991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I stay or should I go now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017 | 11:30 PM
BradB
Drifting

I'm keeping my 2014 that I bought new. At 21k miles now. No warranty and I'm not worried. It's been bulletproof.
Old 12-03-2017 | 11:38 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Absolutely keep it. I have 80k on my 2012.5S. It’s bulletproof. If you do have some rare major issues, they’ll be no more expensive than the money you’d lose trading in to something else.
Old 12-03-2017 | 11:42 PM
Peruna
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Absolutely keep it. I have 80k on my 2012.5S. It’s bulletproof. If you do have some rare major issues, they’ll be no more expensive than the money you’d lose trading in to something else.
80k?! That's amazing. You're doing a service to the world. I'm going to get out and drive now...
Old 12-03-2017 | 11:44 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by ispool
80k?! That's amazing. You're doing a service to the world. I'm going to get out and drive now...
Excellent!
Old 12-04-2017 | 12:20 AM
Intermediate

These are the kinds of posts I like to see. I'm currently in the market and looking at cars in the 25-40k mile range. Gives me confidence to buy and know they won't require much more than normal maintenance.
Old 12-04-2017 | 12:30 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Hats off to you!
Old 12-04-2017 | 01:13 AM
Caoticvet
Intermediate

Mine had to have a valve replaced that allows me to get heated air and not cold air which was painful during the winter when it broke. Minor part but apparently this is a common problem with the 2012.5. Don’t know what it would cost to replace it out of warranty.

What has paid off the most for me is the wheel and tire insurance. 5 years. Have had 4 tires and a sport techno wheel replaced in just 2 years. Those 305s in the back catch every bolt and screw on the road.
Old 12-04-2017 | 07:32 AM
K-A
Drifting

Keep it! Sounds like a gem and getting "the one" is priceless.

The value retention you've seen is a testament to the car and a precursor to how the market will always perceive it. It'll hold its value better than anything else you can get into for near an equal price, nevermind anything you'd have to pay more for. Even without warranty, the cost of trading up and the increased depreciation on a new/more expensive car will put you far behind of where you are now.

If you need a reference, lots of guys here have gotten great quotes from Fidelity (THE aftermarket warranty to get, if you want to get one). As long as miles are under 23K miles or so, prices for 7 full years of coverage are quite reasonable (a testament to the reliability of these cars). 7 years! Far longer than a new 911, on a car that will cost you much less in terms of saving your money today (via not swapping) and depreciating at a much lower rate.
Old 12-04-2017 | 10:14 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by K-A
Keep it! Sounds like a gem and getting "the one" is priceless.

The value retention you've seen is a testament to the car and a precursor to how the market will always perceive it. It'll hold its value better than anything else you can get into for near an equal price, nevermind anything you'd have to pay more for. Even without warranty, the cost of trading up and the increased depreciation on a new/more expensive car will put you far behind of where you are now.

If you need a reference, lots of guys here have gotten great quotes from Fidelity (THE aftermarket warranty to get, if you want to get one). As long as miles are under 23K miles or so, prices for 7 full years of coverage are quite reasonable (a testament to the reliability of these cars). 7 years! Far longer than a new 911, on a car that will cost you much less in terms of saving your money today (via not swapping) and depreciating at a much lower rate.
It’s a sound advice (pun intended).
OP - adding my own thoughts which echo many of the sentiments in this thread.
1. It is cheaper to keep her due to decreased depreciation curve, less taxes, savings from not springing for a new model, low maintenance, uniqueness and character (there are less and less NA market offering nowadays...).
Old 12-04-2017 | 11:17 AM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Keep it. Bought my 2013 C2S with a CPO warranty in January 2016 with 10k miles, currently have 24k on the odo with no plans to sell. I love how my car is optioned so what would I really gain from getting a new one?

As others have mentioned - from a financial standpoint - it makes no sense to get a new one. The only reason to get a new car (or another CPO car) is if your car lacked options that you really wanted and you didn't mind paying a hefty premium for them.
Old 12-05-2017 | 09:23 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Longest Ownership

What is the longest you have ever owned a car ? Do you finances allow you to have a new sports car every few years ? Are you someone who becomes upset when things break ? Are you looking for long term appreciation ?

I would say if you are looking for long term appreciation in 15 to 20 years this vehicle may be worth the same thing it is today as the last N/A which is a good play. If you are not in it for that time span (and are in a financial position to do so) keep rolling with newer, less maintenance headaches, faster, etc.
Old 12-05-2017 | 11:37 PM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

2001 C4 MT Cab with 62000 miles next to my replacement 2018 991.2 C4S PDK Cab before they towed it out of the garage..... scored cylinder. No logical explanation ever found!

Never abused. Ain't bulletproof my friends. Sh.. Happens BUT lovin' the new ride
Old 12-06-2017 | 12:28 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by jingber
2001 C4 MT Cab with 62000 miles next to my replacement 2018 991.2 C4S PDK Cab before they towed it out of the garage..... scored cylinder. No logical explanation ever found!

Never abused. Ain't bulletproof my friends. Sh.. Happens BUT lovin' the new ride
996 is a MUCH different animal than the 991 in reliability (amongst too many other things).
Old 12-06-2017 | 01:05 AM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A
996 is a MUCH different animal than the 991 in reliability (amongst too many other things).
I'll drink to that!
Actually I only had a few issues over that 16 year run until the engine crapped out. I totally enjoyed the 996. Spent a few bucks trying to figure out the smoking issues like changing the AOS which didn't solve the problem Scored cylinder was thought to be the diagnosis so I just ordered a new 991.2... a totally different animal..Back in debt again but def worth it.
Old 12-06-2017 | 10:41 PM
Peruna
Racer

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
What is the longest you have ever owned a car ? Do you finances allow you to have a new sports car every few years ? Are you someone who becomes upset when things break ? Are you looking for long term appreciation ?

I would say if you are looking for long term appreciation in 15 to 20 years this vehicle may be worth the same thing it is today as the last N/A which is a good play. If you are not in it for that time span (and are in a financial position to do so) keep rolling with newer, less maintenance headaches, faster, etc.
All good questions. I've owned 17 cars in 12 years. The longest I've owned a car was my tuned BMW 335i (3 blissful years; I rolled another 335i before that and should not have walked away).

My first foray into nicer sports cars was a '12 C63 coupe with the performance package. I only owned it for a year and was happy to trade it - not really a true driver's car. I traded that for the Porsche almost 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I'm single and live frugally, so I could keep trading up the ladder in theory (i.e. R8, 991 Turbo, maybe a ferrari or GT3 eventually). I'd rather invest the steep difference in price, maintenance, etc. elsewhere.

I don't care much about long-term appreciation. Things break and accidents happen, I'm not looking at this as an investment.

I appreciate everyone's comments - I got the sanity check I was looking for. I'm definitely keeping the car, it really does fit like a glove and has every option I could want, and I'm going to get out and drive it a lot more. Life is too short. I'll probably take some of the money I would've lost on the upgrade, taxes, etc. and get a CPO Macan for daily duties. I had a Macan Base loaner recently and it's more than enough for a daily driver. The handling is unreal and the PCM is intuitive and blazing fast.

Quick Reply: Should I stay or should I go now?