Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be calling the Dealer for Updates ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 03:46 PM
triplekg
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Should I be calling the Dealer for Updates ?

Not sure if this is in the right spot or not.

In May I decided to purchase a Turbo. Called Dealer and worked out price / trade in and pulled the Trigger - Dealer had the turbo allocation and my Order had to be Locked Mid Sept.

I've pre traded another vehicle so basically they have $100k deposit.

The dealer has told me Delivery is expected in Feb. Should I be calling the dealer to ask about build dates and a more detailed Time line??

I don't want to be annoying but did spend over 200k on a car and am getting Super Excited for arrival.

Thanks!!
Old 10-30-2017, 03:56 PM
991.2GTS
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, you should. Just be polite and stuff and ask them for the timetable. When I ordered my car I usually asked for an update once a month
Old 10-30-2017, 03:59 PM
mcp486
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since it's getting closer to your build date, your dealer should be able to provide a reasonably accurate timeline. Depending on the options chosen on your build (especially CXX/Exclusive Manufaktur/Odd Requests), the build date can shift slightly.

My dealer was great throughout the process. Beyond the initial dates I was given, my SA would give me updates when a significant status change occured, i.e. Enter/Exit Body shop, waiting at port in Emden, vessel info.

February will be here sooner than you know it!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:21 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.2GTS
yeah, you should. Just be polite and stuff and ask them for the timetable. When I ordered my car I usually asked for an update once a month
Also - if you have any "dates" or night out on the town coming up - would be appropriate to request a loaner to get your fix while you await delivery.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:30 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Ask your dealer to give you screenshots of the tracking screen. My rep wasn't too responsive but I did get periodic updates. You just need to keep asking. Don't think you are bugging them. You haven't even fully paid for the car yet so they still need to make you happy to close the sale. Too bad Porsche doesn't let people track their builds on their website.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:05 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Good SAs will send you data and information without you asking. You just spent a ton of money and they want to keep ypu happy for your next purchase. Don't hesitate to ask. Get him/her to give you a screen shot of the PSVMS screen: Example from one of my Porsches below.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:53 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm in a similar situation. Did a pre-trade and ordered my car Sept 6 with an expected February delivery. Monthly I ask for him to send me a screen shot of the tracking screen. I am eagerly awaiting Nov 1 to email for my monthly update. Curiously when I decided I wanted to order a car I came here and noticed people posting screen shots of the tracking screens and V-codes. Naturally when I ordered I asked to see mine. The SA made the comment that I was the first person to ever ask to see that and he has been selling Porsche's for well over a decade. I thought that was kind of funny and I was glad the forum had educated me on the process. My SA has been very accommodating to share info with me. I cant imagine yours would have a problem with an occasional check in.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:28 PM
triplekg
Racer

Im going to wait until Mid November and ask him for an update.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:32 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't need to wait. Just ask him to email you a screenshot of the tracking screen from the Porsche Sales & Vehicle Management System. Then keep asking him for a new one every so often. If he won't do it, email the sales manager.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:48 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I hope they placed your deposit in an interest bearing account.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:38 PM
Big997Fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Not sure who would get the interest if the OP backs out of the deal...

Not talking about a ton of money in either case.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:07 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
"Pre-trading" is not a cash deposit as such. Your car is taken and resold. I was told that they would refund the trade-in value should I decide to cancel the deal.

OP, your SA should be able to provide you with the tracking info - just ask.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:16 PM
*991*
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 94 Posts

I love the way BMW does it I was able to track the building of my M4 every step of the way on line or by calling BMW usa from order submitted by dealer to ship it was saling on for delivery even tracking the progress of the ship across the Atlantic. I am surprised Porsche does not do this as well
Old 10-31-2017, 08:12 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by *991*
I love the way BMW does it I was able to track the building of my M4 every step of the way on line or by calling BMW usa from order submitted by dealer to ship it was saling on for delivery even tracking the progress of the ship across the Atlantic. I am surprised Porsche does not do this as well
The last M3 I ordered was in 2010. The online tracking system at that time was inadequate at best. I checked the day I picked up the car and it showed the car still floating on a ship in the Atlantic. The SA was also equally ill-informed.

Other than having to pester the SA periodically, the Porsche works well and is updated promptly. The SA can even tell you what boat your car is being shipped on and there are several sites on the internet that allow you to track the vessel in real time.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:28 PM
triplekg
Racer

emailed dealer today - he said production Mid December with Mid Feb Delivery.
car order was locked Mid September

Quick Reply: Should I be calling the Dealer for Updates ?