Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF vs. au naturel

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 10:16 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Like others said, I think the number one issue is how long you plan to keep the car. Without PPF, the front will accumulate both larger chips and some degree of sand blasting. Touching up will help, but the finish will degrade with time. I currently have my first car with PPF (and for less than a year) so I cannot give an informed answer. But I just like the idea that I can feel less paranoid.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:19 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
If you’re leasing go au natural.

If you’re buying I’d recommend PPF.
^^This
Old 12-11-2017, 12:22 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I skipped the PPF. It's not a museum piece, it's a car, so I'm trying to enjoy it without worrying about the paint condition. If some day it bothers me I could do a respray, but seems unlikely.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:09 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Ask yourself if you hate the idea of rock chips on your car. If you don't mind them(some don't), save your money or spend it on a trip to play the old course. If you hate the idea of even a single rock chip....or a sand blasted look, get PPF. After years of dealing with people asking me if they should get it or not, I have found that question quickly sorts folks into who it's a good fit for and who it's not. Everyone knows their answer to that question in short order too!
Old 12-11-2017, 01:28 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I resisted for a long time using wanting to detail my car myself as an excuse. The fact is that Porsche paint is soft and these cars are rock magnets due to their low front profile and the wide hips.
I have PPF’ed 3 Pcars now going from hood and front bumper only to full hood, front bumper, front fenders, high rocker panels and under the doors and under rear fenders. What’s the result. . Still have plenty of car left to detail and that which is covered with PPF still looks great. I detail the PPF including polish and sealer. I keep my cars longer and just want them to look good.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:40 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

The stock fender pieces take a real beating but seem to get the area on the fender most affected by spitting debris quite good.

I had an auto body guy tell me that cars with PPF if sitting under the sun for long periods can see more paint fade, as the PPF acts as a sort of “magnifying glass” for the UV rays (to the paint). Not really an issue to me as I don’t have my car under the sun for long periods, but any truth to that?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:13 AM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '17 and passed on spending the 2 to 3k on the film. So far the only chip I have noticed is above the windshield. I never liked the way the film looked on the hood where it terminates. Should you wrap the entire car? What about the wheel and tire insurance? What about the maintenance plan? I was already writing a check for 98k that day and I did not want to do that. I believe in avoiding all the extras and get the "bones" of a 911 and to be happy with that.

I do want to get the GT3 Touring Edition but I really don't want to spend the money.

Too bad Porsche does not allow options like Chevy trucks. If they did I would buy the base version and have them put the 4,0 liter motor in it.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default PPF

Due to environmental regulation paint is now water based which means it is 3 or 4 mil thick (vs enamel which could be 6 to 10 mils thick). If you do not use PPF you will new to repaint and take the hit on resale. Even for a lease, why not keep it nice for the next person ? PPF is so good now it is not visible except for edges.

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I see a lot threads on here about paint protection film regarding what, where, how much, recommendations, etc., but haven't really seen anyone say "screw the PPF, I'll keep the car washed & polished, and unleash Dr. ColorChip as necessary". So I'm just curious if anybody eschews PPF for au naturel, or is it kind of an unwritten rule that PPF is required on a 911?

My curiosity is somewhat based on the fact I have a GTS on order, have no no one close I would consider a PPF pro, and would like to see experiences with or without.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I have an incoming T and am debating getting PPF or skipping it as well. I will most likely be going with White or GT Silver as the color.

Any thoughts on the PPF discoloring and turning yellow as I've heard this can happen? If I go with White, this will be a big concern. Also, what is the average cost of a PPF to cover the front bumper, hood and fenders?

Does the PPF ruin the paint if you keep it on for many years (as in 5+ years)? I'm kind of imagining an old sticker that gets harder and harder to remove with time and leaves adhesive gunk all over the surface it was attached to.

Is this like getting breast implants? Sure, they look great at first but will require "maintenance" in 10 years.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:32 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
I have an incoming T and am debating getting PPF or skipping it as well. I will most likely be going with White or GT Silver as the color.

Any thoughts on the PPF discoloring and turning yellow as I've heard this can happen? If I go with White, this will be a big concern. Also, what is the average cost of a PPF to cover the front bumper, hood and fenders?

Does the PPF ruin the paint if you keep it on for many years (as in 5+ years)? I'm kind of imagining an old sticker that gets harder and harder to remove with time and leaves adhesive gunk all over the surface it was attached to.

Is this like getting breast implants? Sure, they look great at first but will require "maintenance" in 10 years.
They shouldn’t be an issue for paint regardless of how long they’re on. If someone knows better, please chime in, but I’d imagine while maybe they have a shelf life in terms of when they’d discolor (almost entirely dependent on how much sun it gets), I wouldn’t think any amount of time on the paint should result in danger to said paint when you’d rip it off(?).
Old 12-11-2017, 11:09 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by DNorby
I have a '17 and passed on spending the 2 to 3k on the film. So far the only chip I have noticed is above the windshield. I never liked the way the film looked on the hood where it terminates. Should you wrap the entire car? What about the wheel and tire insurance? What about the maintenance plan? I was already writing a check for 98k that day and I did not want to do that. I believe in avoiding all the extras and get the "bones" of a 911 and to be happy with that.

I do want to get the GT3 Touring Edition but I really don't want to spend the money.

Too bad Porsche does not allow options like Chevy trucks. If they did I would buy the base version and have them put the 4,0 liter motor in it.
I hear you but you cant see any edges as it wraps around all edges now.
I did bumper and hood after about 15000 kms..........should have done it sooner and should have done fenders. Might get it all redone in spring. I too LOVE to spend hours washing and waxing and feel weird waxing plastic but would rather do that than have car sandblasted. I fought this for years...still don't believe in Ceramic coatings though!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

I do not have PPF on my 991. It has a few chips. I don't worry about it.

I had PPF on my 997. It looked great for a couple of years, but PPF isn't perfect. There will still be chips in some places, and the PPF itself can become damaged. I took a hit from a large stone on the hood of my 997, and it damaged the PPF. The damaged spot in the PPF looked as bad or worse than a chip. Additionally, PPF isn't a lifetime solution. It wears, it gets damaged, and it eventually needs to be replaced.

I'm happy repairing minor chips, and when the time comes, I'll get a respray.

I find that avoiding the interstate highways is helpful if possible, and try not to tailgate or drive too close to the car ahead of you to avoid chips.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:00 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C

I find that avoiding the interstate highways is helpful if possible, and try not to tailgate or drive too close to the car ahead of you to avoid chips.
This! tailgating is why the windshield on my daily driver looks like it's been completely sandblasted after only two years.

I try to leave a lot of distance in the Porsche, partly for this reason, and partly to avoid any road rage scenarios that might come about from following a bit too close.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:51 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. I had it on my previous Panamera and have it on my current 991.2, but it's not a perfect fix, even with a high quality install. The front end of these cars are rock magnets, and I'd rather benefit from the somewhat helpful protection it gives. When I look at my wife's A6 and the abuse that front bumper and hood have taken without the PPF, I'm glad I have it on the 911.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:37 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I have Xpel and love it. The protection is the best but I'd go Suntek if I were to do again.... slightly less protection but the film has less orange peel and looks better once installed. Either way - the installer is key and better to go natural than have anything less than excellent installation. Even though I have Xpel - I get compliments on mine all the time and have the best looking job of PPF of any other cars I've seen at regional PCA events; once again proving the install is key.

Quick Reply: PPF vs. au naturel