Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I stay or should I go now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Peruna
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Should I stay or should I go now?

Hi all - long time lurker who doesn't post often. About two years ago, I got a CPO 2012 C2S. It's a 7MT, SPASM, PSE, Chrono, 14-way build with heated and cooled seats. Platinum silver metallic on black. I love the car and every second behind the wheel.

I bought it with 11k and now it's at 19k. The CPO goes out in April. I'm wondering whether I should keep the car and roll the dice on reliability (which has been solid) or sell/trade the car. I have no idea what else I'd get. Not interested in how fragile most supercars are. I appreciate how subtle this car is. Not ready for a GT3 yet - I need a lot more seat time.

Right now it seems to have held its value very well, but I think that will change come next year. What would you do?
Old 12-03-2017, 05:35 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

That’s barely any miles, unless you’re bored I’d keep it. There’s not a lot of issues on these cars to worry about out of warranty.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:37 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by ispool
I bought it with 11k and now it's at 19k.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:45 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I assume you have a 991.1 (2012.5) or you wouldn't be posting here. 19k is baby steps. Your car is bullet proof. Keep it if you are happy with it.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:47 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

If you're not the type that needs the latest and greatest, I'd keep it! It's going to be reliable and relatively affordable to maintain for years to come. Based on how much you drive, you could keep it another 10 years and it's still not going to have a ton of mileage.

Personally, I'd recommend driving it more!
Old 12-03-2017, 06:51 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally if the warranty was ending I would strongly consider trading in and changing it up a bit for another 911. Not to say the car is unreliable but at 4 years you have some maintenance coming up if you plan to keep it plus the potential for costly repairs. Factoring all this in with the potential tax advantage and a New Warranty your future costs would be relatively fixed, not to mention the peace of mind you get with a car under warranty.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:57 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
If you're not the type that needs the latest and greatest, I'd keep it! It's going to be reliable and relatively affordable to maintain for years to come. Based on how much you drive, you could keep it another 10 years and it's still not going to have a ton of mileage.

Personally, I'd recommend driving it more!
latest and greatest are not mutually exclusive

If reliability is your only question, keep it.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated

If reliability is your only question, keep it.

+ 1

As far as value .... the most economical thing you could do is keep it. The depreciation going forward is less than anything else you could get into if you were to trade, even being out of warranty.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:27 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

If you love the car and only have 19K miles, keep it. Barely been broken in.........
Old 12-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Peruna
Racer

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
Personally if the warranty was ending I would strongly consider trading in and changing it up a bit for another 911. Not to say the car is unreliable but at 4 years you have some maintenance coming up if you plan to keep it plus the potential for costly repairs. Factoring all this in with the potential tax advantage and a New Warranty your future costs would be relatively fixed, not to mention the peace of mind you get with a car under warranty.
Good point. I should note that this year, I got a brake fluid flush, engine air filters, cabin air filters and spark plugs. I put Pilot Super Sports all around @15k. So it's current on the maintenance..

Another thing that triggered this thought - I was passing by the dealership nearby, took it in unannounced and asked the sales department to give me an offer to buy. They offered me 7k less than I paid for it last March. I imagine that once the CPO warranty goes out, it'll be worth a bit less. But then again, I think a dealer can CPO a car up to 8 years after the in-service date, so I think in theory it will still be worth something for a dealership in a few years.

To answer another question, yes, it's a 2012.5 991. I haven't had any issues other than the upper door panel trip peeling off (replaced with new door panels) and questionnable seals on the roof/around the sunroof. I don't think I've read anywhere that 2012.5's in particular had issues, but curious to see if that's a thing.

Anyways, I was just looking for a sanity check. This car has felt like 'the one' since the first time I drove it. It's subtle and unassuming, yet more capable than anything I've driven.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
4 k a year? About average for a weekend toy.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by ispool
Hi all - long time lurker who doesn't post often. About two years ago, I got a CPO 2012 C2S. It's a 7MT, SPASM, PSE, Chrono, 14-way build with heated and cooled seats. Platinum silver metallic on black. I love the car and every second behind the wheel.

I bought it with 11k and now it's at 19k. The CPO goes out in April. I'm wondering whether I should keep the car and roll the dice on reliability (which has been solid) or sell/trade the car. I have no idea what else I'd get. Not interested in how fragile most supercars are. I appreciate how subtle this car is. Not ready for a GT3 yet - I need a lot more seat time.

Right now it seems to have held its value very well, but I think that will change come next year. What would you do?
Keep it unless you are itching for something else. This car has pretty good reliability for a German sports car!
Old 12-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Peruna
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
4 k a year? About average for a weekend toy.
Yup. I'm in TX as well and I'll take it to work once or twice a week and drive her around on weekends/a few road trips a year. With traffic and distracted idiots out there these days it's getting harder to enjoy driving a manual around town. My humble little prius does just fine for a lot less.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:13 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll give you the opposite view. Sell it and custom order a new car to your specs or buy an extended warranty. I would never own a modern 911 with no warranty, even with only 19K miles. These cars are very complicated and there are just too many things that can go wrong. And everything, even the little items, are expensive to repair. Yes, modern 911's are well built and reliable but certainly not bulletproof.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Jasonpdx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just recently I purchased a 2012 991.1S CPO with 27k miles, I love it, drives like new. All service was just done like it had 40k on it from Porsche, but my gut is this, if they are selling them with 27k and warranties, they must have faith
One of my friends owns a shop in Portland, OR and before my purchase looked to him for advice since they work on Porsche, a ton. He told me the 991 is one of the most stout platforms they have seen and rarely need more more than routine maintenance.
Planning to keep mine long term and after all, it is just a car and can be pulled apart like any other car. Yes it has more expensive parts, but you're paying a premium to have one of the most well built german cars on the road. Enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Should I stay or should I go now?