Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 C4S builds missing Rear Axle Steering - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:56 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
I have one. And I actually like it.
I have one, too.

It's all I have left of my car...
Old 10-31-2017, 10:06 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I have one, too.

It's all I have left of my car...
Salvage grade? I’ll buy it for $25!
Old 10-31-2017, 11:22 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Salvage grade? I’ll buy it for $25!
I grabbed it, hoping I could salvage it...but sadly, it was broken...

Old 10-31-2017, 11:53 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
I ordered a C4S without the sport package or RWS. I don't need them for a car that is used on back roads and occasional commuting. If you can discern RWS in a 4s in normal driving (not a racing circuit) you are an exceptional driver. Perhaps a professional. I don't need a farting exhaust either for 3k.
One can add a lot of options to the car like PSE, PDCC, RWS, etc. that add very little, IMO, to the feel of a 911 with a MT. I preferred to spend my money elswehere.

There's a lot to be said for this,...although I got the farting exhaust and would order RWS today.

Back in 2005 I ordered a new Cayman S,....but didn't order any of the "performance" options at the time,.....no 19" wheels, PASM, PCCB, etc.
Got the basic suspension, 18" wheels, standard brakes. Most thought I was crazy not to get them.

Turns out a magazine tested a fully loaded Cayman S (with all the above options) against a bare bones (like mine) S. Long story short, around an ~8 minute track the loaded version was only something like
8 second faster,.....yes 8 seconds or 1% faster with $12K worth of options. Not exactly the best of deals.

Buy only what you think you will use,....and save the rest for the next one.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:10 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,545 Likes on 5,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
There's a lot to be said for this,...although I got the farting exhaust and would order RWS today.

Back in 2005 I ordered a new Cayman S,....but didn't order any of the "performance" options at the time,.....no 19" wheels, PASM, PCCB, etc.
Got the basic suspension, 18" wheels, standard brakes. Most thought I was crazy not to get them.

Turns out a magazine tested a fully loaded Cayman S (with all the above options) against a bare bones (like mine) S. Long story short, around an ~8 minute track the loaded version was only something like
8 second faster,.....yes 8 seconds or 1% faster with $12K worth of options. Not exactly the best of deals.

Buy only what you think you will use,....and save the rest for the next one.
I don't necessarily disagree with this but, and this is a big but, this is a slippery slope.

What counts as something "you think you will use"? Between a base and an S, do you really use the bigger brakes or the additional power? Or some of the other "goodies" that one can option on a 911? Like an X51, or PDCC? Or dynamic engine mounts?

None of those are necessarily critical and can either detract or add to the driving experience depending on your perspective, experience, skill, intended use, etc.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:13 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
I ordered a C4S without the sport package or RWS. I don't need them for a car that is used on back roads and occasional commuting. If you can discern RWS in a 4s in normal driving (not a racing circuit) you are an exceptional driver. Perhaps a professional. I don't need a farting exhaust either for 3k.
One can add a lot of options to the car like PSE, PDCC, RWS, etc. that add very little, IMO, to the feel of a 911 with a MT. I preferred to spend my money elswehere.
It sure is nice for u turns! 🙂
Old 11-11-2018, 06:50 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

The remark made by the dealer is accurate in regards to a “cap” on MSRP for each model. Residuals used on all car do max out therefore, highly optioned cars may not qualify for higher residual offered on lighter option cars of same model and year. This is unlikely something dealers will discuss with customers wanting to lease.

Quick Reply: 991.2 C4S builds missing Rear Axle Steering - Why?