Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 C4S builds missing Rear Axle Steering - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 04:47 PM
abec
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 C4S builds missing Rear Axle Steering - Why?

I have been shopping for a 991.2 C4S, and I have noticed that many otherwise perfectly built cars are missing Rear Axle Steering when they do have Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust and also have either the GT Sport Steering Wheel or the Sport Mirrors. I can understand skipping the elaborate Sport Steering Wheel, and I can understand skipping the Sport Mirrors if you want folding mirrors, but why do dealers build without the Rear Axle Steering when it seems so popular here on Rennlist. So I asked a dealer, and they said something to the effect that above a certain cost of options in a lease that the cost doesn't flow to the residual and must be made up by the buyer in the Cap Cost reduction, AND that sometimes eye candy sells over performance. A lot of these cars do have other glistening options (that to me seem unnecessary), but the price increase by selecting the Sport Package, which contains all five options, is max $800. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. I would prefer not to custom order since I want to drive a car by Thanksgiving. See below example.

Last edited by abec; 10-29-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:52 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 657 Posts

I asked a similar question once about an in stock car I was interested in that didn't have SC but had optional wheels that cost more than SC; the answer was "fancy wheels sell cars".
I don't know how many spec cars get the sport package and I would guess spec ordering RAS alone is even rarer.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:28 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

There is generally no obvious rhyme nor reason as to how dealers order cars. I'm pretty convinced they hang sheets of paper on the wall that have all the options arrayed on them, and then throw darts at the sheets while blindfolded.

How else would a $160 plastic gas cap imitating aluminum ever get optioned on a sports car?
Old 10-29-2017, 11:30 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Because noise (PSE) is more desirable than handling?
Old 10-29-2017, 11:36 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Because most buyers aren't real drivers and wouldn't notice this option driving between stoplights or on the freeway.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:00 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,545 Likes on 5,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips
Because most buyers aren't real drivers and wouldn't notice this option driving between stoplights or on the freeway.
But I hear it's really useful navigating the Starbuck drive-thru.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:22 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
All apex's matter.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:19 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

Those who frequent Rennlist forums tend to be more performance oriented. The punters who generally buy off the lot are looking for the bling, not the beef.

Also consider that Porsche is now primarily an SUV manufacturer and secondarily a sports car manufacturer. As a result there are fewer 911/718 models in their inventory and the dealers get them "loaded" to use as demos (and sell to the punters). Performance oriented shoppers are usually willing to order a car that meets their exact requirements.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:29 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by abec
I would prefer not to custom order since I want to drive a car by Thanksgiving.
Afraid she'll change her mind, eh?

Suck it up, order the dam thing already. Not directing this (only) at you, my friend, but I'll never understand a person paying a buck-thirty for a "dream car" and taking what's on the lot. I see this on enthusiast fora all the time:

"I've wanted a Starship Motors XF2300 CGS4 ever since I was a kid and saw the one on Back to the Future. So I went down to the local Starship dealer and picked up a black XF2000 CG with auto-drive. I guess I really wanted a Gossamer Beige 2300 CGS4 manual when I went in, but I'm really starting to like the one I wound up with!"

Followed six months later by a post detailing the trade they worked on the Beige 2300 they'd really wanted all along, only losing 27,000 bucks in the deal.

Figure out exactly what you want, waltz down to the dealer and tell them to build it for you.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:23 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by abec
I would prefer not to custom order since I want to drive a car by Thanksgiving. See below example.
I am not sure what you are hoping for here. Nothing written in this thread is going to change your ability to find a car to drive by Thanksgiving. Either the dealers will have one on the lot you can settle for or you will need to order.

Ask yourself a year from now will you be more satisfied you had a car configured less than optimally but you could drive sooner or a car exactly like you want that you had to wait on?
Those are probably you two choices.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:39 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
There is generally no obvious rhyme nor reason as to how dealers order cars. I'm pretty convinced they hang sheets of paper on the wall that have all the options arrayed on them, and then throw darts at the sheets while blindfolded.

How else would a $160 plastic gas cap imitating aluminum ever get optioned on a sports car?

A $160 plastic gas cap that no one ever sees except you...for about two minutes when you are filling up...
Old 10-31-2017, 08:42 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane

A $160 plastic gas cap that no one ever sees except you...for about two minutes when you are filling up...
I have one. And I actually like it.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:59 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
I have one. And I actually like it.
I'd like it to, if it were $1.99. But at $160 not so much.

BTW, I have one on my current car, but I bought the car off the lot, so I didn't have a lot to say about it. I did not order it on my current GTS order.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:09 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This is very accurate! Definitely a must have to help avoid curb rash on your wheels...some of these drive throughs are designed to be an obstacle course!
Old 10-31-2017, 09:12 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts

I ordered a C4S without the sport package or RWS. I don't need them for a car that is used on back roads and occasional commuting. If you can discern RWS in a 4s in normal driving (not a racing circuit) you are an exceptional driver. Perhaps a professional. I don't need a farting exhaust either for 3k.
One can add a lot of options to the car like PSE, PDCC, RWS, etc. that add very little, IMO, to the feel of a 911 with a MT. I preferred to spend my money elswehere.

Quick Reply: 991.2 C4S builds missing Rear Axle Steering - Why?