Sponsored by:

First drive reviews of 911T

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

To answer the original question, I doubt Porsche will do a press launch with this car. So you’re not going to see reviews on it. I could be dead wrong, of course, but that’s just my feeling
Old 11-08-2017, 11:02 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
To answer the original question, I doubt Porsche will do a press launch with this car. So you’re not going to see reviews on it. I could be dead wrong, of course, but that’s just my feeling
I agree. The 911T is not sufficiently different enough to justify a press launch and dealer roll out.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

There are always reviews. Jalopnik, Top Gear, anyone who can get their hands on one will do a review.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:52 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
I drive for my satisfaction, not others, so I don't care how power output "sounds". Cars are already too fast to fully exploit on public roads, so I find it much more satisfying to ring a car out with less power than be frustrated by going easy with a more powerful car.

So the T with the base engine and shorter gearing, PTV & SPASM will make it the most fun 911 variant for my driving preferences.
^ I'm with this guy.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:17 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
I drive for my satisfaction, not others, so I don't care how power output "sounds". Cars are already too fast to fully exploit on public roads, so I find it much more satisfying to ring a car out with less power than be frustrated by going easy with a more powerful car.

So the T with the base engine and shorter gearing, PTV & SPASM will make it the most fun 911 variant for my driving preferences.
THIS.

The amount of time you can reasonably operate a base 991.2 at full throttle on public roads is measured in single-digit seconds. Paying-up for bigger turbos (in the S, GTS, TTS), IMO, epitomizes the law of diminishing returns. So, I'm glad people have choices and I'm glad the T exists because for some, like the poster above, getting the T's handling, gearing and aesthetic niceties is better value than getting extra power for the same upcharge.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
There are always reviews. Jalopnik, Top Gear, anyone who can get their hands on one will do a review.
There are only reviews when there are press cars. Unless someone like Doug Demuro borrows a car from a viewer, there will only be reviews if Porsche making press cars available. Press cars are unregistered cars that Porsche has to make, ship to a location (or multiple) for reviews. Then their press fleet manager has to set up the time, deliver it to the reviewers, etc. It's something that costs money. Especially since those cars are not resold to the public.

And I just can't see them doing that for this car.

Could be wrong. Maybe the changed gearing is something they want journos to experience? But I don't think so.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
THIS.

The amount of time you can reasonably operate a base 991.2 at full throttle on public roads is measured in single-digit seconds. Paying-up for bigger turbos (in the S, GTS, TTS), IMO, epitomizes the law of diminishing returns. So, I'm glad people have choices and I'm glad the T exists because for some, like the poster above, getting the T's handling, gearing and aesthetic niceties is better value than getting extra power for the same upcharge.
Not all states and highway systems present the same circumstances. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with some pretty amazing rural state highways. Spyder has been a blast, but so has the Shelby. I like the idea of the T, light and nimble, but torque on demand from GTS sounds pretty nice too. I'm sure either would be great.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:28 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
THIS.
The amount of time you can reasonably operate a base 991.2 at full throttle on public roads is measured in single-digit seconds.
I'm with you but they did not go far enough... imagine the T gearing topped off at 150 mph in 6th (use that as an economy gear) and therefore all the gears were measurably shorter... I used to own a slightly outlaw 912 with super short "airport" gearing, only about 100 hp but setup like a go-kart. THAT car was driveable at 9/10th on public roads all day and all night... it sounded fast, it felt fast from where I was sitting, it was emphatically not fast in a straight line but cornered like a banshee. Biggest smile on my face... all you risked was possibly a couple points on your license - worst case.... Same behavior on my 991 and I'm going straight to jail without having ever left third gear ;-)

I've changed my opinion on the T. I went from cynical to being glad it exists as a great alternative to a base car. But I still wish they'd gone way further with the idea...
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
I'm probably going to get flamed here, but I just personally don't see the appeal of this car. As soon as you put some options on it, all of which are available on the S, its not a performance bargain. I do understand some of the cosmetic options aren't available, as well as the weight savings (which is completely negligible in my mind).
Well LWBs aren't a cosmetic option; they're a must have for some people, me included, and it still prices out less than a comparable S. I think the big mistake they made was not putting the 6 speed in it. That would have differentiated it properly.

Then again, Porsche probably doesn't want to sell a ton of these anyway. They make better margin if you buy an S. This car is more a marketing thing.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:54 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
Imagine the T gearing topped off at 150 mph in 6th...
Oh, I do imagine. All the time. That would be a 911 for the ages.

I owned a '87 944S for 9 years, a model distinguished from the regular 2.5L 944 by a unique 16-valve head. All the power was above 4k, so the factory gave it a shorter final drive ratio to take advantage. About a third the way through my ownership I spun a rod bearing at Laguna and replaced the 2.5L engine with a 3.0L 16v 944S2 motor. That gave me the best of both worlds: torque + short gearing.

Throttle response (or what the Germans call "biss" meaning bite or sting) on that thing was Heaven. Way better than any air-cooled 911 I've ever driven.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:17 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, Porsche claims lower gearing for the T but the listed top speed is only 2 MPH slower than the base and the 0-60 is only 0.1 second quicker so how much lower can it be?

My butt would not be able to tell the difference between 4.3 and 4.2.

Also zero-60 is the same for both with PDK
Old 11-08-2017, 05:28 PM
porshanut
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I ordered a T last week. I've had 48 911's including 4 991.1's. I don't track my car except for an occasional PCA DE weekend just to drive fast and experience the race track at speed. I live in Austin and just to get on COTA is a blast. Even at my modest level. I have been a Porsche enthusiast since my first one in '74 stationed as an Air Force pilot in Europe. What is important to me is Sport Exhaust, the sport PASM and the short shift manual transmission. All my 991's and the later 997's had PDK or Tiptronic. This car made me want to back to the manual! I ordered it with a few things such as LCA, T interior, BOSE (reluctantly), Entry and drive, and Chrono. Having driven the Base and S back to back they are both great cars and I just didn't see enough difference for every day driving to get an S. The new turbo engine is really good on both models. My build came out to $111,500 and change. I think it will be a really great 911.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:09 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 246 Posts

I don’t get this car and think it is a Marketing gimmick. Why not offer sport PASM in the base Carrera. The accent bits are not to everyone’s taste. With the turbos, the slightly shorter gearing is besides the point. PTV in this car has no auto braking but so what? My 4s has the mechanical differential with the auto braking. And the cloth seats and cloth pull handles seem awfully gimmicky. Less sound deadening but the savings are 11 pounds over a base Carrera with 19 inch wheels. And no upgraded standard brakes. Not sure why I would buy this over the S. And this car has the SE which some folks like me don’t like.
Well another flavor from the 911 lineup to choose from I suppose.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:48 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Press cars are unregistered cars that Porsche has to make, ship to a location (or multiple) for reviews. Then their press fleet manager has to set up the time, deliver it to the reviewers, etc. It's something that costs money. Especially since those cars are not resold to the public.
This is not correct. This press car is currently available for sale (I test drove it a few months ago). Compare the VIN numbers on C&D’s data sheet.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ic-test-review

http://www.porschechandler.com/used/...fba2c1339a.htm
Old 11-08-2017, 07:57 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE, it is It is hard to configure a 911T for much less than low end 911S levels.[/QUOTE]

Since my low end 2017 MT 911S had a MSRP of approximately $106K, it is impossible, not just hard, to configure a 911T for much less.

Quick Reply: First drive reviews of 911T