Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to rejuvenate matte black on wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 09:17 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
sorry for the delay. It’s the Matte Wheel cleaner. Had matt Black HRE wheels on my previous 4S. They had all kinds of staining. I thought I would have to repaint. Did 2 washes with Dr B and could not believe they came out looking new.
That's great to hear. With the magic of Amazon my package is slated for delivery on Sunday. Alas, I now have my winter wheels on, which are not matte finish, and my summer wheels are resting peacefully at my house in the Poconos. But I'll clean and seal them while they're off the car so I can do it thoroughly. Don't need it for these though!

PS - Hey Sal - I've been using the Lloyds floor mats that you sold me a while back. They're really great - a nice touch to the interior!
Old 12-01-2017, 11:28 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
That's great to hear. With the magic of Amazon my package is slated for delivery on Sunday. Alas, I now have my winter wheels on, which are not matte finish, and my summer wheels are resting peacefully at my house in the Poconos. But I'll clean and seal them while they're off the car so I can do it thoroughly. Don't need it for these though!

PS - Hey Sal - I've been using the Lloyds floor mats that you sold me a while back. They're really great - a nice touch to the interior!
Thats great to hear. Glad you like them and are getting the use out of them. Best.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:40 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi guys!
funny.....just went thru this exact thing about 2months ago. Milky stains on my HRE 101’s. Tried Dr. Beasley’s but didn’t make much difference. Called Jurian at HRE, and called John at HRE in California. Both were very nice guys! Sent pictures to John and he said he’d not seen anything like it before. Only option was to send wheels back to him and he’d evaluate. It’s expensive to ship wheels, then be without the car for several weeks, then if not covered have to pay to redo. Much cheaper to have them redone here, took 4 days and they look perfect. Mine were satin blk......now went with 20%. Interesting that several of us have had this problem. Harsh chemicals were never used on mine by the way.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Does anybody know if the Dr. Beasley's Matte Wheel cleaner is PH balanced so it won't corrode the center locks on my GTS?
Old 12-02-2017, 10:54 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

UPDATE:
So these were my wheels before. Milky and bronzed. Had a PDR guy who used to own a body shop take care of a ding, and showed him my wheels. He said “let me try something” and got out 91% isopropyl alchohol. Unbelievably, it got rid of ALL that crap and the wheels are good as new!! They look incredible with how pitch black they pop, and how pure the sheen is. He said alchohol is a “secret” body shop guys use for lots of things.

It takes some elbow grease, but I urge anyone to try this before you spend big bucks on refinishing, etc.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:50 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,226 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

UPDATE:
So these were my wheels before. Milky and bronzed. Had a PDR guy who used to own a body shop take care of a ding, and showed him my wheels. He said “let me try something” and got out 91% isopropyl alchohol. Unbelievably, it got rid of ALL that crap and the wheels are good as new!! They look incredible with how pitch black they pop, and how pure the sheen is. He said alchohol is a “secret” body shop guys use for lots of things.

It takes some elbow grease, but I urge anyone to try this before you spend big bucks on refinishing, etc.

VERY interesting solution! Thanks for sharing this tip!
Old 12-03-2017, 10:13 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
VERY interesting solution! Thanks for sharing this tip!
No problem! I’ll put up “after” pics soon, but let me just say I’m ASTONISHED at how they look now. Pitch black, satin sheen, literally like new. So much dirt was caked on there that the most time consuming part is transferring all of it onto my towels.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:49 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
No problem! I’ll put up “after” pics soon, but let me just say I’m ASTONISHED at how they look now. Pitch black, satin sheen, literally like new. So much dirt was caked on there that the most time consuming part is transferring all of it onto my towels.
Great tip, I keep a bottle with 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol and water, in the car in case i get hit by bird crap. If not addressed asap, the acidity goes right through XPEL. The front hood had to be redone due to this, about a year ago.

Can't wait to see the clean wheels.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:12 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bemo
Great tip, I keep a bottle with 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol and water, in the car in case i get hit by bird crap. If not addressed asap, the acidity goes right through XPEL. The front hood had to be redone due to this, about a year ago.

Can't wait to see the clean wheels.
Here you go, this is with ONLY rubbing alcohol, nothing else on the wheels. Both pics (before and after) are after washing the car. Nuts!
Old 12-03-2017, 11:02 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,226 Likes on 741 Posts

That looks awesome. Huge difference. Will be using alcohol to clean wheels as part of my regiment going forward
Old 12-03-2017, 11:14 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Nice job. Looks good. I coated mine with the Gyeon Can Coat I have on the car and they clean with just a light power wash.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:13 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Here you go, this is with ONLY rubbing alcohol, nothing else on the wheels. Both pics (before and after) are after washing the car. Nuts!
Looks great but you should have paid the guy for a complete wheel detail, the inner barrels are always a challenge. While at it, switch to black lugs. Yes, yes, this is the part where you tell me to go to hell.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
That looks awesome. Huge difference. Will be using alcohol to clean wheels as part of my regiment going forward
Definitely do! Really feel fortunate to have gotten such invaluable advice. Often it’s the simplest solutions!

Originally Posted by Bemo
Looks great but you should have paid the guy for a complete wheel detail, the inner barrels are always a challenge. While at it, switch to black lugs. Yes, yes, this is the part where you tell me to go to hell.
Hahaha. Actually I think they ARE black, I just haven’t given them the alcohol treatment yet. I actually did it myself, but yeah he also said that if I want to go all the way, I gotta take them off and do the whole wheel. It took so long just doing the faces, I might try and get the barrels later, but at least for now my wheels actually pop! Still giddy when I look at them.

Quick Reply: Any way to rejuvenate matte black on wheels?