Sponsored by:

Being brutally honest in customer satisfaction survey

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:30 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Being brutally honest in customer satisfaction survey

I got a customer satisfaction survey from Porsche and I was brutally honest when filling out. Now that I'm at the end it's asking if I want to share my answers with the dealership and Porsche or make it anonymous. If wrote a lot of negative comments about the service experience and their inability to fix the problems as well as comments made by the service adviser I didn't much care for. I also put down a lot of the negatives about the car in general.

If I share it with the dealer and Porsche I'm afraid the dealer will retaliate by giving me worse service going forward and when the warranty is over will rip me off. If I keep it anonymous anyone ever see it?
Old 11-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the solution to your dilemma is to share your answers with the dealer and find a different place to get your car serviced. Which you should already be doing if you were unhappy with the service.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gus_Smedstad:
AvgPorschefile (06-11-2021), ducktails (12-31-2020), jimmiejam (06-09-2021)
Old 11-27-2017, 04:51 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Haha but didn’t they tell you they wanted you to put the highest rating in every category when you filled it out?
Old 11-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

I once put some opinions on the brand in general and PCNA contacted me about my survey, asked more questions etc... So they read these things and seemed genuinely interested...
The dealer portion is tricky. I think their service department is ace, their sales department is total crap. Their receptionist is awful. I hate that they ask you to put 10 everywhere, but the scale is stupid and Porsche dings them for anything less...

I've seen (at BMW dealerships) where the survey scores absolutely affected outcomes, they could see what you rated them... Not sure Porsche does this, but either way their system is flawed...
I wish I could give them an objective review but i don;t and give them 10s - IMO it's not worth the risk to lose the potential $5000 of goodwill repairs I got this last year alone just for the satisfaction of mouthing off, even if accurate.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:21 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot depends on your service options. If they are are sufficient, share them with the dealer and move on. After you do, it is not impossible that your current service provider will seek to win you back with an actual improvement in their service and/or discounts. On the other hand, if you have few acceptable options, I'd keep my opinions anonymous and hope that Porsche presses your dealer to do better. In this case, you can always revisit your decision when you fill out the service survey after your next service visit.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:28 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

agree with above. You shouldn't feel like you can't be honest about poor service because a business will retaliate, but if they are truly the only option in the area, it may be better to make nice. I've been banned from at least one dealership for giving them some poor feedback...but hey, truth hurts.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:36 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Careful - they claim they want honest answers, but in my humble opinion anything less than perfect the dealer gets in trouble and then they will contact you directly to try to discuss things. Once I made the mistake of being honest and it got ugly, and a month later that service rep was no longer working there!

In my experience I get the best results by filing out a bull**** perfect score, then having a personal discussion with the service MANAGER (not the advisor) in person so there is no paper trial. They appreciate that and it gets things resolved.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:41 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

The service advisors get a portion of their comp held back on a quarterly basis. They get it if they get good scores on these.

I would talk to your SA - tell him you filled out a brutally honest evaluation and you were going to send it in until you realized his pay would be effected and you wanted to give him the chance to do better next time. I think that direct route has the best chance for change. If it’s still bad, then fill one out and send in.
The following users liked this post:
cpbmd (01-01-2021)
Old 11-27-2017, 05:54 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

The way these "customer satisfaction surveys" are constructed and used (folks like J.D. Power & Associates included) makes any useable conclusions from the data impossible. I know they mean A LOT to certain dealers, especially Porsche dealers striving to be designated "Premier" by PCNA.
If I have a poor experience in service (or sales), I go to the dealer's management (Service Manager, Dealer General Manager) and address it directly, calmly and try to clearly state what my expectations were and how they were not met.
I don't fill out any customer surveys anymore. If you lie and give therm all tens, nothing will change. If you answer honestly, someone could lose their job or some of their pay, which hardly seems fair. Penalizing someone who got an eight instead of a ten on some facet of a survey is just nuts.
This is "the customer is always right" run amok. Anyone who has ever owned/run a business knows the customer is NEVER always right, not if you want to keep good employees.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:55 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Careful - they claim they want honest answers, but in my humble opinion anything less than perfect the dealer gets in trouble and then they will contact you directly to try to discuss things. Once I made the mistake of being honest and it got ugly, and a month later that service rep was no longer working there!

In my experience I get the best results by filing out a bull**** perfect score, then having a personal discussion with the service MANAGER (not the advisor) in person so there is no paper trial. They appreciate that and it gets things resolved.
this... my dealer has a lot of room for improvement in service but people that give perfect scores get easy access to loaners... I had an issue once where my SA kept dropping the bad and wouldn’t simply call me back. I escalated to PCNA after 6 weeks of a runaround and management not calling back. Within 24 hours the problem was mostly resolved... the SA tried to stick me in an econobox from enterprise instead of a Porsche loaner as retaliation. Dude would not call me back to set an appointment to get my bumper fixed after they damaged it at the dealership during service. He was offended but started escalating after a month of chasing him down and him not doing anything that he promised.

Also, for me... there isn’t much value in the dealer post warranty. YMMV.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:27 PM
pdutta2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very timely thread. I actually have a paint bubble on my back bumper that was looked at during service 3 weeks ago. Was supposed to receive a call back the day after and heard nothing from anyone after 3 attempts. Finally filled in the survey with pointed words on the no call back today and got a call within 3 hours of my submitted survey. I put in 10s for everything except this one item. I normally play the game of 10s because I genuinely like this dealer but the no call back with no response to email just rubbed me wrong.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:49 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,203 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
Very timely thread. I actually have a paint bubble on my back bumper that was looked at during service 3 weeks ago. Was supposed to receive a call back the day after and heard nothing from anyone after 3 attempts. Finally filled in the survey with pointed words on the no call back today and got a call within 3 hours of my submitted survey. I put in 10s for everything except this one item. I normally play the game of 10s because I genuinely like this dealer but the no call back with no response to email just rubbed me wrong.
Call back within 3hrs of the survey is impressive, this is good to know.

Luckily I had a great experience with my dealer to date.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:56 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 247 Posts

Porsche dealers are no better than Chevy dealers or Volvo dealers. All the same. I bought two brand new Porsches from the same dealer and one experience was great and the other mediocre. The more expensive car was the more miserable experience. I knew which 911 I wanted so could order it without needing any SA input which was uselss (to me) anyway.
Just chalked it up to individuals and their differing personalities. But I did see the same guy spending more time with older couples trying to order Macans and Cayennes. With my 130k MSRP C4S, he couldn't be bothered to even spend 30 minutes on test drives or even actual delivery. And I am a middle-aged guy. People have thier own prejudices and I am not interested in them. I did my research and ordered the car I wanted.
Previous service advisor was excellent. Now there is a new guy who is robotic in person but responds in emails with details. As long as I can get what I want or expect for service, I usually ignore the human factor.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:11 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is the simple answer. Porsche takes these surveys very seriously, and can be very punitive to dealers. You should never turn one in without giving the dealer the courtesy of trying to make things right, and not blindsiding them. Yeah, that sounds pretty short term, and you don't know if they are just appeasing you, or actually making changes. Weigh all that stuff in relation to who gets punished the most by a bad survey, regardless of your intentions. The short answer here is the sales guy. If he's not the culprit, you should try and find an amenable solution with the dealer before torching them.. That doesn't mean there aren't dealers out there who deserve a good torching.

Then, of course, there is the selfish angle of selling your survey for a few pieces of silver. You'd be surprised what they are willing to give you for a good survey. This happened to me in February at a GMC dealership. The salesman was a young fellow that did a great job, and I didn't want to punish him for the horrible service department. I set up a meeting with the GM to tell him he was about to be torched. He acted appalled by the treatment I received, and shocked me on his make right offer. I had fully intended to torch them, but they gave me a way out w/o killing the salesman. Yeah, I sold my soul for a few pieces of silver.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I want my dealership and their staff to be successful.

I want my car to be serviced impeccably.

I'm NOT looking for fancy coffee, waiting area, or loaner. Though, it's nice. It's all about my car. It's not about me. I'll be just fine.

I set my expectations in the BEGINNING of the process. At the end, the survey is purely academic.

If I have conflict with people, I address that in person. Not through a report card.

Quick Reply: Being brutally honest in customer satisfaction survey