2018 C4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 04:00 PM
elaw
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 C4 GTS

Hi Everyone,

I just got word from the sale rep that I got a Feb build with likely April delivery.

This question is for the guys that have a current 991.2 GTS. In your opinion, what are some must have items on a C4 GTS? I will not be taking this car on a track.

Thank you in advance for your advice/thoughts.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

This will be a good read for you:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1029...e-options.html
Old 11-10-2017, 12:08 PM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by elaw
Hi Everyone,

I just got word from the sale rep that I got a Feb build with likely April delivery.

This question is for the guys that have a current 991.2 GTS. In your opinion, what are some must have items on a C4 GTS? I will not be taking this car on a track.

Thank you in advance for your advice/thoughts.
why don't you post what you are planning to order. we can add suggestions on what you missed

991.2 C4GTS owner
Old 11-10-2017, 12:54 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aftermarket grill screens from either Rennline or Zunsport. Just in case.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:15 PM
elaw
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like those aftermarket grills and will be adding that for sure.

I am meeting with the sales rep next week to finalize the options.

Definitely considering the RAS, PDK, and glass roof.

Not sure about whether to go with SPASM or the FAL. For those of you that have SPASM, is the ride stiff? I test drove a C2S and thought the ride was great (PASM).

I will post my selected options after the meeting next week.

Thanks,
Old 11-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Good comparison- print edition only:

https://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/251
Old 11-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

RAS is superb and the benefits are there from parking all the way up to the track. Probably the best value-for-money of any option on the 911.

PDK vs. manual is totally personal - I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with either.

If you have PDCC, no need for SPASM unless you’re a masochist.

I have FAL because of aggressive speed bumps but YMMV depending on where you live.

LCA I specced because I was in a box-ticking frenzy but in real life it’s really good and as I’ve said before, it only has to work once in anger over your ownership of the car to pay you back handsomely.

Try some representative seats before you go 4, 14 or 18-way as, again, it’s very personal.

Entry and Drive is a pleasant convenience.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I ordered a GTS 4 Cab in late August, supposed delivery late December. Here's what I ordered, most important bits first, with my reasoning for each item.

470 - Rear Axle Steering

Improved turning circle at slow speeds, improved stability while turning at high. Some forum members swear it's the single biggest handling improvement you can buy. I'm mostly getting it to make things like parallel parking that much easier.

457 - Lane Change Assist

LCA isn't a substitute for a headcheck, but it is one extra warning of something unexpected. I've almost been sideswiped while pulling into traffic even though I was sure I'd done a proper check. Think of it as a rather inexpensive form of insurance against possible injury or damage. Maybe it will never matter, but if it does, it's well worth it.

Particularly valuable on cabs and targas. Cabs of course have excellent visibility when the top is down, but when it's up it's rather less than a coupe.

474 - Front Axle Lift

I regularly navigate commercial entrance ways that will scrape or come near to scraping the front lip. I like the idea of not worrying about this.

P3E Premium Package Plus

Entry and Drive, seat heating, seat ventilation. I've found that unlocking the frunk with my hand instead of the remote is the most convenient aspect of entry and drive.

P06 14 way seats

You almost certainly want either the 14 way or 18 way seats, if only because they remember your settings if someone else messes with them. 14 way vs. 18 way seats is a personal preference

XWH - Headed Multifunction Steering Wheel in Carbon Fiber

This one's a bit odd, because it's a somewhat hidden option. It only shows up when you choose a Premium Package, and you choose "heated steering wheel."

Unlike the 991.1, the 991.2's multifunction wheel has no real drawbacks. It's almost as lean as the basic sport wheel, and you still get paddles if you have PDK.

Heating's nice in cold climates, though you still need gloves when you start the car.

Whether the carbon fiber decorative bits appeal to you is a matter of taste.

433 - 20" Carrera S Wheels

The centerlock wheels are extremely cool looking, but centerlocks also severely restrict your ability to mount aftermarket wheels. I live in a climate where switching to winter tires is required every year, and it's a lot simpler with mounted wheels. My local NTB is about 1/2 mile away and can handle swapping the 5-lug wheels. If I had centerlocks, I'd have to drive 7-8 miles to the dealership, and pay dealership prices for a trivial bit of work.

581 Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell

It's free, and convenient. If I were Porsche, I'd make it standard and add an option for deleting it, if you really don't like it for some reason.

583 - Smoking package

Free. I don't smoke, but I'd rather have a covered 12 volt outlet than a tiny pocket.

AZ - Leather Interior in Black.
714 - Deletion of Alcantara.

While Porsche touts Alcantara as "premium feature" of GTS models, really it's a cheap material that doesn't wear well. Particularly on the steering wheel and gearshift.

You can't get seat ventilation with alcantara.

9VL - Bose Surround Sound System.

Honestly, I don't know how the base radio sounds. To a certain degree this is a defensive option - we ordered my wife's Cayman S with just the basic radio, and it didn't have USB ports. Now I just assume that the basic radio in p-cars is going to be a bit backward and get the Bose option to ensure it has basic features.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:47 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Gus, I think we must be long-lost twins
Old 11-10-2017, 02:06 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
P3E Premium Package Plus

Entry and Drive, seat heating, seat ventilation. I've found that unlocking the frunk with my hand instead of the remote is the most convenient aspect of entry and drive.
I have Entry and Drive and had NO idea this was possible...that just sort of made my day...

I wonder what else I don't know about...
Old 11-10-2017, 02:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by wes66vette
I have Entry and Drive and had NO idea this was possible...that just sort of made my day...

I wonder what else I don't know about...
Yep! People think you're crazy when they see you doing it. Slowly wave your hand below the crest and to the left. You are now a Porsche whisperer.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:27 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I tell my kids I'm just using the force when I do that to the trunk...
Old 11-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Slowly wave your hand below the crest and to the left.
That works? I"ve always touched my palm to the frunk top and the front bumper. That immediately unlocks it. My guess was the the sensors were looking for the electrical path your hand makes between the two parts.

If it works without touching, it must be capacitance. I will say it's really fast if you touch the frunk top. Possibly faster than the wave you're describing. I can't test that right now since I pre-traded my C4S in late August.

The doors unlocking without fishing out the fob is nice too, but opening the frunk is the biggest timesaver, generally because my hands are full if I'm got stuff to put in the frunk.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:57 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

That works? I"ve always touched my palm to the frunk top and the front bumper. That immediately unlocks it. My guess was the the sensors were looking for the electrical path your hand makes between the two parts.

If it works without touching, it must be capacitance. I will say it's really fast if you touch the frunk top. Possibly faster than the wave you're describing. I can't test that right now since I pre-traded my C4S in late August.

The doors unlocking without fishing out the fob is nice too, but opening the biggest timesaver, generally because my hands are full if I'm got stuff to put in the frunk.
Waving works...just stood in my driveway for 5 minutes playing with the frunk...Happy Friday...
Old 11-10-2017, 03:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

The doors unlocking without fishing out the fob is nice too, but opening the frunk is the biggest timesaver, generally because my hands are full if I'm got stuff to put in the frunk.
Yes, it works. I wave. No touchy.

Quick Reply: 2018 C4 GTS