Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire at the Turbo Supplier for Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017 | 07:38 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
Wait....isn't the GT4 faster on a track than the .1 GTS?
Good point, sort of. I've driven 914s that will leave GT4s for dead on track.
Old 11-09-2017 | 07:46 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Please be true...build more GT cars in the meantime!!!
That would be great but do they have a supply of GT engines on hand to go into the additional cars?
Old 11-09-2017 | 08:00 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Conspiracy excuse for nobody wanting to buy the #2 cars...
Old 11-09-2017 | 08:20 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Conspiracy excuse for nobody wanting to buy the #2 cars...

But seriously, are sales really that bad?
Old 11-10-2017 | 09:49 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Well back to the original point of this thread....
As of this morning nothing has changed on my dates. Still scheduled for a mid January build.
Old 11-10-2017 | 09:53 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by subshooter
Wait....isn't the GT4 faster on a track than the .1 GTS? Maybe I have my memory wrong. I recall 7:40 for the GT4 on the ring but can't recall what the GTS was at.
Mine certainly is faster with me driving it than the GTS was, at least at Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park and Barber. Closer at AMP because it's a short track with lots of shifting (I had PDK in GTS). But the turns are often very slow/tight, and the GT4 transitions much better. But then the GTS has noticeably more power and puts it down better so the two were similar in time for me.

But I was just commenting on my steady descent in the last few years, down the power/acceleration curve of Porsches. Looking for a base Macan to replace GT4.
Old 11-10-2017 | 03:13 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Well back to the original point of this thread....
As of this morning nothing has changed on my dates. Still scheduled for a mid January build.
Thanks for the update, that is good to hear. They may have some parts in stock and some in the pipeline. My allocation is for February. I find it hard to believe that my SA would make something up like this in order to take my slot, but it wouldn’t be the first time a car salesman lied to me. I am going to ask him for a copy of the email he said he received from Atlanta.

Porsche may have engineered the Turbos with one vendor and now is in this predicament. I read a magazine article last year that mentioned the brand of turbochargers that the 991.2 uses, but now can’t remember. Does anyone recall the manufacturer’s name?
Old 11-10-2017 | 03:19 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911BOSS
Thanks for the update, that is good to hear. They may have some parts in stock and some in the pipeline. My allocation is for February. I find it hard to believe that my SA would make something up like this in order to take my slot, but it wouldn’t be the first time a car salesman lied to me. I am going to ask him for a copy of the email he said he received from Atlanta.

Porsche may have engineered the Turbos with one vendor and now is in this predicament. I read a magazine article last year that mentioned the brand of turbochargers that the 991.2 uses, but now can’t remember. Does anyone recall the manufacturer’s name?
Hopefully your car will not be delayed.

From what I have read Porsche is very much a "just in time" supplied company,....not much part supply on hand. If they don't have an alternate supplier it could delay quite a few cars along the way. Lets hope it's not bad.
Old 11-10-2017 | 04:01 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

He did acknowledge a fire though but was under the impression that only affected the Panamera 4S production.

If you get a copy of that email please post it or private message to me. I am very interested in this as I have already have one 6 week bump backwards since I ordered and may have to go a different route if I incur another lengthy delay.
Old 11-10-2017 | 04:05 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Are you guys really going to ask for a copy of the e-mail?? Maybe call Porsche Atlanta?
Old 11-10-2017 | 04:08 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

BorgWarner

https://blog.caranddriver.com/tech-d...urbo-flat-six/
Old 11-10-2017 | 04:11 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

No problem, just switch the line to flat out GT3 production and smash the flippers to dust 😎
Old 11-10-2017 | 05:04 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by StudGarden
No problem, just switch the line to flat out GT3 production and smash the flippers to dust 😎
^^^this!
Clearly the blowers are prone to catching fire
Old 11-10-2017 | 05:34 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
I would think/expect, for such a critical part, Porsche would be dual sourced for this item?
Nah, turbos can't be dual sourced because each supplier has unique aerodynamics, bearing systems, etc and slight changes in those mean changes in the engine calibration is required.
Old 11-10-2017 | 06:13 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

I was at the dealer today to get my car washed, and nobody there had heard anything about any production delays. They get a steady stream of news notes from Porsche, and there was nothing there. They checked my GTS order, and nothing had changed.

Quick Reply: Fire at the Turbo Supplier for Porsche?