Sponsored by:

Sound Symposer operating parameters

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 06:42 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
disagree. I make it a point to never run in Sport / sport plus until the oil is up to temp. Now, I do have a habit of turning on the exhaust before starting.
There isn’t any objective reason or guidance from Porsche to do that, as long as you don’t rev beyond 4k before it’s up to temp.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
There isn’t any objective reason or guidance from Porsche to do that, as long as you don’t rev beyond 4k before it’s up to temp.
putting it in Sport engages will cool the oil down 10 degrees at temp. I'm not sure how....it's been a while. So I keep it in normal to heat it up more quickly. I also do not like the throttle response that sharp when cold.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:51 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
putting it in Sport engages will cool the oil down 10 degrees at temp. I'm not sure how....it's been a while. So I keep it in normal to heat it up more quickly. I also do not like the throttle response that sharp when cold.
It tops out at I think 134 in normal because that squeezes a little more efficiency out with hotter (less viscous) oil vs 194 in sport/sport+. Doesn’t mean it’s better for the engine. IMHO it’s engine speed not response that you have to worry about when cold.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:55 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Bumping this thread. My symposer still see,s to operate sporadically. Took it in again, dealer replaced the control valve and smoked checked the vac lines and said that operating as normal. Yet it has no rhyme or reason. No parameter of switch or sport mode or PSE button makes it ALWAYS come on.

Im at a loss. Are there times when you guys are in Sport with PSE active and the symposer is NOT on?
Old 01-20-2019, 04:49 PM
swamp2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump. Interested in knowing definitively how the SS operates and is affected by Sport/Sport Plus.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:02 PM
box
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by swamp2
Bump. Interested in knowing definitively how the SS operates and is affected by Sport/Sport Plus.
From everything I've read, it is only on when you want it on; i.e., sport exhaust button on or a sport mode selected.

The reason for this is that the luxury aspects of the car are such that when not on the track and conducting business the cabin needs to be quiet. The automakers made the cars so quiet that they lost one of the reasons you drive a track car in the first place, the sound. Go drive a Tesla, it's just creepy and I don't care if it can blow the socks off my 911 in ludicrous mode, it's just no fun to drive.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

How times have changed. For the first couple of years after the 991.1 was introduced, all the posts on here were how to block off the sound symposer. Now people want it?
Old 09-14-2019, 09:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by box
From everything I've read, it is only on when you want it on; i.e., sport exhaust button on or a sport mode selected.

The reason for this is that the luxury aspects of the car are such that when not on the track and conducting business the cabin needs to be quiet. The automakers made the cars so quiet that they lost one of the reasons you drive a track car in the first place, the sound. Go drive a Tesla, it's just creepy and I don't care if it can blow the socks off my 911 in ludicrous mode, it's just no fun to drive.
1. It definitely comes on it normal mode around 3,500 RPM.
2. Teslas are not creepy, and they definitely can be fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Sound Symposer operating parameters