991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love it or list it

Old 11-22-2017, 12:28 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, and being a masochist - the built to order route is the only way you get the exact car that you want. Sure there is a bit of a wait, but once you have the car every drive is special because the car is purpose built for you.

Often its the simple touches that make a difference e.g. for me, dials that match the body colour, alcantara sun visors and the light package (when driving in the dark).
Old 11-22-2017, 03:35 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, lots of good feedback... thanks all.

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Worrying about resale value ignores the fact that all your replacement options are going to cost you more than the $10K that concerns you. And by cost you more, I mean you're buying depreciation, particularly if you buy a newer car.
Right, unless I buy something like a GTS or GT3 that will depreciate less.

991.2 steering wheel.
Love it, I think for PDK cars these paddles are the way to go, not the 991.1 sport design ones, I am strongly considering it despite the cost of the overall change including the airbag and despite going against the "integrity" of the 991.1 model. In fact, I'd keep the MF wheel if the only upgrade available was the later.

You haven't really said what your impressions of the new cars were.
Don't want to open a can of worms here, I'll just say they are all great, I was underwhelmed by the .2 torque perhaps due to my excessive expectations, and I still don't see the improvements in the drivetrain / ride as major, probably would need track time to really discern, but it is still a great car, as the .1 is as well.

What attracts you about the 991.1 GTS?
Mostly 2 things, aesthetics (love the alcantara/leather interior, the sport design front, the rear lid) and the “GTS badge”, mostly for the idea that it might hold value going forward better than the S or 4S.

The "bought a new car" feeling and/or the GTS badge is really worth the money to me?
Precisely, I am in the process of deciding...

Happy turkey!
Old 11-22-2017, 03:38 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Now you have a 718 with a NA flat 6, 4.0 to consider!
Old 11-22-2017, 03:42 PM
911seeker
Pro

I don't do wings, man, my religion prevents me from that...
Old 11-22-2017, 04:04 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I love wings. Wings that had little practical purpose were the tailfins of the 90's, and I have trouble escaping that aesthetic.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:55 AM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

I am certainly not in a position to make an objective recommendation, but 911Seeker could perhaps find nirvana if he were to buy my '15 GTS. Coupe (RWD), PDK, Sapphire Blue Metallic, Full Natural leather interior (black/garnet red), Burmester, CL wheels, 12,997 miles, new Pirelli P-Zero N1 tires, new brake pads, 2 year/20k miles service done, many extra oil/filter oil changes (all with Mobil 1 5w-50). Several upgrades. A perfect NA GTS. It is listed for sale here, but I have not bumped the ad in some time. Not happy about selling, especially after I gave so much thought to ordering it exactly as I wanted. Right now I have the last version of the 356 (C coupe), the last air/oil-cooled 911 (993 C2 coupe), and the last non-GT NA 911 (991.1 GTS). Selling the 356 and the GTS, keeping the 993. Not happy about selling these, but stuff happens in life and I simply have to cut these cars loose. The GTS is going to a dealer on Saturday (11/25/17) on consignment, which I have finally been forced to do because of surprising lack of interest. I think my last asking price was $116,000.

I have to admit that ordering a new car from Porsche is a great experience, and I'd do it again if I could. But, the new '18 991.2 GTS seems to cost quite a bit more, similarly equipped, than the 991.1. Not that I'm in a position to do that right now anyway.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:56 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Personally, I would keep your ride and get something on the side to scratch another itch. I do get the concept of getting a 991.1 GTS as IMO short of a GT3, it’ll go down as one of the most revered 911’s, and it’ll by most accounts depreciate less than other Carreras. Of course, depreciation is only a factor of how much you paid, so it doesn’t mean you’ll come out ahead of what you have now.

In my opinion, having any .1 means you have a future classic, a last of a kind, and depreciation will be mitigated (they’ve gone up already). And your car appears very sweet, so I’ll go out on a limb and say that you’ll be ahead of any other cars depreciation curve within the $80-$100K range as you sit right now (speaking of cars as modern as the .1).

Of course, that doesn’t mean you should stop looking for a .1 GTS. You never know if you come across a ridiculously good deal that you can’t refuse to snap up. Issue with that is you’ll still have your car, so unless you have both while you try to sell your C4, being in a desperate place and trading into a dealer means you’ll get hosed.

If you REALLY want the .1 GTS (and I don’t blame you) then put an ad for your car out for a high asking price, and see if anyone bites. Then go out on a mission to find a great deal on the GTS. I’ve done that many times and it generally serves me well.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:37 AM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Love it. Don’t list it.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:57 AM
911seeker
Pro

Tx for the advice, I am taking a breather, vacationing with the family, the quest will resume next week...
Old 11-25-2017, 11:37 PM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

911seeker, i feel u man. I have similar thoughts as u. World class problem to have. I stress out about this...im lucky to say this is the only stress in my life...this give a me something to do at 11pm when I can't fall asleep.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:38 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Having recently gone from a 991.1 C2S to a 991.1 GTS my thought process was.....
I liked my S but didn't love it, toyed with the idea of a GT3, but decided it wouldn't work for me as a daily driver.
Drove a friends 991.2 Targa GTS, loved the torque, but every 991.2 I configured came in north of $150K (not a Targa).
Kept looking for a 991.1 GTS, my must have option was ventilated seats, which automatically rules out a lot of cars because of the GTS interior option.
Since the car would be a daily driver, more expensive, low mileage cars were not as important to me, I hope to keep this car for a long while.
For well over a year I looked into several, but for one reason or another did not pull the trigger, there was always something missing that I thought I needed.
Finally I went to look at a 21,000 mile GTS, but almost didn't go because it lacked a sunroof, the ask was $105.9K
Ended up buying the car for $102K, CPO through January of 2021

My takaways:
I'm ok with not having the sunroof, it's a much cleaner look (had the glass sunroof on the S) and it's quieter and cooler when parked outside.
I wouldn't have shelled out the extra dough for the Burmester stereo if I were buying new, but really like it.
You can add some options that you might select if it were new, next week I'm getting lighted carbon fiber door sills and an aerocup rear wing.

Not sure what I might have been able to get as far as a MSRP discount on a new 991.2, but on paper the delta was +/- $50K.
I have a warranty that's almost as long if I had bought new, and at least one option that I would not have added if I were configuring it new.

Good luck, will be interesting to see where you end up,
Old 01-12-2018, 03:55 PM
911seeker
Pro

I have finally opted to do the 4yrs/ 40k miles maintenance...

At this point, debating about doing the rear Pirellis today as well as the rear brakes...

After all this, I am not going to list it... I have to LOVE IT!
Old 01-12-2018, 05:19 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts

My experience has been, as soon as you start asking questioning yourself whether you should keep a car, then it is time to sell it and move on. Best way to avoid regret is to order a car with exactly the options you want.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:30 PM
911seeker
Pro

OR, try a macan as the loaner I got today, and drive a ****ty minivan for 2 weeks, as I did during the holidays in Spain, and when you get back in your 911 you will fill the love again...
Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts

Financial considerations aside, it is better to get the car you want which almost always means new. What I gleaned from the OP's original post was some level of dissatisfaction with their current 911 and hesitancy as to what they should do. Used cars are always a compromise. Once the novelty wears off then comes the inevitable regret mostly related to options. There are certain 911s I would not touch regardless of the discount. So, I made sure I had the cash to pay for the new car I wanted and picked the options I wanted. One good way I have discovered that satisfies me is to revisit the Porsche configurator and rebuild the car that I just bought by adding and deleting options. I always come back to the car that I ordered and own. It is a good place to be in. First world problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Love it or list it