Sponsored by:

PPF vs. au naturel

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 02:45 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
This! tailgating is why the windshield on my daily driver looks like it's been completely sandblasted after only two years.

I try to leave a lot of distance in the Porsche, partly for this reason, and partly to avoid any road rage scenarios that might come about from following a bit too close.
What's life without a little road rage?
Old 12-11-2017, 02:55 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have Suntek, and I can’t see the difference between the panels. I did the entire front end, hood, rockers, and a pillars, and above the windshield. The only seam I can see is on the a-pillars, hated spending all that $ but it gives me options, and I can drive the car without the fear I had without the PPF.

I dont think the coatings are are that great, they cost a ton and so far the Carpro reload sealant has be working great.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I try to leave a lot of distance in the Porsche, partly for this reason, and partly to avoid any road rage scenarios that might come about from following a bit too close.
Not to mention avoiding, y'know, death.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:32 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I drove about 15,000kms on highways over the last 12 months so sandblasting is an issue. Highway or city mostly OP?
Old 12-11-2017, 04:28 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I go back and forth. I don't like any PPF surface as much as I like the surface of paint—so PPF reminds me a bit of those clear plastic covers people used to put on their couches and car seats. Also, if film was better all around as a surface, I wonder if cars wouldn't be made for it in the first place?

On the other hand, the issues raised with paint thickness, peace of mind, etc are all very valid. I did PPF on the rockers, side scoops, and back bumper behind the rear wheels on the GT4 with no regrets—aiming to protect the car from its own tires. The front end went "au naturel" and I enjoyed the rich surfaces of its paint for 14,000 miles—but there is a little bit of patina. It doesn't bother me. At all. YMMV...and I am thinking about PPF on the 991.2, mainly because it's PTS and it might be nice not to worry so much about cars ahead of me spraying stuff. We'll see.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:56 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

I’m in the no PPF camp. Maybe just the way I learned it. Particularly now with DrColorChip, touching up the paint isn’t that big a thing. Opting to drive without protection on both my GT4 and 991.

FWIW, my “au natural” path has worked just fine. Our Club Coupe is at nearly 10k miles and won our class at the PCA Parade Concours in Spokane this summer, although we did use a decidedly un-clear bra to protect the hood and front bumper on the drive there from the Bay Area:

​​​​​​​
Old 12-11-2017, 07:23 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I have never done PPF before on any of my cars, but my only "nice" car experience has been leasing my .2 C4. Didn't opt for PPF since I was leasing, it's a lot more carefree of an experience than owning my old Merc and Lexus

I am going to take delivery of a GT3 in the Spring, and I will likely go for the PPF on that since it is a purchase and I intend to keep it for a very long time God willing
Old 12-11-2017, 07:36 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Does anyone here have knowledge on how long you can keep PPF on a car, and if there’s an issue to the paint if you have them on for a very long time?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Does anyone here have knowledge on how long you can keep PPF on a car, and if there’s an issue to the paint if you have them on for a very long time?
Have same question.
Never had any film on my 997CS. Had to touch up with Dr.Colorchip a few times. It worked fine, but obviously depending on the size of a chip it may still be quite visible. I guess it's same with a PPF. A rock may easily damage the film to extent it will be visible and even perhaps worse looking than a paint chip. So I am undecided. One thing for sure I will do it on the headlights.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:09 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I was told the longer you keep it on the adhesive chemicals used in application will interact with the clear coating of the paint and eventually eat through it and attack the molecular integrity of the paint itself until it essentially liquefies it and the film simply slides off at speed.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:12 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
I was told the longer you keep it on the adhesive chemicals used in application will interact with the clear coating of the paint and eventually eat through it and attack the molecular integrity of the paint itself until it essentially liquefies it and the film simply slides off at speed.
A$$hole.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:36 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the minority here. I do not have or want PPF. I have a white 2013 Carrera S with 40K on the clock - not a daily driver but we use it alot for road trips, like to Asheville Treffen. I virtually have no marks or chips on the car. I am very careful to stay away from vehicles that could throw stones or gravel roads etc. I keep the car pristine with the paint protected with sealant. It looks new. No matter what one uses, maintenance is needed. I have had PPF on prior Porsches and didn't like it. I really like the look of well conditioned paint. IMO it looks much better than a plastic coating.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:48 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have experience with ClearGuard Nano SR, it's supposed to eliminate some of the orange-peel effect of other PPFs. But maybe it's too new to have any long-term effects known.

Cheers, -Peter
Old 12-11-2017, 11:03 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I got a nasty rock chip the very first day I got my GTS, on my way to the detailer to have PPF installed. So yeah I'm definitely going to do it. The 991 for some reason just seems to be a rock magnet. My GT3 was the same way, it got peppered, and I actually had to replace the film a couple of times under warranty. For some reason my Huracan never seemed to get hit as much as my 991s.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:00 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone have a recommendation for a good ppf installer in central NJ? I have ppf (hood, front fenders, headlights) on my 991C2S (but that was installed by the dealer in Philly). would like to find the right installer for a new .2 GT3 when it arrives, ideally local to NJ. Thanks.

Quick Reply: PPF vs. au naturel