Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Love it or list it (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1035915-love-it-or-list-it.html)

911seeker 11-21-2017 06:11 PM

Love it or list it

New edit just to close the loop... the car is finally coming to Spain with me... whish me luck with transportation and "homologation" procedures...

Reviving this old thread... I have finally "listed it" on the rennlist classifieds marketplace.

I am taking it to Spain with me in a few weeks if it doesn't sell at the price there. I understand it is not a "bargain" but I think it is fair for the car... and it is what it makes sense for me.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1150908

Anybody with serious interest, and preferably locals to Miami or thereabouts, can reach me via private messages for the next FEW days, as I will be confirming the transportation date to the moving company by the end of next week.

Best

________________________________________________________________________ _____________

First of all, this is more for me to organize my thoughts than to ask for help (although I will, of course, welcome ideas and comments), and it is LONG, so readers beware…

After 18 months of joyful ownership of my Black on Black 2014 C4S, and faced with the need of immediate service, future change of tires, probably brake pads and fluids, etc., together with the accumulated mileage (bought it with 15k miles, has 26k now, so it is approaching the "psychological barrier" of the 30k miles, at which point it will likely lose some additional resale value) and the need to repair a few chips and maybe do a paint correction, I have decided to do some “shopping around” to see if the "year end" (both model and calendar wise) would bring good opportunities to update/upgrade for a reasonable cost.

I have visited a few dealerships, test driven a few cars, including 991.1 GTS PDK , 991.2 S manual, 991.2 C4S PDK, and 991.2 GTS cab PDK. The common conclusion has been that they are all fine cars, as mine is. I could live with either of them easily, provided I find exactly the configuration and a color scheme I like, and provided they have a leather interior, which for me is an absolute must.

So, as in the HGTV show, it has to be either…
  1. Love it”: keep mine, in which case I would consider adding some “improvements” to make it “my own” (991.2 wheel, sport design front spoiler and mirrors, chips repairs and/or fender respray, ppf full front , paint correction, ceramic coating, wheel spacers, maybe the stereo upgrades Nick is talking about, why not the GTS style rear grid, etc.). Problem is, if I do all that, I am going to end up putting no less than 10k on the car, and most of that money will not add to the resale value.
  2. Or “list it”, to:
    • “upgrade” to the “best house in my consolidated neighborhood”, the 991.1 GTS (cost of this option would be around 30-35k “out of pocket”, minus what I save in maintenance and tweaks to my car). The problem is to find the right one that is “absolutely clean” and has leather package, apparently not easy, and meets my color criteria, even more complicated.
    • or “move to a bigger house in the new up and coming suburb”, the 991.2, in which case both S, 4S and GTS could be viable options. In this case the cost of the change would range from 35k to 70k, depending on the selected model (used 2017 S vs ordering a new 18 GTS exactly to my liking).
I have discarded to “move to the slightly newer house in my block” or trade the 14 C4S for a 15 or 16 S or 4S with fewer miles, because it will not make much sense for me (not much of a change) or for the seller (they would not get a cash amount big enough to be aggressive on the deal). However, IF I found exactly what I like at a reasonable price, I might reconsider.

Things I am still undecided about, if I finally were to decide to “list it”:
  • Color: I don’t want to go from black to black, white/yellow/orange are not an option, light grey(s) are not as nice as others IMHO… so it would have to be agate gray (nah), carmine red (love it), blue (sapphire or night), maybe chalk (still undecided on it) or the rare PTS. This limits my options dramatically, unless I order a new 991.2.
  • Cab (miss one) vs coupe (makes more sense from different perspectives, including financially) vs Targa (I know, but it is sooo nice). Pity I can’t have all. I think coupe wins, and then cab, but…
  • Manual vs PDK. Honestly, I thought I missed the manual, but after test driving one, I almost decided to stick with PDK. However, I think I would be open to both.
  • 991.1 vs 991.2. Regardless of the NA vs FI debates, my doubt is because the only .1 I would consider an upgrade is the GTS, and those are holding value “too well” for now and the options are limited, so for the same money you can have the .2, which is a new car. Heck, for a few tens of dollars more I could even order a 18 GTS exactly to my liking...
In terms of deals / pricing, I have been pleasantly surprised by the trade in valuation of my car, but less so by the lack of "hot for sale" cars around, despite the 2017 models are competing with the MY18, the proximity of the year end, etc. I hope December will soften the dealers a bit...

I have not decided yet what if and when I would change, or what would I buy. I am having a good time doing with my search though… I’ll give this some more time, more to come after the holidays. However, as of today, I think I am going to "love it"...

freeman 11-21-2017 06:35 PM

I am sorry but I do not recognize your plight. I bought a new 2013 991 C2 Black-on Black PDK. After 15 months I did not like it since my 4 former Porsches were all MT. I put it on Cars.com and after dealing with all the bogus folks, I sold it within 3 days to a guy who came to me and lokked at it with a check we took to the local branch of his bank. It was good and sold.
I then ordered my drean car, the 2015 991 GTS that is on my Avatar. Not a mistake! It is easier than I could have imagined. Please do not make this a problem for you. It is easy given you have a cooperative spouse.

911seeker 11-21-2017 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by freeman (Post 14620027)
I am sorry but I do not recognize your plight. I bought a new 2013 991 C2 Black-on Black PDK. After 15 months I did not like it since my 4 former Porsches were all MT. I put it on Cars.com and after dealing with all the bogus folks, I sold it within 3 days to a guy who came to me and lokked at it with a check we took to the local branch of his bank. It was good and sold.
I then ordered my drean car, the 2015 991 GTS that is on my Avatar. Not a mistake! It is easier than I could have imagined. Please do not make this a problem for you. It is easy given you have a cooperative spouse.

I don't have any problem, nor dislike my car... if that was the case, it would be gone by now... but I am not married to it either, only to my "cooperative wife", so all options are open, and I am having a good time considering them.

BlueNorther 11-21-2017 06:56 PM

Don't underestimate the experience of ordering your Porsche exactly the way you want it, and being the original owner. If you are going to spend all that money, and can afford it, you might as well do it right. I would therefore choose: "Heck, for a few tens of dollars more I could even order a 18 GTS exactly to my liking"

911seeker 11-21-2017 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by BlueNorther (Post 14620087)
Don't underestimate the experience of ordering your Porsche exactly the way you want it, and being the original owner. If you are going to spend all that money, and can afford it, you might as well do it right. I would therefore choose: "Heck, for a few tens of dollars more I could even order a 18 GTS exactly to my liking"

Debating myself, I don't know if the "experience" is worth the additional cost FOR ME. It is an option that hasn't been discarded, but will be considered against the others with all the pros and cons... and in the end, I have a 911, which is what this is about, and cant really justify "investing" an additional 70k in a new one, so realistically this is not the most likely choice I'll pick.

Code 11-21-2017 07:25 PM

Love it.

See U n RearView 11-21-2017 07:28 PM

I'm keeping mine. I found a car that was exactly the way I would have ordered it. I mean down to the Smoking package...lol

So, I would list it for 10% more than realistic, and keep all the phone numbers and pre-Qualifications of the people you have talked to.

Do your research on 911's that tick off all/most of the boxes. When the time comes, and you find your dream car, and
you will find it;

Call of the people back and tell them you have dropped the car $7000.00 and Bob's-your-Uncle...

911seeker 11-21-2017 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by See U n RearView (Post 14620158)
I'm keeping mine. I found a car that was exactly the way I would have ordered it. I mean down to the Smoking package...lol

So, I would list it for 10% more than realistic, and keep all the phone numbers and pre-Qualifications of the people you have talked to.

Do your research on 911's that tick off all/most of the boxes. When the time comes, and you find your dream car, and
you will find it;

Call of the people back and tell them you have dropped the car $7000.00 and Bob's-your-Uncle...

If I list it my car will with a 90% likelihood be a trade in, 7% over trade in value due to sales tax savings will be difficult to swallow for a private buyer, even being a CPO.

erko1905 11-21-2017 09:29 PM

Love it - or GT3

911seeker 11-21-2017 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by erko1905 (Post 14620458)
Love it - or GT3

he he, i have played a bit with the configurator, but no allocations available at MRSP, right?

erko1905 11-21-2017 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 911seeker (Post 14620499)
he he, i have played a bit with the configurator, but no allocations available at MRSP, right?

Same here (14 C4S, and familiar w that GT3 configurator, I'm pretty much set on my ideal 991.2 GT3 build).

I'm not sure whether I tried hard enough but I couldn't find any MSRP allocations around me - just too many "premium" Porsche customers and all around rich guys. Doesn't mean you can't find one though.

Johnny5Alive 11-21-2017 10:49 PM

I had the same dilemma. I kept it, did some upgrades and added a stable mate. I no longer think about gts or gt3.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...08b026c7d8.png
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cbd278b463.png
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bf47d70e59.png
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7c820b3470.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cd1523ab3d.jpg

R_Rated 11-21-2017 11:15 PM

If you don’t have a strong preference then love it.

If it’s not clear between NA and boost... you’ll miss NA. There will be more opportunities for turbo iterations but not 3.8 engines.

Gus_Smedstad 11-22-2017 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by 911seeker (Post 14619959)
for a few tens of dollars more I could even order a 18 GTS exactly to my liking...

This is exactly what I did 3 months ago. I had a perfectly good 2014 Amaranth Red C4S cab, and I traded it in for a 2018 GTS 4 cab built to my spec. This was, by the way after 18 months of ownership, exactly where you are now.

I've had a lot of second thoughts about this decision. However, I'm aware that right now my perspective is skewed because I've been without a car for 3 months (I've been driving my wife's Cayman S). Until the new car arrives and I start driving it I won't truly know if it was worth it. Right now I'm mostly feeling the absence of the old car and feeling like the new one is a mirage, even though it's actually built now and sitting in Emden waiting for a ship.

I think you need to dig deeper in to why you're thinking about giving up your current car, and what you expect to gain. I'm saying this as someone who has been in exactly your position.

You should be able to shrug off some of the things you've mentioned. The 30K miles is just a number, it's not going to change how the car drives. Worrying about resale value ignores the fact that all your replacement options are going to cost you more than the $10K that concerns you. And by cost you more, I mean you're buying depreciation, particularly if you buy a newer car.

The one really functional change I see on your list is a 991.2 steering wheel. I don't know what you're thinking, but the things I find attractive about the 991.2 wheel are the mode dial and paddles and multi-function controls. That's more of an issue with a PDK car than manual, obviously, but I do think it's a much nicer wheel.

If you drive in manual regularly, the mode dial may not be much of an improvement. If you've got a MF wheel right now with the push-buttons, try using the gearshift for gear changes. It's less efficient than buttons or paddles, but psychologically it can scratch at least some of the manual-gearshift itch.

You haven't really said what your impressions of the new cars were.

What attracts you about the 991.1 GTS? Because what you get with that is some extra HP above 6500 RPM, some performance options you haven't mentioned wanting otherwise, and the GTS badge. I don't get the impression that you track your car or wring every last bit out of it, so I get the impression that you'll find it drives exactly the same as your current car.

If you search your feelings and find that what you really want is the "bought a new car" feeling and/or the GTS badge, there's nothing wrong with that. You just have to acknowledge that this is your motivation, and decide if it's really worth the money to you.

How about the .2 cars? What do you want out of them? Did you feel the increased torque at low RPM, or did that not make an impression on you? Is it the new wheel, since you mentioned that? Because if you didn't get a strong impression that they'd drive differently, and be a definite improvement, we're back to a variant on new-car urge.

Changing body style can be a strong motivator for getting a new car, but you said you'd probably go coupe -> coupe, rather than coupe -> cab.

So can going manual ->PDK. But you've made clear that you were actually a bit turned off by going back to manual, though you'd accept a MT car.

Porscheforever 11-22-2017 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by 911seeker (Post 14619959)
First of all, this is more for me to organize my thoughts than to ask for help (although I will, of course, welcome ideas and comments), and it is LONG, so readers beware…

I have not decided yet what if and when I would change, or what would I buy. I am having a good time doing with my search though… I’ll give this some more time, more to come after the holidays. However, as of today, I think I am going to "love it"...

Yep, shopping for a new car is very pleasing experience indeed.

I think you'll know what to do when you see that "special one" that force you to decide from the heart than from the head. What we say to you will be useless when you are already falling in love :)