Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes...another Ctek charger / lighter question. Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017 | 12:42 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Default UPDTE: Yes...another Ctek charger / lighter question. Help needed

First off I have read all of the posts on this topic but still can't figure out what's happening with mine.

I have a '15 GTS and I got the Ctek 4.3 charger. I have been running it via the lighter adaptor under the center arm rest as well as the footwell. It has been hit or miss.

Half the time I come back to the car and all the lights are lit all the way to green like it should be. The other half of the time all the lights are out and the Ctek power light is flashing meaning it lost connection to the battery.

It almost seems like sometime the socket is turning off after a period of time but then sometime it works fine. I've checked and I pretty sure it's not any of the connections.

2 days ago I walked by the car and noticed that the lights were off and the power light was flashing so it had lost connection. As soon as I opened the car door.. the socket turned on and the charger started to fire up again on it's own. The next morning when I went to look at it it was as it should be...All the light all the way to green.

I'm trying to figure out why sometimes the socket seems to turn off and others it will stay on. It's totally inconsistent. The same thing seems to happy using the footwell socket.

I know the most of you will say "just hook it up directly to the battery, but I'd really rather get the lighter to work.

I do have a V1 plugged into the OBD port. I'm not sure this has anything to do with it?

Anybody seen this or can help me? I wondering if it is a faulty Ctek?

Thanks!!

Last edited by jsimon777; 02-01-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2017 | 12:49 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Do you lock your doors? Early on I had issues with my maintainer, but ever since I started to lock my doors I have not had issues with it.
Old 12-19-2017 | 12:52 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

I don't lock my doors and I haven't experienced this disconnect issue. I've always used the footwell.
Old 12-19-2017 | 12:57 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Try connecting the charger directly to the battery to see if the 12V socket is the source of the problem. My Ctek 4.3 is attached to the battery with the terminal adapter and I've never had any issues.
Old 12-19-2017 | 01:16 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

It’s the socket, I have the same issue .
Old 12-19-2017 | 01:26 PM
limegreen
Pro

I have noticed when using the passenger footwell 12v port that the charger needs to be turned ON within a few minutes after the ignition is switched off. If not the car appears to shut that port down along with the rest of the car.

What I think happens is that the port detects input and keeps the circuit ON as long as the input remains there .
Old 12-19-2017 | 01:42 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4pipes
It’s the socket, I have the same issue .
When you say it's the socket...meaning it's a bad socket and needs to be fixed?
Old 12-19-2017 | 01:48 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Do you lock your doors? Early on I had issues with my maintainer, but ever since I started to lock my doors I have not had issues with it.
I will try this and report back.

Originally Posted by blepski
I have noticed when using the passenger footwell 12v port that the charger needs to be turned ON within a few minutes after the ignition is switched off. If not the car appears to shut that port down along with the rest of the car.

What I think happens is that the port detects input and keeps the circuit ON as long as the input remains there .
I will try this. I found someone online that says you should connect it with the key turn on...then turn it off. Maybe this is why is works sometimes and not others. Interesting.

Although, yesterday all I did was open the car do which powered everything back on and then close the door and it stayed on.
Old 12-19-2017 | 02:02 PM
jay elliott
4th Gear

My experience with a Battery Tender using cigarette lighter port is that if I plug it in immediately after turning off ignition, the charger will remain on. If I plug it in hours after ignition is turned off, the charger will turn off after a short while. I never lock the doors when charging.
Old 12-19-2017 | 02:07 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Plug into footwell socket
close door
plug into wall
lock car
done
Old 12-19-2017 | 02:10 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Homeles
close door
plug into wall
lock car
done
Just wondering if you do this right after a drive or have you come back hours later to do it and it works fine?
Old 12-19-2017 | 02:27 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jsimon777
Just wondering if you do this right after a drive or have you come back hours later to do it and it works fine?
not sure. Really never payed attention. Been using the CTEK like this for years without problems. Sometimes it sits for up to 4 months. Always starts right up with a full battery indicated. The one cars battery is 5 y.o. and always good
Old 12-19-2017 | 02:42 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

This is all speculation on my part. I have a generic CTEK that I bought when I had a 987. It does not seem to work in my 2014 Cayenne's cigarette lighter plug. Like all comments here, it will turn off after awhile. However, the same generic CTEK works in my 2012.5 991 cigarette lighter plug.

I also bought a slightly used Porsche branded CTEK charger from Ebay. This one works with the Cayenne's cigarette lighter plug. I got a feeling that Porsche added some specific software in the Porsche branded CTEK so that only the branded ones work in the newer cars. Just an opinion.
Old 12-19-2017 | 02:45 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Homeles
close door
plug into wall
lock car
done
Originally Posted by visitador
This is all speculation on my part. I have a generic CTEK that I bought when I had a 987. It does not seem to work in my 2014 Cayenne's cigarette lighter plug. Like all comments here, it will turn off after awhile. However, the same generic CTEK works in my 2012.5 991 cigarette lighter plug.

I also bought a slightly used Porsche branded CTEK charger from Ebay. This one works with the Cayenne's cigarette lighter plug. I got a feeling that Porsche added some specific software in the Porsche branded CTEK so that only the branded ones work in the newer cars. Just an opinion.

I actually ALSO have a branded CTEK that's maybe 3 years old. I used it on my 997.2. I'll do some testing and see what happens if I use that one. I'm hoping that plugging it it right after I drive vs. waiting a few hours to do it is what's causing this. For now it's the only logical answer of why it works sometimes and not others.
Old 12-19-2017 | 03:14 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by visitador

This ditto's my experience. Have a CTEK branded maintainer and when using that in my 2014, no matter which plug I plugged it into, after about 30 minutes, the plug would power down. After purchasing the Porsche maintainer, it works like a champ.

Quick Reply: Yes...another Ctek charger / lighter question. Help needed