Sponsored by:

Spoiler operation - differs in 991.2 vs. 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 09:57 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
It is in your manual. Page 170. This is pretty close for your 991.1 based on personal experience.

For the 991.2, the manual documentation is below (Page 223). It is not accurate based on personal observations. Mine goes up at 78 mph and goes down at 36 mph. This is based on 20+ observations. Others have posted that the spoiler goes up when the engine gets very hot. My personal opinion is that the 991.2 manual is a lazy cut and paste from the 991.1. manual and that is why it is not accurate.

Thanks! Seems they may have copy/pasted the info. I'll have to pay attention to mine as I hadn't noticed it before (I wasn't looking for it). Mine has a Vorsteiner CF lip so it is precisely the only part of the rear spoiler I can see when it's up.

BTW, on that subject, is it known or thought that those lips (a'la Vorsteiner) add any additional downforce, or purely cosmetic?
Old 10-30-2017, 10:11 PM
Pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

It depends on the MY as Porsche made a few tweaks to the 991.2 for MY2018. Although most of them were to the PCM, they also changed the speed as to when the spoiler deploys and retracts:
MY2018 - 90 km/h / 60 km/h, My2017 - 120 km/h / 80 km/h
Old 10-31-2017, 09:39 AM
caritch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2017 GTS 4. OM says:

Spoiler
Automatic mode

The rear spoiler automatically extends depending on the vehicle speed and the position of the slide/tilt sunroof when the speed exceeds approx. 56 mph (90 km/h) and retracts again when the speed drops below approx. 37 mph (60 km/h).

If automatic control fails, a warning message appears on the multifunction display.

It seems to go up earlier when in sport mode and driving in a spirited fashion.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Sorry for the bump of an old thread...

Was following a 991.2 GTS C2 Cab home tonight on a city street here in Houston. The spoiler went up at ~40mph and down again at a stop. I was surprised, as I though it only went up at highway speeds.

Hawt car. Mean sound with the PSE

sean
Old 01-16-2018, 01:51 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by caritch
I have a 2017 GTS 4. OM says:
It seems to go up earlier when in sport mode and driving in a spirited fashion.
And there's another aspect to this - in my 2017 C4S I have found that when I drive in a "non-spirited" fashion (warm weather and just burning up long miles in a road trip) I've actually noticed the spoiler up more (at lower than typical speeds) when I am in normal mode - according to the MFD the engine also runs a bit hotter in normal mode (again, non-spirited driving). I've never tried "spirited" driving in normal mode... but I've spent time highway cruising in all modes.

Anyway sounds like MY 2018 is a "spoilers up" year, huh? That should make some of us happy (those of us in the spoilers up! crowd, anyway).
Old 01-16-2018, 08:51 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

For those that like to keep the rear spoiler up at all times my manual for a 991.2 says, "When the rear spoiler is extended, the supply of air to the charge air cooler can be obstructed as foreign bodies can get trapped inside. > Never park the vehicle with the rear spoiler extended."
Old 01-28-2022, 12:13 AM
Stillen_i30
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DBH
For those that like to keep the rear spoiler up at all times my manual for a 991.2 says, "When the rear spoiler is extended, the supply of air to the charge air cooler can be obstructed as foreign bodies can get trapped inside. > Never park the vehicle with the rear spoiler extended."
Bringing back this old thread. Have looked at others where people are having issues with spoilers unintentionally staying UP. Mine is the opposite.

1.) Driving on "O" mode and I manually press the spoiler button to be in the UP position, and then move the car out of my garage. The spoiler stays in the UP position and then I drive above a very low speed (can't quite pinpoint a particular one...seems to vary every time I drive it) and the spoiler will randomly go down. The first few times I kept my eye on the switch and it stayed lit, thougt the problem went away, then mins later I look back down after a few stop signs/traffic lights and the spoiler is mysteriously back down again. I live in PHX and this is regardless of super hot weather or cool winter weather.

2.) I have "I" mode set to have the spoiler up and car in sport mode. If the spoiler is already down and I switch to "I" mode, it will mysteriously go back down again without me knowing when or why. Similar to above, various outdoor temps and driving speeds.

In both situations, if I see it went down automatically, if I manually raise it once again, it then stays up for the rest of the time, even when the car is parked and turned off...only to be turned on the next time, and either situation 1 or 2 applies. Anyone have any idea why this happens?

TIA
Old 01-30-2022, 02:14 PM
straka
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 68 Posts

Automatic mode
Depending on the vehicle speed and the position of the slide/tilt roof, the rear spoiler extends automatically at above approx. 75 mph (120 km/ h) and
retracts again below approx. 50 mph (80 km/h).

So does the open position of the slide/tilt sunroof make the spoiler open at a lower speed or a higher speed than with the slide/tilt sunroof closed?
Old 01-30-2022, 06:13 PM
Stillen_i30
5th Gear

Originally Posted by straka
Automatic mode
Depending on the vehicle speed and the position of the slide/tilt roof, the rear spoiler extends automatically at above approx. 75 mph (120 km/ h) and
retracts again below approx. 50 mph (80 km/h).

So does the open position of the slide/tilt sunroof make the spoiler open at a lower speed or a higher speed than with the slide/tilt sunroof closed?
Great thoughts...forgot to mention mine has no sunroof. I am probably the minority. It has been a while but I thought I read that the 991s without sunroof, with sunroof and targas all have differing spoiler behaviors due to their body design differences.

Just wanting to ensure no electronic issues are causing this to happen to mine...my car is nearly out of warranty and my dealer isn't the best at explaining or looking into electronic issues

Quick Reply: Spoiler operation - differs in 991.2 vs. 991.1