Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little dents that mainly only you can notice.. do you repair or tolerate them?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Risley
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just looked at a brand new Carrera T on the dealer lot and found two small dings however the location of them leads me to believe they are sheet metal manufacturing flaws or maybe mishandled in the factory. One is about two inches above the passenger door handle on the top curve of the door and I don't believe another door did this because it would have absolutely had to hit the door handle in doing so, there isn't a mark on the door handle.

The other small ding is in the little inward curve of the drivers rocker panel, physically impossible for a door to hit this area.

I really think these are body flaws missed during the build and I wonder if a PDR guy can lessen or remove them or if I should even consider the car at all.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:06 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,480 Likes on 951 Posts

With about 500 miles on my 911 Turbo and maybe 6 weeks after delivery of my new car, I noticed a very slight dimple on the rear driver's side fender. I basically lost my s&&# on this. I had it into PDR 2 days later. Then I iterated with another guy a few days later to get the thing completely removed and undetectable. Total cost was $225. Totally worth it.

But my mind was trying to figure out how the Hell this happened. Did it happen at the factory? On the boat? At the port?? On the truck from the port to the dealer? At the dealer? In the enclosed truck on the way to me? Who knows!

The little dimple is gone, and thank God we can get it out with fairly easy methods by pros. The next Porsche I get, if I ever get rid of my TT, will be one ordered locally and inspected thoroughly by yours truly!

In any case, I love the car BTW. But it is good to hear that I'm not alone!!!
Old 09-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

What about small chips in the paint? I caught my rear wing with tyre pressure nozzle. Left two very small dots smaller than pinhead but you can just see metal. Can these be polished out professionally with out more paint? I've tried just with cloth and wax to no avail. Can't really see them unless you look but I know they're there and touching up in my experience makes worse!
Old 09-24-2018, 10:06 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

dab it with paint, level it out, then polish and wax it
Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, done something similar once before, not very successful. Polishing out residue from lacquer coat dulled the lacquer and removed the paint from chip infills, leaving original problem more noticeable but thanks for suggesting. Reckon next time something more serious requires professional remedy, I'll get them to look at this and do as you suggest with a bit more skill than me!!!
Old 09-24-2018, 12:09 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Minor dents drive me crazy, BUT my CPO has a very small dent on the front fender crease. A PDR guy, and the Porsche dlr, said couldn't be fixed that way. So I'm living with it as I don't want actual sheet metal repair and painting. That's no fun either.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:01 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter80
Yeah, done something similar once before, not very successful. Polishing out residue from lacquer coat dulled the lacquer and removed the paint from chip infills, leaving original problem more noticeable but thanks for suggesting. Reckon next time something more serious requires professional remedy, I'll get them to look at this and do as you suggest with a bit more skill than me!!!
Try Dr Colorchip. There are plenty YouTube vids on how to use. Personally, I have never used it but others here on RL rave about it. Just smear it on, supposedly.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:16 AM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

For sure look at Dr. color chip....I’ve used several times on different cars and works great on small chips!
Old 09-25-2018, 12:50 PM
slocumda@yahoo.com
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

If the PDR method might pull paint off of repainted areas what will it do in the areas where you have PPF?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:28 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Intersting, can you be more specific on what area it is (or circle it on a 991 picture)? Just curious if it’s the same area as mine.

Did he say the glue method wouldn’t even work?
I took it to 2 different Porsche dlrs who use good PDR guys. Both said it was impossible because it is right on the crease of the fender. Where the curved part joins the horizontal part right above the wheel well. They did not mention the glue method. I'll look into that.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:56 PM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try not to look closely at my cars, I just drive them.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:33 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter80
What about small chips in the paint? I caught my rear wing with tyre pressure nozzle. Left two very small dots smaller than pinhead but you can just see metal. Can these be polished out professionally with out more paint? I've tried just with cloth and wax to no avail. Can't really see them unless you look but I know they're there and touching up in my experience makes worse!
Try using the tip of a toothpick. Honestly I’ve gotten a lot of extremely tiny “dots” with those, successfully, you just need a steady enough hand.

To those who don’t use Dr. Colorchip (which you can get messy with), how do you: 1: “Level out” too much paint applied (without smearing), and 2: If you get too much paint around the chip, on actual paint, how do you get it off (most touchup dries very quickly and hard). I’ve used touchup a billion times on cars but always good to know how to save mistakes if they happen.

As for the post, I had a PDR guy do it, perfectly. So far I’ve used 2 extremely good PDR guys and it’s a cinch for them. One also gave me valuable tips on maintaining my wheels. Those of you paying $200+ at the dealer so you effectively pay 2 people for the job it takes one to do, are getting ripped off. Search Yelp for the best PDR people around you, it’ll be cheaper and you know you’ll get the best.

Quick Reply: Little dents that mainly only you can notice.. do you repair or tolerate them?