Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF vs. au naturel

Old 12-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default PPF vs. au naturel

I see a lot threads on here about paint protection film regarding what, where, how much, recommendations, etc., but haven't really seen anyone say "screw the PPF, I'll keep the car washed & polished, and unleash Dr. ColorChip as necessary". So I'm just curious if anybody eschews PPF for au naturel, or is it kind of an unwritten rule that PPF is required on a 911?

My curiosity is somewhat based on the fact I have a GTS on order, have no no one close I would consider a PPF pro, and would like to see experiences with or without.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:55 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

If there’s nobody super good nearby just have them do a pre-cut PPF. You’ll have to deal with cleaning wax out of the edges of it, but that’s better than a botched custom job.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:59 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts

I got a full frontal for my 18 C4S through the dealer who outsourced it to a good shop. So far, it has held up very well and I plan to drive my car all year round in NH. In my previous Porsche, 13 Boxster S, the front had a few small chips after one summer of driving. It wasn’t driven in the winters. The cost of the film is not much compared to the price of the car but I was also hesitant. Certainly the front end takes a beating in these low cars.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:05 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I am not a fan of PPF, had it on my Z06 and did not like it. I lease my 911 so I am not as concerned about chips. I have 8500 miles and cannot see any chips so far.
Eric
Old 12-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, Andreas Preuninger is in the non PPF camp. He likes a good patina on the paint.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:21 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

If you live in an area where you pick up a lot of rock chips in the paint, then get the PPF for protection.
Out here in So Cal, it seems to be required. When I lived in upstate New York, no.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:24 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

i skipped the ppf. i have a black car. i am an idiot. i will be repainting the hood at some point. i will never repeat this mistake.

my hesitation came from bad experiences on the 996 way back when. the tech has moved on from then significantly (as i now understand). next car will have ppf before i take delivery.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

My dealer is the only one I can seem to find within reasonable striking distance. I had them do my '15 Cayman (bumper & rocker panels ), and they did a reasonable job given they only do pre-cuts with the 5 year warranty basic Llumar. The pre-cuts aren't too bad, as long as you don't look too closely.

The roads here aren't bad at all, and paint chipping is not a big problem. I just worry about taking it on trips with a bunch of highway driving. I'm probably going to be forced to use the dealer, if I want it done. I'd probably get the front end done, but am kind of concerned how they do a pre-cut for the GTS bumper. It looks like it would require a lot of cuts/gaps.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had it on my M3, went without on my .1 and after only 18,000 miles on it and looking like it was sandblasted, I went back with it on my .2 --- the front bumper cover paint is pretty thin.

In fact when I picked up my car from the PEC, I taped the front with blue painters tape. When I got home (900 miles or so), the tape looked like I drove high speed on Daytona beach it was so covered with sand and small rocky bits.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:40 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you’re leasing go au natural.

If you’re buying I’d recommend PPF.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

I think I’m going to stress less and enjoy more. If I have to respray the front bumper, I will. At about 3 ft. away, ignorance is bliss.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
So I'm just curious if anybody eschews PPF for au naturel, or is it kind of an unwritten rule that PPF is required on a 911?
Can't say for 911, but I owned a Toyota Supra Turbo for 16 years, and didn't use PPF. Mainly because PPF wasn't a thing when I bought it. At least, I don't think it was.

Chips were a real problem. In fact, at one point they had to complete re-spray the front bumper, because the paint started coming away in strips. My wife's car ended up with a similar problem on one fender, where a local touch-up wasn't enough, they had to re-spray the fender.
Name:  PMm7tZ7.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  110.9 KB

I think it's really a statistical problem. The more years you own the car, the higher the probability is that you'll encounter a paint problem that can't be touched up. If you're envisioning 5+ years of ownership, and put a reasonable number of miles on the car, I'd say PPF is the better idea.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:59 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I didn't have it on my 997.2. The buyer in the private-party sale wasn't happy with the couple of dozen chips up on the front, nor was I during my ownership to be honest. It was his only real complaint about the car. I ended up discounting the car for the sale as much as PPF would have cost in the first place. Granted that it probably wouldn't have been as much a problem in a trade-in or lease-end situation.

The front-end PPF on my 991 has been fantastic. It makes cleaning bugs off the nose easier than any car I've ever had while completely blocking 99% of chips. The film has been nicked a little in a couple of places down low where there must have been bigger gravel impacts, but even there the film seems to have prevented any serious paint damage.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:07 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

BTW OP, I know there are those that will argue otherwise, but Porsche and the premier film installers I've seen address this do not recommend putting film on the headlights if you were considering that too. It can pull off the UV coating on the headlight glass.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:13 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
My dealer is the only one I can seem to find within reasonable striking distance. I had them do my '15 Cayman (bumper & rocker panels ), and they did a reasonable job given they only do pre-cuts with the 5 year warranty basic Llumar. The pre-cuts aren't too bad, as long as you don't look too closely.

The roads here aren't bad at all, and paint chipping is not a big problem. I just worry about taking it on trips with a bunch of highway driving. I'm probably going to be forced to use the dealer, if I want it done. I'd probably get the front end done, but am kind of concerned how they do a pre-cut for the GTS bumper. It looks like it would require a lot of cuts/gaps.
Do XPEL pre-cuts on the hood and fenders “fold” in or do they go right to the edges (with lines)? Mine thankfully has the full front wrapped, but the hood and fender lines are (also thankfully) tucked away. Then it has some door handle, door edge and outer rear bumper pieces that are obviously pre cut which works great for those.

As for wrap in general. Never had them on my sedans or my larger coupes or Macan. Didn’t have a problem with chips on those (minus couple here or there easily touched up, and not nearly worth the price of wrap), but I think it’s a must on a low car like a 911. Totally different ballgame.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PPF vs. au naturel