Sponsored by:

Three 991.2 targas for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 11:11 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Why is there only that one tree that is changing colors?
Originally Posted by Cayman7
Looks like a purpleleaf plum tree - that's its natural color, not a Fall change
Looks like a Japanese Maple to me.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2000

I have almost 9000 miles on mine and can't ever recall thinking if only I could shave 138 pounds off the curb weight I would have had more fun.
Wow, that is a gorgeous car!!!
Old 12-22-2017, 12:25 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158099656@N07/, on Flickr

This car is just plain fun. To Drive. Look at. Talk about (even with the haters).
Old 12-22-2017, 03:06 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

I do like the look of it.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:23 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I thinks that’s actually right. I couldn’t remember exactly, but that jogged my memory. Good work Lex.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:08 AM
joeacc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have had a 991 targa since June of 2014 and have enjoyed it the whole time. I will admit the manual GTS version is more exciting to drive than a pdk 4S.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:05 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,296 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Originally Posted by bwiele

I thinks that’s actually right. I couldn’t remember exactly, but that jogged my memory. Good work Lex.
That is what I thought initially so I googled images of both trees and agree that it is a purpleleaf plum tree. Here are images of both:

purpleleaf plum tree

Japanese red maple.

To keep on topic, I agree with others that the Targa is most beautiful 911.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:05 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Originally Posted by joeacc
We have had a 991 targa since June of 2014 and have enjoyed it the whole time. I will admit the manual GTS version is more exciting to drive than a pdk 4S.
7MT with GTS power is a blast to drive. While a dual clutch auto is neat, a day in a loaner without a manual transmission diminishes the full driving experience. Especially in Sport Plus. Top back. Rev matching down shifts. Some metal playing on the sound system. Some twisty country road. My daily therapy.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Safety

Sorry but that is not correct. Unless you have
a roll bar a convertible is about 20 times more dangerous. I pulled up on a jag convertible on Lawyers road in northern. VA Lady's arm was in the middle of the road and she was very dead. That being said I occasionally ride a motorcycle which is the most dangerous, but a convertible gets ab easy 2nd place.

QUOTE=Selo;14683860]I'm not that old, but I'd assume the Targa came about when that wasn't the case - when convertibles represented a performance and structural/safety challenge. Fast forward to present:. Convertibles now present little structural or performance penalty. As far as I can tell, the 991 Targa was pursued purely for nostalgic and aesthetic reasons. It does nothing better than a Cab.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-26-2017, 06:56 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Sorry but that is not correct. Unless you have
a roll bar a convertible is about 20 times more dangerous. I pulled up on a jag convertible on Lawyers road in northern. VA Lady's arm was in the middle of the road and she was very dead. That being said I occasionally ride a motorcycle which is the most dangerous, but a convertible gets ab easy 2nd place.

QUOTE=Selo;14683860]I'm not that old, but I'd assume the Targa came about when that wasn't the case - when convertibles represented a performance and structural/safety challenge. Fast forward to present:. Convertibles now present little structural or performance penalty. As far as I can tell, the 991 Targa was pursued purely for nostalgic and aesthetic reasons. It does nothing better than a Cab.
[/QUOTE]
Is your contention that you like the Targa better because it is safer?
Also, what do you base your statistics upon? Do you have data to show that 20x more people are killed in convertibles each year than corresponding coupes or Targas?
Old 12-26-2017, 07:00 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

+ more. Should have zero premium to cab.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:28 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanscribe
+ more. Should have zero premium to cab.
Targa and vert cost the same. The difficulty is that the Targa only comes in AWD, so the cheaper RWD version is not available.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:39 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

1. There is a 7k Base build price difference 103 for cab to 110 for targa to start with
2. The higher issue is you need a 4S and four wheel steering in targa to regain the feel of a base cab given the extra high center mass weight.

Drive a cab and targa back to back as you can at PExp and you'll see the difference in feel and driving dynamics.

Best thing you can do before buying a Targa is not to drive any other model. It's a pretty car but loses sports car feel for looks. Elegant for sure but multiple incompatible personality syndrome. If money no object then you can add 35k in trim/options to regain the sports feel. Why P has a much larger proportion of high end Targas (read here 50% for 4GTS trims?)

Dare I say that why you don't hear a lot of Targa owners chime in on RN, less a driver's driver? (Cue the mean reverting commentary...
Old 12-26-2017, 11:19 PM
vwduud
Instructor

1. There is a 7k Base build price difference 103 for cab to 110 for targa to start with
2. The higher issue is you need a 4S and four wheel steering in targa to regain the feel of a base cab given the extra high center mass weight.

Drive a cab and targa back to back as you can at PExp and you'll see the difference in feel and driving dynamics.

Best thing you can do before buying a Targa is not to drive any other model. It's a pretty car but loses sports car feel for looks. Elegant for sure but multiple incompatible personality syndrome. If money no object then you can add 35k in trim/options to regain the sports feel. Why P has a much larger proportion of high end Targas (read here 50% for 4GTS trims?)

Dare I say that why you don't hear a lot of Targa owners chime in on RN, less a driver's driver? (Cue the mean reverting commentary...
Based on my JDDExp (Jim’s Daily Driver Experience), this is every bit of a sports car. Perhaps if I needed the nth degree of performance on a race track would it matter.

I do race. Scaled RC cars. For 30 years. Weather permitting, 2 to 4 times a month. There, where my car’s ONLY purpose is fast lap times, High center of gravity is something to consider. Along with roll center and all of the other tuning necessities.

The other 20+ days of the month, I enjoy the driving experience of a fun, well engineered sports car. If it’s not raining, the top is back.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:33 PM
Speed2000
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The targa bar makes the chassis stiffer than the cab and therefor less flex hence better handling, Everybody knows that.

Quick Reply: Three 991.2 targas for sale