Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 vs 992

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 02:51 PM
porsche4gts
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys for your input. I like the new tech - i am sure people in the 50s complained about fuel injection and independent suspension, but these are all good things.

I do not want to wait too long - some sites say that the 992 may be available as soon as 2018 as a 2019 model and some say it will be available in 2019 as a 2020 model. given that I want the gts, I might have to wait an extra year as these usually come out a year later. But I am just assuming things, so I wanted to see if people might know more than I do - it will be very helpful
Old 12-05-2017, 02:55 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche4gts
Thank you guys for your input. I like the new tech - i am sure people in the 50s complained about fuel injection and independent suspension, but these are all good things.

I do not want to wait too long - some sites say that the 992 may be available as soon as 2018 as a 2019 model and some say it will be available in 2019 as a 2020 model. given that I want the gts, I might have to wait an extra year as these usually come out a year later. But I am just assuming things, so I wanted to see if people might know more than I do - it will be very helpful
If you want a 992 GTS you might be waiting until as late as 2020 or 2021. Wasn't the first 991 GTS a 2015?
Old 12-05-2017, 03:08 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
why not wait for 999 then?
he should get the 999.99 version
Old 12-05-2017, 03:27 PM
porsche4gts
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
If you want a 992 GTS you might be waiting until as late as 2020 or 2021. Wasn't the first 991 GTS a 2015?
yep, it came out in November 2014 as a 2015 - so I am afraid the timelines you are specifying are probably in line for the new release.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin-Guy
Some of you guys crack me up... I for one want the new technology, I want the all digital, faster car via turbo and/or electric help, etc. It is the way of the future.
I was pondering this thread and other threads where there's a certain culture here of automatic rejection of anything new. Not everyone of course, but a pretty vocal segment.

I think it's age. These are expensive cars, and except for the investment bankers or whatever who are pulling in tremendous incomes at an early age, it generally takes many years to get to the point where you can afford one. The older people get, the more they tend to reflexively reject change. It varies of course, some people remain mentally flexible forever, and some ossify mentally at 40, but I think that's the root cause. I'd like to think I'm keeping mentally flexible myself, but I've already reached the point where I can't stand most of today's music... :P

For myself, I prefer the MFD to the analog gauges, when I've got a choice. The display is always more readable, particularly since digital displays aren't limited to the physical characteristics of an analog meter. I like, for example, that I get the exact voltage from the 12v system, rather than "something between 12 and 14" that you got from cars of the 90's, if they had a battery gauge at all. I never look at the analog speedometer, since the numbers are tightly packed and it's difficult to see 10 MPH increments at a glance, let alone 1 MPH.

So yeah, in principle I welcome an all-digital dash. If I have any reservations, it's that I'm not overly impressed with Porsche's user interface design in the existing electronics. Navigation is notably clunky compared to a Garmin, for example. I expect if we get an all-digital dash, it won't be nearly as good as it could be.

Heh, that makes me think that maybe someday, we'll be rooting car electronics easily the way we can phones. Some aftermarket designers have to be better than what we've got.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:18 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

While I appreciate what Tesla has done (I have a Model X in the garage) and the design language of the new Panamera/Cayenne, it was for that reason that I went all in on a 991.2 GT3, as I wanted the NA motor and "analog" style interior with the gauges and buttons. One of my SAs joked that when he sells a new Panamera, he includes a glasses cleaning cloth with the purchase as its necessary for the customer since the fingerprints get bad on the glossy touch interior. The last gen Cayenne/Panamera and the 991 platform are my favorite interiors to date unless the 992 is a curve ball

I am actually a younger guy and I enjoy the latest tech like everyone else, but I don't want *everything* to be digital, or have to be plugged in and charged, etc.... In a way it's nice to check the time on my wrist with an automatic watch or drive in my 911 and listen to the engine and drive without too many electronic nannies (the Tesla basically has a force field around it lol)

IMO the 991.1 and 991.2 are the sweet spot where they have nice new tech that helps, but still retain that somewhat "analog" feel while being extremely comfortable to DD... I think the 992 will bring more digital/tech than what I would want in a 911, but who knows, maybe I'll be queued up drinking the koolaid like everyone else in a couple years time

and to the OP - life is short, just get what you want now and don't worry about what is coming as there is always something newer coming along...I think the 991.2 GTS is an awesome looking car and a great package
Old 12-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
992 will have a digital cluster gauge. For that alone, I'd rather get a 991.2.
The tachometer will still be analogue. And the digital displays on either side will help with displaying various information.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:37 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I think its a dangerous assumption to believe that resistance to change is an age related issue of older drivers rejecting new tech.
Im 63 have owned 13 Pcars over many platforms, dont get caught up in the .1 vs .2 playground battle, and have embraced the new cars with vigor. But i do know what i like and i won't drive a car without soul.
As long as Porsche keeps making cars that make me smile and sweat in the palms i will be a customer. Gauge clusters wont be the tilting point.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
The tachometer will still be analogue. And the digital displays on either side will help with displaying various information.

I don't much care for those flashy vidogamey screens , and I won't need directions to Peterborough probably ever, so I would still take the analog cluster over that new one.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:12 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I think its a dangerous assumption to believe that resistance to change is an age related issue of older drivers rejecting new tech.
But i do know what i like and i won't drive a car without soul.
As long as Porsche keeps making cars that make me smile and sweat in the palms i will be a customer. Gauge clusters wont be the tilting point.
Pretty much agree with this POV. Basically its simple, as soon as you sit in a Porsche sports car be it a base Cayman through to a GT2 RS you immediately know and feel you are in a Porsche sports car. Its a combination of seating position, forward visibility and layout - that "just works".

Likewise when you drive them, they have a certain clarity of purpose which translates in to an all round package e.g. in combination they nearly always have good braking, good handling and good all round performance.

Its a long term design strategy that has delivered a long term performance outcome, an automotive soul if you like - once this goes, game over.

I have no doubt the 992 will be a great sports car, but there is no need to wait - if you like the GTS specification in 991 form - take it off the lot. Lifes to short
Old 12-05-2017, 09:28 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I don't much care for those flashy vidogamey screens , and I won't need directions to Peterborough probably ever, so I would still take the analog cluster over that new one.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I dunno. My first impression was that it looks tacky, but that map display is pretty damned awesome.

Not sure I see the point in sticking with the analog tach. This is the kind of thing where you go all the way or don't go at all. Zombie Steve Jobs would $#!+ a brick if he saw that.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Unframed
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 83 Posts

How likely is it that the 992 will appear at Rennsport Reunion? It was pretty exciting to see the 991 in person and on the track for the first time at RSR 2011.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

The digital tach is awful. It’s cheaper to manufacture and program, it has nothing to do with what enthusiasts prefer.
Next you’ll tell me that a cheep plastic Apple watch is better than my Rolex. Serving multiple purposes while being shiny doesn’t make it better than a classy analog watch.
For everything else there’s PS4 or XBOX.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:13 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
The digital tach is awful. It €™s cheaper to manufacture and program, it has nothing to do with what enthusiasts prefer.
Serving multiple purposes while being shiny doesn €™t make it better than a classy analog watch.
+1
It would be like putting in a nice shiny shifter that does all the shifting for you...

Quick Reply: 991 vs 992