991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911T and the PDK Gearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017 | 10:58 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Good grief. The OP wants to know if the PDK in the T is different than the normal one, hence justifying the higher price.

All it took is for the first response to divert it and make it into a PDK vs manual, with a disclaimer that he did not want to go that route. Really?
Old 12-27-2017 | 11:29 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

lol. This is Rennlist what do you expect.

.1 Vs .2 anybody?!
Old 12-27-2017 | 11:52 PM
Crester
Pro

Originally Posted by visitador
Good grief. The OP wants to know if the PDK in the T is different than the normal one, hence justifying the higher price.

All it took is for the first response to divert it and make it into a PDK vs manual, with a disclaimer that he did not want to go that route. Really?
What I found funniest was the person who "reminded" everybody this should not be a manual vs. PDK debate is one of the peopled debating the transmissions in this thread... lol
Old 12-28-2017 | 07:30 AM
Highway2Hell
Intermediate

Thanks to everyone who responded. You can see how passionate people are on PORSCHE vehicles. Yes, I was looking for a just technical data if the PDK ratios where different in the 911T.
I know these threads can deviate, but the reminder I would not be getting the LSD if I got the PDK route was helpful.

I know I'll never track the car. I recently moved to Central Florida and don't have the mountains like upstate New York. Traffic can be heavy here. So I'm looking at this as a luxury GT vehicle and not something to with all the cutting edge bits.

What really has been impressing me is the capability of the new 3.0 engine with the turbo's. I know I better start a new thread on that to get the data differences other than a bigger turbo between models. Ha ha. The GIAC tune featured in a Nick Murray Youtube video seemed impressive. However, spending this kind of money on the vehicle means I'd never do it cause how much I want to protect it. After all, its taken me about 20 years to save for this dream.

As I keep telling myself "PORSCHE, There is no substitute!"... or I could have bought two and a half Vette's by now. Ha ha.
Old 12-28-2017 | 07:53 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Hey, it's all good. I had a suspicion about the OP that he was a lifelong sportscars guy who was anticipating finally getting into a 911. Such people tend to wind up more bonded with the manual transmission than they realize. Sounds like that's not the case at all with Highway2Hell, so PDK will likely be a great choice.

But before you all tar and feather me for thread drift, or pursuing an agenda, you might take a look back at the OP's own commentary on the subject: "I know I'd like the manual, but as I'm aging I worry that my joints will not allow me to enjoy shifting, and PDK seems like a safe choice." Doesn't exactly sound like his mind was made up to me.

Cheers.
Old 12-28-2017 | 08:41 AM
FORENN
Banned

PDK in the T will be outstanding! PDK gearing in T is same as C2 but you don’t have to pay for SC unless you want to add the clock, which is only a few hundred bucks. OP, look forward to seeing your build!
Old 12-28-2017 | 09:41 AM
Dude174
Racer

I agree that life is too short to have a car you've wanted for a long time and plan to keep for a long time have any regrets. I did the same thing when I bought my .1 with PDK - after about a month I started trying to trade it for a 7MT.

The discussion about the 2 isn't a flame war, its sound advice for someone in a similar situation to many of us for whom this car is a "dream" purchase where we/you are in a position to finally afford the car. Therefore the last thing you want is to have a niggling doubt over whether you chose correctly. It costs a lot more to trade later - and sometimes takes a long time (almost 3 years for me - searching, researching, driving different models, back and forth decisions.

Test drive both transmissions if you can. It'll be hard to find a 7MT to test though. Since you're buying the T, one of the changes to the .2 is a lighter twin disc clutch.

Anyway, think about it. If you're firmly decided on pdk - then that's fine too, it's a great transmission. Good luck and don't forget to post pics!
Old 12-28-2017 | 02:19 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

I checked with Porsche. The PDK in the 911 T is identical to the unit in the standard Carrera. It does not have PTV or any unique ratios.

- Mike
Old 12-28-2017 | 06:29 PM
Highway2Hell
Intermediate

Another item I didn't catch. So to get PTV(Plus) with the PDK I'd have to step up to the C2S. I guess I could leave my money in the market and hope the "BULL" keeps running. That way I could get more HP and better brakes too! Ha ha.
I have to give PORSCHE credit, they know how to market and pitch the options of your desire to milk you out of more money.

Thanks for the checking on it. Trying to educating myself, I need to look deeper into the details and the PORSCHE website does not seem that great of a source or its just not that obvious to me.
Old 12-28-2017 | 10:34 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Highway2Hell
Another item I didn't catch. So to get PTV(Plus) with the PDK I'd have to step up to the C2S. I guess I could leave my money in the market and hope the "BULL" keeps running. That way I could get more HP and better brakes too! Ha ha.
I have to give PORSCHE credit, they know how to market and pitch the options of your desire to milk you out of more money.

Thanks for the checking on it. Trying to educating myself, I need to look deeper into the details and the PORSCHE website does not seem that great of a source or its just not that obvious to me.
While I like PTV, I skipped it. Wasn't worth the additional buy-in of the S.

- Mike

Quick Reply: 911T and the PDK Gearing