Sponsored by:

First drive reviews of 911T

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts
Default First drive reviews of 911T

When should we expect to see some real world reports?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:58 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really looking forward to this car, just wish they would go even more bare bones and make it 5-10k less than a base model 911...dreaming, I know.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:55 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by MAcarbon
I'm really looking forward to this car, just wish they would go even more bare bones and make it 5-10k less than a base model 911...dreaming, I know.
Great dream. Just try to find a base Carrera specced out less than $110k. They exist, but not very plentiful. Porsche is stuffing 911s full of options, as they have only so many production slots, they aren't going to use many for low end cars. It is hard to configure a 911T for much less than low end 911S levels.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I have yet to see any real world reviews as of yet, but as a side note I just entered the PCA raffle for the 911 T. It's no GTS, but hey, I'll take any "free" Porsche I can get.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:23 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Great dream. Just try to find a base Carrera specced out less than $110k. They exist, but not very plentiful. Porsche is stuffing 911s full of options, as they have only so many production slots, they aren't going to use many for low end cars. It is hard to configure a 911T for much less than low end 911S levels.
^ This is the issue.

Might have been cool if they offered PSE as an option on the T while cutting $3k out of the price, to keep it to $99k—but I wonder how many T buyers would go without PSE? The T is a cool car, but it gets pricey—$109k for my desired setup with the standard vinyl interior (no T pack), and $118k for the same setup plus PCCB. A nice S with similar performance options can be had for similar money. And maybe that's part of the strategy here?

Still, if the T drives as well as it promises to, it could be a very, very, very cool addition to the 911 lineup. If I was ordering a 991.2 again, I'd have to give it a very hard look.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:48 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ This is the issue.

Might have been cool if they offered PSE as an option on the T while cutting $3k out of the price, to keep it to $99k—but I wonder how many T buyers would go without PSE? The T is a cool car, but it gets pricey—$109k for my desired setup with the standard vinyl interior (no T pack), and $118k for the same setup plus PCCB. A nice S with similar performance options can be had for similar money. And maybe that's part of the strategy here?

Still, if the T drives as well as it promises to, it could be a very, very, very cool addition to the 911 lineup. If I was ordering a 991.2 again, I'd have to give it a very hard look.
I'm probably going to get flamed here, but I just personally don't see the appeal of this car. As soon as you put some options on it, all of which are available on the S, its not a performance bargain. I do understand some of the cosmetic options aren't available, as well as the weight savings (which is completely negligible in my mind).

I guess I can see the purist's POV that its a drivers car and the exclusivity, but why not just option out an S in the same manner and get more performance and a nearly identical driving experience. Perhaps, I feel like its bit gimmicky, then again, I drive a GTS, which is all of the performance goodies in a non-"turbo" platform.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
I'm probably going to get flamed here, but I just personally don't see the appeal of this car. As soon as you put some options on it, all of which are available on the S, its not a performance bargain. I do understand some of the cosmetic options aren't available, as well as the weight savings (which is completely negligible in my mind).

I guess I can see the purist's POV that its a drivers car and the exclusivity, but why not just option out an S in the same manner and get more performance and a nearly identical driving experience. Perhaps, I feel like its bit gimmicky, then again, I drive a GTS, which is all of the performance goodies in a non-"turbo" platform.
^ Can't argue with that. Did a quick run at a "similar" S, and came up with this at $119k: PJY1KAT5 http://www.porsche-code.com/PJY1KAT5

For me it would come down to a similarly performance-oriented 991.2S with no PCCB or SportTex seating vs 991.2T with both features for $1k less than the S—or the same T w/o PCCB for $10k less. Of course, the S has bigger brakes and more power. After that, personal preference and options will skew the math all sorts of ways—as does a 991.2 GTS in a nice if spare spec for $126k.

These aren't bad choices to have. Before the 997 GTS arrived, choices were limited to "consumer Carrera" or "consumer Turbo" or GT product. Now there are two driver-oriented Carrera-line models.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:19 PM
phx991
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD

Maybe I'm missing something, but an S with SC, PSE, and PASM is $115,810.

The 911T comes standard with all that stuff (minus the clock) for $103,510, weighs 33 lbs less, and has shorter gear ratios.

The difference in performance is 2 tenths of a second to 60, and although some may disagree, I can't tell much of difference driving a base and S back to back.

I would save the $12,000 and get the T over an S.

But if I was going to load a 991 with performance options, I would skip the S and go right to the GTS.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:30 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

^. For me, the choice is a nicely outfitted T vs a lesser outfitted GTS. With a modest discount the GTS might only be about 10-12 k more. For all that HP, and bigger standard brakes, I think that might be the way to go. The way HP ramps up with each new model, 450 hp will stay "relevant" much longer than 370 hp, well into production of the 992. Even if the T drives great, 370 hp will start to sound outdated pretty quickly, I'm afraid.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:33 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think youre going to see any of the low optioned T's any more than your going to see any low optioned GTS's.

Every GTS I've seen, which doesnt include nationwide searches and special orders, has been +140K.

Im guessing most of the T's will be +110K with RAS, and the T interior package, let alone the PCCB.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

^ Disagree. Just like people used allocations for GT4 to order strippers, same will be done with 911T. And an allocation for a GTS could be used exactly the same way.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:43 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Not trolling, but for a PDK setup, are there any realistic differences in terms of performance and "the way it drives" for a T? It seems like its just some packaged options with special decals and cloth seats no?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
^ Disagree. Just like people used allocations for GT4 to order strippers, same will be done with 911T. And an allocation for a GTS could be used exactly the same way.

I agree completely. Anybody ordering a car, can order it anyway they want. It is not Porsche that is optioning any car that they sell, it is the dealers for their inventory, and customers on their special orders.

You won't see any strippers on a dealer lot, but you could order nothing on it for a special order, if you so choose. If the T is as limited as is speculated, then probably none will end up on a lot. Any that sneak through will then be over-optioned in all likelihood.

When I finally got to order my GTS, the order was already in the system (not locked) at a different dealer, and I stripped it back from $159K to $140K. Far from a stripper, but proof there is no conspiracy out there by Porsche to insure no strippers are built.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:38 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the way Porsche operate - they basically offer a series of starting points that can be built on to deliver the car that you want. There is a price attached to this, which is normal, and indeed not that excessive if you want a "bespoke" product.

More interestingly, they are offering a range of experiences that you can customise to your own tastes. You no longer need to get a GT car for performance, likewise you can now get a GT car that is relatively comfortable.

I get why people would pick a base model stripper through to a Turbo S. They pretty much cater for every taste and just about every combination of flavours.

The introduction of turbocharging through the range was a bit of a masterstroke (in part due to legislation but also in part due to the performance limitations of NA cars at specific price points and, in part due to competition) - the outcome is performance throughout the whole range and the choice of performance outcome, colour and comfort is very much in the buyers hands.

Thats is very much win - win.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:51 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
... Even if the T drives great, 370 hp will start to sound outdated pretty quickly, I'm afraid.
I drive for my satisfaction, not others, so I don't care how power output "sounds". Cars are already too fast to fully exploit on public roads, so I find it much more satisfying to ring a car out with less power than be frustrated by going easy with a more powerful car.

So the T with the base engine and shorter gearing, PTV & SPASM will make it the most fun 911 variant for my driving preferences.

Quick Reply: First drive reviews of 911T