Sponsored by:

Back up camera 911.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Back up camera 911.1

Hello all, very new here. I'm am looking to buy a 911.1 to be a daily driver for my wife. It is her idea that has me very excited. She is coming out of a 2015 Mercedes S Class lease. The plan is to pay cash and be done with the $1700 monthly payments. I have tried the search function without success. So one quick question, to most likely be followed by more questions. Did the 991.1 come with a backup camera? In the online pictures, I'm seeing many show a diagram on the screen of an overhead profile of the car with what looks like sensors. I don't think this will be a deal breaker, but she really wants one. I drive a Jeep Rubican that I was able to get an aftermarket camera that interfaced with the OEM Nav screen. Are there any products like this for the 911?
Thanks for any help that you may have, sorry if this is common knowledge, I guess I'm not smart enough to figure it out with the search function.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:29 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

It was an option on the 991.1 cars...in later years more cars had it but I suspect few if any of the 2012.5/13 cars will. You can add a backup camera using NavTV and other similar kits to 2013 and later cars (for a 2012.5 car you actually have to crack the PCM open and solder yikes!). The bottom line is it's quite pricey either way (Well over $1k installed). It can be done as a DIY (members here have done a beautiful job).

Other options include the Pearl Rearvision backup camera (license plate based), Fensens (which is a radar backup license plate), or a traditional rearview camera with its own display mounted in the cabin.

Personally I am extremely happy with the Pearl Rearvision. I have a mount for my cell phone and as I approach the car the App gives me a notification; I swipe right and the camera is up by the time the car is started. The camera resolution and image quality (day and night) are vastly superior to the OEM Porsche unit; additionally the Rearvision gives you two warnings - one when you're 3 feet from an object and another when you're 1 foot away. It's solar powered. Wish it had the slick OEM integration but that's not worth $1k to me.

Cheers,
NF
Old 10-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

I went with the NavTV. Wanted the look of OEM. Didn't want another screen in the car or the "Aftermarket look". Although it has no audio warning, it does show 1,2,&3'.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:10 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Thank you for the help, I will be looking into the Pearl Rearvision, and the NavTV. I understand that the 911 doesn’t have a good place to still your cell phone. So mounting a docking station for her iPhone may be a good option with the pearl rear vision.
as I stated she is coming out of a 2015 Mercedes-Benz S class. And the 360 camera on that car is very much awesome. But she understands this is going to be a very different car, but that’s the whole point.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:16 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Thank you for the responses, I will be looking into the Pearl Rearvision, and the NavTV. As I said before, my wife is coming out of a 2015 Mercedes-Benz S class. She understands that the 911 will be a very different kind of car. But one thing she has really enjoyed is the 360° camera that comes with the S class. There’s always going to be a compromise, and this will be a minor one. I’ll be checking in here frequently to get a feel for the market and what people think about their cars. I’m 3 to 5 months out from making the actual purchase. So I have a bit of time to learn a lot.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:30 PM
NF4710
Pro

Big change from S class to 911! The 911 is far less comfortable but far more fun...just make sure your wife can live with the compromises involved.

Have seen the 360 MB camera in a friend's C-class and must agree it is nice. I normally don't think sports cars need backup cameras (since they are small and visibility is usually decent) however given the precious flat 6 hanging out behind the 991's rear axle I do appreciate having a backup camera to help. There are some threads here where relatively unimpressive impacts to the rear have resulted in enormous repair bills. The best combo is parking sensors and camera.

Cheers,
NF
Old 10-25-2017, 09:58 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

You probably don't need the backup as visibility out back is good. What you do want, and can't have, is a rear left-right camera so you can see backing out of spaces. The car is so low, virtually every other car (and every SUV) will block your view so backing out is initially a bit of an act of faith.

The screen you mention is the parking sensors. They are way too sensitive yet not very good at estimating distance and have a habit of going off driving down a narrow street. There is a green, yellow and red zone, with no intermediate bars, so red is simply red, with, for example, no difference between 6' and 1' from a wall. (While I'm venting, why do the fronts go off when I'm in reverse?)
Old 10-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the sensors and they are fantastic. I will answer your question. My car is in a tight garage. When I BACK OUT my front gets very close to the frame of the garage door. The FRONT sensors go off if I get too close. A great feature for me.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:54 PM
srleadjb
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I'am looking at. It does require some wiring but it has an OEM interface/look.

https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...81%2F991_.html
Old 10-25-2017, 01:40 PM
NF4710
Pro

Srleadjb that looks like a good unit. Just be sure you have a 2013 or newer car; the 2012.5's have an older PCM that can't be updated to the version 4 firmware. If I didn't have such a car I would go for this unit - it's a deal at that price!

Cheers,
NF
Old 10-25-2017, 01:40 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

This was my main worry with the car. I have a 3 car garage and the bay I park my 911 in has a very angled, cut-off driveway in front of it, and the car must be backed into the stall.

Honestly, on the day of delivery, they unloaded from the car carrier - I literally drove the car for the first time, in reverse, all the way into my garage with absolutely zero issue. I haven't owned a manual transmission car in 10 years, and between that / my awkward driveway, it was absolutely easy.

The rear visibility is excellent!
Old 10-25-2017, 01:54 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't know about the coupes but the cabs all have sensors from day one that beep but the camera became an option in 2013 with sensors standard.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:34 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK
You probably don't need the backup as visibility out back is good. What you do want, and can't have, is a rear left-right camera so you can see backing out of spaces. The car is so low, virtually every other car (and every SUV) will block your view so backing out is initially a bit of an act of faith.

The screen you mention is the parking sensors. They are way too sensitive yet not very good at estimating distance and have a habit of going off driving down a narrow street. There is a green, yellow and red zone, with no intermediate bars, so red is simply red, with, for example, no difference between 6' and 1' from a wall. (While I'm venting, why do the fronts go off when I'm in reverse?)
You meant 1" and 6" (inches, not feet). I'm quite happy with the parking sensors myself, the report graphic shapes itself to roughly reveal the "threat" shape so there is more information there than just red/green/yellow. It's a pretty good guess the lawyers had a call in providing a 1 foot safety margin, which seems to be about what it reports before the beeping tone goes full on and stops beeping.

The front sensors can go off when backing to warn you about something just to the front side of your nose when you are turning in, like a parked car's bumper when you are parallel parking and starting the swing the nose in. I've had this give me reasonable warning more than once. It senses things a bit more to the side than I would have expected.

Last edited by StormRune; 10-25-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:46 PM
OTM
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by srleadjb
This is what I'am looking at. It does require some wiring but it has an OEM interface/look.

https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...81%2F991_.html

Please let us know how it works out. Are you going to install yourself? Looks like a good deal. I've been thinking about adding reverse camera and this one seems like good price/function.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:05 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK

You sure as hell need it in a Cab!

Also, I find the parking sensors to be totally adequate. The only time they go off when I don't want is at a drive-through, but my Lexus did the same thing. Not sure what you mean by no difference between 6' and 1' from a wall, mine progress just fine and between the color and the tone frequency, you can tell how close you are no problem.

Quick Reply: Back up camera 911.1