Sponsored by:

BACKUP CAMERA

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:32 AM
GTOWN83
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BACKUP CAMERA

My backup camera quit working 2 days ago. When I put my car into reverse now, all I get is the overhead picture of the car with the 4 corners outlined for the proximity sensors. I've been through the different menus to try and restore the camera with no luck. Any suggestions?
Old 12-05-2017, 04:28 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOWN83
My backup camera quit working 2 days ago. When I put my car into reverse now, all I get is the overhead picture of the car with the 4 corners outlined for the proximity sensors. I've been through the different menus to try and restore the camera with no luck. Any suggestions?
Assume you are referring to the factory-installed reversing camera and not an aftermarket install? Odd, for sure that the factory camera would quit without some other indication of a problem, such as battery power loss or something.... Perhaps you will say that you are too far from the dealer, but this is a warranty item that they should fix for you without issue. Could be that they just need to re-enable the option code for the backup camera. Hopefully all it takes.

Let us know what you find out from the dealer or otherwise. Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2017, 04:54 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

There's a chance you may have de-activated the camera in the settings menu. Here's an excerpt from the aftermarket camera programming module that should apply to the factory settings as well. See if this is your issue:

Old 12-05-2017, 07:32 PM
GTOWN83
Racer

Thank you, I appreciate the input. Nothing aftermarket in/on my car. The battery has never been disconnected or discharged. I'll need to take it to the dealer if 12v Nick's ideas don't work.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:54 PM
GTOWN83
Racer

Update. I brought the car in on Wednesday the 27th, they gave me a base Cayenne (with lots of bells, buttons, and whistles) and told me they would get back to me. I enabled the Porsche Text function, and have received texts that state, "We are waiting for parts." I could call and find out what's going on, but I am thoroughly enjoying a different Porsche. More to follow.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:47 PM
FifthGear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the backup camera fail on me after an oil change, but I got it back when I tried again the next day. Not sure what was going on, but wasn't pleased.

Curious to find out what happened with yours.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:21 AM
GTOWN83
Racer

UPDATE. Mice ate my wires. I got my Pcar back 10 days after I dropped it off. $1,600 for parts and labor. The Service Tech and Manager recommended I put out some mice traps in my Garage. The good news is; The Service Tech (Barry-very nice guy) said he didn't see any other wire damage. The other good news is my car insurance paid for the damage less the $500 deductible.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:56 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a rat die in the engine compartment of my old car. (Pretty disturbing when the car suddenly smelled like BBQ. Yay city living!) I've been using Rataway spray since and haven't had a problem. The best you can really do with rodents is encourage them to go elsewhere, which is tough since your car is a warm dry place to make a nest. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:35 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Sorry to hear your car got attacked by rodents. Put some big glue traps out. I know people say they are inhumane, but honestly they seem to always do the trick. Also figure out where they are getting in, in the first place. They only need a hole the size of dime in many cases. I had a squirrel that thought trying to make a home next to the heat shield that was guarding the turbo on my B5 Audi S4 was a good idea. I cooked the little sob without even knowing it. When they were doing a turbo job they found what was left of him in the engine bay. The rodent did not cause the failure but it was amusing find, none the less.

I also had a friend who lived out on a farm and had ground hog eat a wiring harness to his vw passat. 5 grand and 4 mos later the car was back on the road. Turned out VW had to remake the harness specific to vin because it was considering a non-replaceable part, IE if this harness went, the car was likely in a wreck or it burned down. I pulled up a week or two after he got the car back and saw a ground hog squirt out from under the passat. Needless to say, we managed to isolate the vermin and he got a belly full of another metal that was not copper.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOWN83
UPDATE. Mice ate my wires. I got my Pcar back 10 days after I dropped it off. $1,600 for parts and labor. The Service Tech and Manager recommended I put out some mice traps in my Garage. The good news is; The Service Tech (Barry-very nice guy) said he didn't see any other wire damage. The other good news is my car insurance paid for the damage less the $500 deductible.

WOW so sorry to hear. Had the basterds eat through my wiring harness last year. I posted about it here. I’m using glue traps, dryer sheets, snap traps, mouse away as well as checking every couple of days in my garage for the little *******. Good luck. I also no longer cover my car while it is hibernating for the winter in my garage and I leave lights on. If I didn’t hate cats (sorry cat lovers I’m a Roti dog guy) I would get a cat also. Do not want to go through that ordeal again. They are resourceful little SOB’S so hunt them with vigilance. Good luck.

Quick Reply: BACKUP CAMERA