Sponsored by:

GIAC finally releases .2 GTS tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 12:55 AM
BlackOps911
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GIAC finally releases .2 GTS tuning

They posted it on the GIAC TUNING IG page yesterday. The .2 GTS ECU has finally been cracked.

Thoughts? Yes? No? Maybe? Would you? Pros/Cons?

They require you to ship your ECU to them, which they flash and send back to you.

Cost is 2200USD (I have inquired).

You can swipe through the 3-4 pics to see charts/graphs.... More info below.

Discuss.
View this post on Instagram
Old 12-13-2017, 03:23 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Fabspeed also has ECU tuning for the 991.2 GTS through bench programming the ECU ( send it in to be tuned) for $ 1895.
They quote 525 hp for the GTS.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:48 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No thanks, the peak boost with the GTS turbos is already 22 PSI for a peak effective compression ratio of 25:1 (98RON/AKI93)

I believe the 992.1 GTS will have around 470HP as per Panorama.

Last edited by randr; 12-13-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:38 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

It probably does produce around/over 500hp but on 93+ octane fuel and most likely not once IAT comes up. Still, a gain over stock in most conditions probably.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:36 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So the take away here is they gain roughly 50rwhp / 50rwtq from whatever the car actually puts down.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
So the take away here is they gain roughly 50rwhp / 50rwtq from whatever the car actually puts down.
And voids your warranty. For the most part.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:55 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'm not overly concerned with voiding my warranty. I've spoken with my SA and a few other people in the dealership about the tune and, at least in my area, they seem to be ok qith it. There's a huge shift in the industry position regarding tuning and software. Hell the MB dealer that I drove the AMG GTS at when I was deciding between to two cars was a RennTech dealer and installer. The RennTech tune doesnt come with a special warranty, so you tell me how concerned that dealer was with tuned cars. I think its down to the dealers position on it. My M5 is tuned and has been since I bought it, 20 trips to the dealer, no issues.

With the Porsche, at least at my dealership, as long as its a legit outfit, i.e. COBB, they dont seem to care. My SA said they have lots of cars come through with a tunes, its never been an issue.

I'm definitely tuning, I just want the ability to flash it stock before visits, which unfortunately is GIAC's biggest downfall.

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 12-13-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:45 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Not every owner cares about warranties. Me included.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:10 PM
BlackOps911
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if your car ls leased and you decide to tune it?
I guess one could flash back to stock before the lease is up....but what if they randomly find out ECU is tuned when you went in for something random like a recall or software update etc...
What could they say to you..?
So many variables.... but man, that car would be a monster w/ over 500
Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm not overly concerned with voiding my warranty. I've spoken with my SA and a few other people in the dealership about the tune and, at least in my area, they seem to be ok qith it. There's a huge shift in the industry position regarding tuning and software. Hell the MB dealer that I drove the AMG GTS at when I was deciding between to two cars was a RennTech dealer and installer. The RennTech tune doesnt come with a special warranty, so you tell me how concerned that dealer was with tuned cars. I think its down to the dealers position on it. My M5 is tuned and has been since I bought it, 20 trips to the dealer, no issues.

With the Porsche, at least at my dealership, as long as its a legit outfit, i.e. COBB, GIAC, etc. they dont seem to care. My SA said they have lots of cars come through with a tunes, its never been an issue.

I'm definitely tuning, I just want the ability to flash it stock before visits, which unfortunately is GIAC's biggest downfall.
It's your car, do what you want. But understand that it's PCNA that determines if a warranty claim will be paid, not your dealer. Porsche is very strict on warranty claims. I think you can be pretty sure that any engine related warranty claim will be denied if you've had your engine tuned.

If you think Porsche doesn't care, give them a call and ask them, or ask the tune vendor to give you a written statement signed by an officer of the company, duly authorized to make such commitments, that they will pay for any warranty claim denied by Porsche.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:21 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

With the Porsche, at least at my dealership, as long as its a legit outfit, i.e. COBB, GIAC, etc. they dont seem to care. My SA said they have lots of cars come through with a tunes, its never been an issue.

Im with you on your comments regarding the tunes and effect on warranty.
With what you said why are you wanting to be able to flash it back to stock for dealer visits then?
Old 12-13-2017, 07:06 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Love these tune threads. The predictability of some of the responses is fantastic!
The following 2 users liked this post by mac10:
NightBlueTTS (08-11-2019), ZerOG (08-07-2019)
Old 12-13-2017, 07:17 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Im with you on your comments regarding the tunes and effect on warranty.
With what you said why are you wanting to be able to flash it back to stock for dealer visits then?
I can’t speak for ///M3THOD, but back when I had a Macan I had a Cobb tune on it. All I can say is WOW regarding the performance! Anyway the Service Managsr knew about it because I told him, and the Tech who always works on my P-cars actually recommended Cobb over Racechip which is a piggy back system. So the dealer was OK with it; everyone was on the same page. Having said that, if there was a Porsche ecu mandatory update while the car was in for service, whatever was on the ecu would be overwritten by the update. So every time I took my car in for service, I put the factory tune back on. Wasn’t trying to hide anything, but didn’t want my Cobb tune overwritten either.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Originally Posted by flickroll
I can’t speak for ///M3THOD, but back when I had a Macan I had a Cobb tune on it. All I can say is WOW regarding the performance! Anyway the Service Managsr knew about it because I told him, and the Tech who always works on my P-cars actually recommended Cobb over Racechip which is a piggy back system. So the dealer was OK with it; everyone was on the same page. Having said that, if there was a Porsche ecu mandatory update while the car was in for service, whatever was on the ecu would be overwritten by the update. So every time I took my car in for service, I put the factory tune back on. Wasn’t trying to hide anything, but didn’t want my Cobb tune overwritten either.
Exactly. You’re not hiding anything from the dealer, they know. It’s just so they don’t screw anything up.

My M5 had superficial light damage done to the front fender and required bodywork. I didn’t put the car back to stock when I dropped it for bodywork and when I came to pick the car up 2 weeks later it the dash looked like a Christmas tree and it would barely drive.

The bodyshop had, as a courtesy, tried to clear codes and update it, which made an absolute mess of my tune. It ended up requiring me to Uber home to pickup my laptop, plug it into the OBD2 port and finally get on the phone for 2 hours to troubleshoot.

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 12-13-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:30 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
Agreed. My dealer is cool with tunes - I’ve tuned every BMW I’ve bought from them in their motorsports division - and said they would be ok with a COBB type OBD tune.. But they were 100% NOT ok with removing the ECU to do it. If they were I would have the GIAC tune now.

Quick Reply: GIAC finally releases .2 GTS tuning