Sponsored by:

Bendpak 4-post lift sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 10:37 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Bendpak 4-post lift sizes?

I'm planning to get a Bendpak 4-post lift and curious to hear from those who have one for a porsche. Trying to decide between the HD-7 or HD-9 series, and which width and height to get. I'm inclined to get the wider and higher version of the 7 (HD-7W), since the 9 seems like overkill for sports cars. Any experiences or words of wisdom? This is for the home garage and storage/work on 911's and cars of that general size...
Old 11-04-2017, 02:09 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

4 more post till 10,000!
Old 11-04-2017, 06:09 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the tall HD-7 and the width is tight. Would get the wider version version if I were to buy another one.
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2017, 10:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SDaddy
I have the tall HD-7 and the width is tight. Would get the wider version version if I were to buy another one.
Great input, thanks. Would you stick with the 7 or move up to the HD-9 series?
Old 11-04-2017, 11:02 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Great input, thanks. Would you stick with the 7 or move up to the HD-9 series?
The 7 is plenty heavy-duty. A consideration when installing is making sure the floor mounting points are level. My garage floor had a very slight slope and small "piers" for three legs were needed to accomplish this. A laser level was very helpful.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:34 AM
K9PJ/4
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can anyone recommend an installer in west central Florida for Bend Pak or similar 4 post? Thanks
Old 11-05-2017, 03:16 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Get the biggest lift your garage can handle. The up front cost isn't that much more and the biggest gives you most flexibility for the future. Who knows what you will own down the road. I have the HD9XL and love it. Primarily store my Cobra on it and it is big enough that I can park my F150 Crew cab on it or under it without even folding the mirrors in.
Never heard anyone say they wish they had a smaller lift.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:10 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Get the biggest lift your garage can handle. The up front cost isn't that much more and the biggest gives you most flexibility for the future. Who knows what you will own down the road. I have the HD9XL and love it. Primarily store my Cobra on it and it is big enough that I can park my F150 Crew cab on it or under it without even folding the mirrors in.
Never heard anyone say they wish they had a smaller lift.
How is the lift height on the HD9XL for working under a car? The specs say it's a 70 inch lift, which seems too short for a guy who stands 72" tall?? The HD-7W goes up a extra foot and is wide like yours, but it's two feet shorter and rated for less weight. Do you think the extra length is needed for typical sports cars?
Old 11-06-2017, 08:05 AM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Some installation pictures taken almost 10 yrs ago show height in relation to me and my garage door as well as provide a little prospective on length. I would be happy, in retrospect, if the lift was not as long but wider. The height of the tall version is perfect. The height is not useful when working on a car but it is helpful with getting around in the garage, parking another car, etc. while the lifted car is just sitting.
Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2017, 11:09 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

How is the lift height on the HD9XL for working under a car? The specs say it's a 70 inch lift, which seems too short for a guy who stands 72" tall?? The HD-7W goes up a extra foot and is wide like yours, but it's two feet shorter and rated for less weight. Do you think the extra length is needed for typical sports cars?
My apologies I messed that up. I have the HD9-XW with the 84" lift and not the XL with the 70" lift. The 84" is perfect for me at 6'3". I can put it at any of the lower steps to get whatever I am working on it a perfect position. I would not be happy with only 70" lift capability being a tall guy.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
My apologies I messed that up. I have the HD9-XW with the 84" lift and not the XL with the 70" lift. The 84" is perfect for me at 6'3". I can put it at any of the lower steps to get whatever I am working on it a perfect position. I would not be happy with only 70" lift capability being a tall guy.
Very helpful and consistent with my thoughts. Appreciate that. As best I can tell, to get and HD-9 that is both tall and wide, it also has to be 224 inches long -- like your HD-9XW. The HD-7, however, comes in a 200 inch version that is tall and wide (the HD-7W). An extra 2 feet of garage space behind the rack makes a big difference in my garage, so I'm quickly concluding the HD-7W is what I'll get since I just don't see a future need to put anything much bigger than a 911 up top -- unless I'm missing something...
Old 11-06-2017, 02:06 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Very helpful and consistent with my thoughts. Appreciate that. As best I can tell, to get and HD-9 that is both tall and wide, it also has to be 224 inches long -- like your HD-9XW. The HD-7, however, comes in a 200 inch version that is tall and wide (the HD-7W). An extra 2 feet of garage space behind the rack makes a big difference in my garage, so I'm quickly concluding the HD-7W is what I'll get since I just don't see a future need to put anything much bigger than a 911 up top -- unless I'm missing something...

That sounds like the right lift for you. My lift size was predominantly determined by what I was going to park under it and not on top of it so that is why I went the way I did.
Very pleased with the lift and self installation was quite easy if you are inclined to go that route.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:42 PM
charles06
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by K9PJ/4
Can anyone recommend an installer in west central Florida for Bend Pak or similar 4 post? Thanks
Fast Equipment in Fort Myers
Mike
800-225-7234

They installed my Direct Lift this past Thursday for my GT3. They carry both Bendpak and Direct Lift, and recommended Direct Lift. Rotary Lift is the parent company of Direct Lift. You may have seen Rotary Lifts in larger shops/dealerships. Direct Lift is their residential company.

I purchased a 4-post 9,000 lbs lift w/longer ramps for $4,300, installed. Also, there is no need for an air tank, as the locks are mechanical. VERY simple. And for those of you considering a lift, make sure you have an electrician install a 20 amp outlet.

Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the lift. Just don't ask for pictures. Direct Lift has a website for that. The lift is black.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:54 PM
whoadude
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Coincidentally bendpak just posted a pic of my garage on their IG page! I went with the HD-9.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2017, 04:23 PM
K9PJ/4
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Charles06, I appreciate your info!

Quick Reply: Bendpak 4-post lift sizes?