Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Amazon becoming an option for your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 01:55 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts
Default Is Amazon becoming an option for your Porsche?

I have an Amazon Echo Dot perched on my 991.2 dashboard and a bluetooth receiver plugged into the aux audio port in the glove box. I really like being able to say "Alexa, play pandora"

Note: My reason for the above setup is: I've have failed to get any non mobile phone device to successfully pair bluetooth audio with the car

Anyway, a few places have reported that Audi and Porsche are integrating Amazon Music into their cars:

From: http://mashable.com/2017/12/20/amazo...tes-with-audi/
"Owners of eight 2017 and 2018 Audi models and an undisclosed number of Porsche models can now stream Amazon Music through their vehicles' multimedia systems. All models 2019 and later will be fully integrated"

As an amazon junkie, prime member, and amazon music subscriber - this news makes me very happy. Of all the companies that could provide this sort of thing, amazon is the only one I actually trust.

Assuming it's true, does anyone think we'll see software updates for cars already on the road to enable this? Has Porsche historically added any significant software features after the cars are sold? To me, it seems unlikely - but the flexibility of the PCM platform in 2017+ 911's makes this more of a possibility than ever before - then again, Porsche could see this as another way to make me trade in for a 2019 and they'd be right.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

If you have Android, you can pretty much do the same thing without Alexa by setting up "OK Google" - all you need to do is set up your music preferences in google assistant settings. Also can probably be done with Bixby too.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:44 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
If you have Android, you can pretty much do the same thing without Alexa by setting up "OK Google" - all you need to do is set up your music preferences in google assistant settings. Also can probably be done with Bixby too.
I switched from Android to an iPhone last year, but I have used have amazon music and pandora over the phone with bluetooth audio without any problem. Perhaps Siri could provide a similar feature but I've never used anything voice activated on either phone. Currently, I'll spin up amazon music or pandora by hand when I get in the car. Gives me something to do while I'm waiting for the cold start RPMs to drop! The daily ritual is: 1) Start ignition. 2) Turn off auto stop/start. 3) Raise the front-axle lift (steep driveway). 4) Start a music app on the phone. 5) Open the garage door (I inhale just a little carbon monoxide every day starting the car in a closed garage just so my neighbors won't hate me quite as much).
Old 12-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

I would never kludge up my car with an echo dot (not to mention I do not like the concept of an open mic but that's another story) but this is intriguing. I have Amazon music through CarPlay on my GTI....can you use Siri to tune it?
Old 12-23-2017, 03:38 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I would never kludge up my car with an echo dot (not to mention I do not like the concept of an open mic but that's another story) but this is intriguing. I have Amazon music through CarPlay on my GTI....can you use Siri to tune it?
Oh, yes, you called it: it is so incredibly kludgy, and it sometimes falls off when I mash the throttle - which is why I am also intrigued. I really want all of Alexa in the car - not just music - but I'll take what I can get. I am unconcerned about the microphone - I have a mobile phone in my pocket all day long that is probably running all sorts of nefarious software that I don't know about, so I've pretty much come to terms with microphones. Next time you are planning your next big heist, don't bring your phone!
Old 12-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Post a picture of your dash. I need a good laugh.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:12 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Nope. Not in my Porsche, not in my house.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:52 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pointbye
Post a picture of your dash. I need a good laugh.
Okay, in the spirit of good fun, I hereby submit myself for public shaming...

Echo dot. Glovebox open to show the workaround bluetooth receiver.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:24 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Two ugly warts?

You are really going to get it now
Old 12-23-2017, 09:22 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

Amazon music is played with the awful updated connect app, with radio.net and Napster.

Not much of an evolution since the PCM 3 and a-ha app
Old 12-23-2017, 10:07 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Nope. Not in my Porsche, not in my house.
+1. Why r u driving a Porsche. Why not a Prius? The music is in the rear. U don't need google, pandora, etc.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:56 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles

+1. Why r u driving a Porsche. Why not a Prius? The music is in the rear. U don't need google, pandora, etc.

Then how come you .1 guys keep saying the .2 sounds horrible?
Old 12-23-2017, 11:30 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles

The music might be in the rear, but I'm not making it that much easier for Amazon to track me any more, let alone listen to what I say!

Sure, they may - stress MAY - not be listening in to everything now, but it wouldn't be that hard to capture and analyze all sounds that thing can pick up.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:50 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Then how come you .1 guys keep saying the .2 sounds horrible?

Old 12-24-2017, 01:43 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,780 Likes on 4,774 Posts

And here I thought this post was about being able to order a Porsche using Amazon Prime.

Quick Reply: Is Amazon becoming an option for your Porsche?