Sponsored by:

Alert: A flood loss 911

Old 10-29-2017, 07:01 PM
punter7768
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Alert: A flood loss 911

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to put this in the forum as an alert in case this car ever hits the market. Hopefully i'm placing in the right spot.

My 2013 991 base cabriolet, silver, manual was sitting in the Port of Galveston awaiting shipment. was set to sail on 25 August...when Hurricane harvey hit.

USAA decided to make it a total flood loss and bought me out. Apparently there was water on the floor mats....PM me for further details. It's gone to the auctions.

VIN is WP0CA2A9XDS140103.

Does anyone know how I get this info to car max?
Old 11-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Stuggart
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by punter7768
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to put this in the forum as an alert in case this car ever hits the market. Hopefully i'm placing in the right spot.

My 2013 991 base cabriolet, silver, manual was sitting in the Port of Galveston awaiting shipment. was set to sail on 25 August...when Hurricane harvey hit.

USAA decided to make it a total flood loss and bought me out. Apparently there was water on the floor mats....PM me for further details. It's gone to the auctions.

VIN is WP0CA2A9XDS140103.

Does anyone know how I get this info to car max?
https://www.luxurycars.com/2013-Pors...4/Details.aspx

is this the same car you mentioned?
Old 11-24-2018, 02:21 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

That's it
Old 11-24-2018, 03:20 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I always wonder how many of these are out there for the unsuspecting buyer. Doesn't an insurance total loss show up on a carfax for the VIN though?

J
Old 11-24-2018, 03:26 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Shockingly no Carfax on this one, with all the weather damage nationally this really could be more important than ever. I also thought by law, at the auction, this car had to be noted as flood damaged which would mean the seller is aware.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:42 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Although I have never purchased a car from this dealer he is straight forward when inquiring on a car. He mostly deals with flood losses and theft recovery vehicles. I bet if you call on the car he will disclose the water damage.

*** Actually in the "About us section on his website it says all the above.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:27 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the heads up we need to alert everyone of these findings to protect and promote our hobby
Old 11-24-2018, 06:36 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

At the bottom of the vehicle description, in the fine print:
"...we specialize in buying and selling vehicles paid off in insurance claims due to water related incidents or recovered theft with little to no damage. Our vehicles are the opposite extreme of what most consumers have seen in the media."
Old 11-24-2018, 06:43 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

A question. If the previous owners insurance company totaled this car due to water damage how is that "little to no damage". Just trying to understand how cars can be described in a legitimate manner.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:53 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm not going to comment on the dealer, as it seems they are open about the cars they sell. However, it is hard to believe that the vehicle is not on CarFax, as total loss and theft recovery vehicles are about the only things insurance companies report to CarFax.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:55 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car does show up as salvage title on AutoCheck (and even a VIN search via Google reveals this fact).

This number of forum members here make up a tiny fraction of all Porsche owners and prospective buyers, so posting the info here is about the same as shouting it from your rooftop.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:11 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Seems like it would be a good car at at good price if someone planned to drive for it for years to come with no worries about selling it.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:36 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Seems like it would be a good car at at good price if someone planned to drive for it for years to come with no worries about selling it.

And that also goes for cars with a Carfax minimal accident. I just went through the process of getting rear-ended with no long term damage as it was just replacing the rear bumper cover, and exhaust parts. It was a pain worrying about it, because most people (at least on this forum) won't even consider purchasing a car with as much as a scratch on a side mirror. Ended up not a big deal to me, as I never intended to sell the car in the near term, and I managed to get a fair settlement on diminished value. However, I can't imagine how many really great cars are stigmatized unnecessarily by meaningless CarFax reports.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:42 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
And that also goes for cars with a Carfax minimal accident. I just went through the process of getting rear-ended with no long term damage as it was just replacing the rear bumper cover, and exhaust parts. It was a pain worrying about it, because most people (at least on this forum) won't even consider purchasing a car with as much as a scratch on a side mirror. Ended up not a big deal to me, as I never intended to sell the car in the near term, and I managed to get a fair settlement on diminished value. However, I can't imagine how many really great cars are stigmatized unnecessarily by meaningless CarFax reports.
Absolutely! End up driving around in fear that someone will put a slight ding on a bumper and the car won't be sell-able. We should all plan on having good knowledge how to get diminished value. I would create a poll asking how many folks have have some type of minor damage but I get the feeling not many would want to answer it. Same goes for 'tracking' our 911s, god forgive.
Don't get me wrong I see value in carfax but sometimes it seems more harmful then helpful.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:45 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
For many Porsche owners, especially with 991 and Boxster/Cayman, their cars are much closer to the fetish end of the spectrum, as opposed to the appliance end. At the extreme fetish level, even driving a new 991 is seen as sacrilegious. So anything that violates the original integrity of the factory perfection is unacceptable. Logic and economics do not apply.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alert: A flood loss 911