Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO 2017 Demo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017 | 09:20 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I've never understood this myth about red cars being speeding magnets. I've never owned a non-red Vette, and never received a speeding ticket.
+1

I've had two previous red sports cars with no issues or unwanted attention.

Now, my current 991 is black so let's talk about dirt magnets...
Old 12-20-2017 | 10:40 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Porsche's traditional red, 'Guards Red', is a great color, but one I would personally never own... Too flashy, to much attention. Not my thing.

Carmine Red on the other hand is a gorgeous, sophisticated color that would be one of my personal first pics. Much darker, though it often photographs as closer to guards red with camera's and image processing color correction. Almost maroon under certain light.

On resale, Carmine Red is a really hot seller with Cayman 981 buyers, honestly you don't see very many in 991's in Carmine. My guess is that it would be neutral to positive on resale, not likely to be negative.

Of course completely IMHO...

Last edited by pfbz; 12-21-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2017 | 10:52 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

On the demo thing.... Some folks really feel that PCNA 'demo' cars may have led a pretty hard life and should be avoided. I know the instructors encouraged us to drive them pretty hard when I was at a 2017 991 intro event with PCNA 'demo' cars.

8,000 miles of some lawyer or doctor driving it back and forth to his office is nothing. 8,000 miles of being continually flogged by Porsche instructor hot-shoes and their students is a different thing entirely and deserves a much larger discount IMHO.

Old 12-20-2017 | 11:38 PM
jnolan
Pro

Carmine red is a great color, I’d definitely have that on my list... but I also like Signal Yellow and anything orange.
Old 12-21-2017 | 11:54 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spooky3042

Another random question: This car has sport package + PASM. As much as I love the look and the performance, I live in San Francisco, a city with tons of potholes and ridiculous grades, and I'm wondering how painful it's going to be to live with. Anyone have an opinion on that?
I specifically avoided SPASM because of the City. Given how Van Ness is a mess, not to mention Masonic, I seldom drive to the City in my 991.1 with normal PASM. That is where the Cayenne shines.

There are a lot of opinions about whether SPASM is a must or not. But if you plan to use your 991 as a daily driver within the City, I would avoid having that option.
Old 12-21-2017 | 06:33 PM
spooky3042
AutoX

Originally Posted by pfbz
On the demo thing.... Some folks really feel that PCNA 'demo' cars may have led a pretty hard life and should be avoided. I know the instructors encouraged us to drive them pretty hard when I was at a 2017 991 intro event with PCNA 'demo' cars.

8,000 miles of some lawyer or doctor driving it back and forth to his office is nothing. 8,000 miles of being continually flogged by Porsche instructor hot-shoes and their students is a different thing entirely and deserves a much larger discount IMHO.
That's the one. Trouble is that the dealer is not giving me much detail on the cars history. I'm sure they would have some information, even if they bought it at auction right?

Starting to feel like offering 107K was too high. Listing price was lowered to 110 recently.
Old 12-21-2017 | 08:02 PM
Unframed
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Sounds like the car we discussed last weekend:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1039...carrera-s.html
Hi, I am the OP of that thread. The car I drove was guards red. Probably not the same car.

To the OP of this thread: I hope the car you’re looking at is solid and that you get a good deal. There is use and there is abuse. The demo car I test drove didn’t show signs of abuse. But if the dealer is not being forthcoming then that’s a red flag.
Old 12-21-2017 | 09:23 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

That's the one. Trouble is that the dealer is not giving me much detail on the cars history. I'm sure they would have some information, even if they bought it at auction right?

Starting to feel like offering 107K was too high. Listing price was lowered to 110 recently.
Don't be afraid to be aggressive and don't fall into their friendliness attitude. Yes it's nice of them and it may feel disrespectful to be aggressive, but you must lookout for your pockets. You're gonna bug some dealers but screw em. They're praying on our wallets.

Dealers buy lease returns and demo cars from Porsche at low prices (think mid 80k-mid 90k range). They make a killing off every car. There's LOTS of wiggle room but some dealers just won't budge. They think the car sells itself and will let it sit for 8+months even up to over a year. Forget those dealers.

I started shopping nationwide and that opened up so many doors. Just made a purchase on a brand new '17 GTS, dealer gave me 10% off 150k MSRP!! I emailed 20 other dealers nationwide and asked if they would match or beat. Nobody came close. One Ohio dealer asked me if I was insane. LOL. Now I have to deal with shipping but its well worth it because of how much I saved. I am located in AZ, PM me if you want the dealer name.
Old 12-22-2017 | 05:36 AM
K-A
Drifting

On a 911, if the car checks out, the price is right, you love the build, and you've got plenty of warranty time on it, I wouldn't let being a demo dissuade you. By the time the warranty runs out, you'll have had your own "print" on the car for long enough to have a feel for whether it's a keeper.
Old 12-22-2017 | 09:11 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

The below chart is wrong. I could easily get 78K for my 2012.5.

Sorry hope you didn't take offense, meant that jokingly

Yep I'm aware of 991.1 vs 991.2.

Does anyone know Can anyone give me an estimate on what I'd pay in depreciation over the next 2-3 years? I've been estimating 12K / yr but starting to feel like that's low. Based on this seems like I should be expecting 15K/yr over the first 3 yrs. Also seems like the car I'm considering is above average mileage wise...

http://flatsixes.com/porsche-culture...-depreciation/

Quick Reply: CPO 2017 Demo?