Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Amazon becoming an option for your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 03:34 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
And here I thought this post was about being able to order a Porsche using Amazon Prime.
Doesn't matter - it got turned into 991.1 vs 991.2 just like all the other threads

That, plus some arbitrary comments about tracking by people who probably carry a mobile phone. One with a microphone. And a camera. And gps. All built in. Sigh.

Oh well.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:47 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Doesn't matter - it got turned into 991.1 vs 991.2 just like all the other threads

That, plus some arbitrary comments about tracking by people who probably carry a mobile phone. One with a microphone. And a camera. And gps. All built in. Sigh.

Oh well.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:32 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Okay, in the spirit of good fun, I hereby submit myself for public shaming...

Echo dot. Glovebox open to show the workaround bluetooth receiver.

There is just something inherently wrong with this .......
Old 12-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

Anything that lets you enjoy your Porsche more is okay with me.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

digits - assuming you have to set your media selector on aux all the time?

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 12-24-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:29 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

If you really must do this, Garmin has an Alexa-enabled device made specifically for mounting in your car and can stream music via your phones data connection to the car stereo using Bluetooth. I don't have it and don't really know anything about it other than seeing it in an ad flyer recently. It's much smaller than the Dot as shown in the photo below. It does Nav too of course.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/591054

Old 12-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I am a big Amazon fan also. For your next car consider two things.

1 Maybe Alexa is coming to Porsche as it has BMW
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/27/1...tegration-2018

2 Hard to beat the Spotify (high bitrate option), Apple CarPlay, Burmester combo.

And for the under informed paranoid, Alexa sends (encrypted) words to a server only after a wake word. I would be much more worried about any websites (like this one) that require use of a password.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:50 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

It's naive of you to think Alexa only pays attention when you say its name or wake her up. Amazon knows more about you than you think (as does google, facebook, etc).
Old 12-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
It's naive of you to think Alexa only pays attention when you say its name or wake her up. Amazon knows more about you than you think (as does google, facebook, etc).
back it up
Old 12-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
Anything that lets you enjoy your Porsche more is okay with me.
^ this
Old 12-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/alexa-...rd-your-voice/

plenty of stories also of how people can spy on other people through computer cams, even baby cams, etc.

If you using an electronic device with recorders, cams, voice recognition, don't think you can't be spied on

amazon, google and the rest are enormous data collecting machines who track what you watch, what you buy, what you look up

if you don't believe it, that's your prerogative
Old 12-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

plenty of stories also of how people can spy on other people through computer cams, even baby cams, etc.

If you using an electronic device with recorders, cams, voice recognition, don't think you can't be spied on

amazon, google and the rest are enormous data collecting machines who track what you watch, what you buy, what you look up

"Alexa sends (encrypted) words to a server only after a wake word." All I said.

I have neither the time or interest to switch to your topic but feel free to back up your words "It's naive of you to think Alexa only pays attention when you say its name or wake her up."
Old 12-24-2017, 02:41 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

If I don't want Google or Apple or Amazon to hear what curse words I utter inside my car, I can always leave my mobile phone and Echo Dot at home. But...

Some cars are equipped with cameras.
Some cars have a microphone built right in to the cabin for voice control.
Some cars have built in GPS and tie directly into the mobile networks to report the position and speed of the car - they can even tell you how much gas is left in the tank and whether the windows are open or the doors are unlocked.

Oh, wait a sec - that's my car!

Everyone stopped paying attention to this built-in stuff a long time ago even though it's clear that the control of those systems and the data obtained does not rest in your hands. GM's Onstar system was clearly remotely controllable: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/21/au...-wiretaps.html

So I really wonder why the auto insurance companies want people to add more "telematics" devices to collect vehicle data (in exchange for lower insurance premiums e.g. https://www.progressive.com/auto/discounts/snapshot/ https://www.allstate.com/drive-wise.aspx) when there are so many existing data sources that they could use right now.

How much would those insurance companies pay Porsche to automatically find out if you notched a new personal best for your maximum top speed or lateral g's last week? That sounds like an untapped revenue source for Porsche and all the other car makers.

I hear that the old 911's and 964's don't have this kind of onboard stuff (not sure about the 993's since those are early OBD and internet era), and they come with that air-cooled NA sound. Will my Echo Dot stay put on the dashboard?

Quick Reply: Is Amazon becoming an option for your Porsche?