Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Delamination - How to avoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 05:04 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 659 Posts

I was warned about the delamination, but I see it as the lessor of the two evils. I had mine done. Good thing i did. I track monthly. I was follwing a car and heard my car get sand blasted.

I live in an appartment building, so my car is in its own private lock up garage in the underground basement. As I appraoch, I push the button to raise the garage door, and then I unlock the car and the headlights come on.

The thing I don't like is, (Only when the lights are on) I can see pitts all over the lights. You can't see it when the lights are off. So obviously the PPF has taken the hit. The pits look like speckles of dust.

Again its only when the headlights are on. When the car is parked and lights off, you can't see it. It probably means I should replace the PPF, but its only been 1 year. On another note, my radiators are copping a flogging.

I'm not worrying about them now. I will replace them with the PWR ones , but at the same time, either replace the whole front bumper with a GT3 nose cone that has the mesh, ir get some custom mesh done. Either way, looking at the impacts to the radiators, its a good thng I did PPF. The paint is fine because of PPF. I do have two tiny little tears. Smaller than a match head, that flap up. Must have been some big rocks.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 AM
acalayag
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lucked out and my headlight was replaced under warranty. Dealer initially said no but gave in after I made a call to PNA. Btw, It was never covered with ppf.

Does anyone know the difference between Lamin-x and ppf? I think it’s vinyl. Is it easier and safer to remove?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:10 PM
Boxsterjbc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

I'm also in the bay area and dealing with this also. Dealership submitted paperwork for approval 3 weeks ago and still waiting for a response. Is your car under CPO warranty? And, if you wouldn't mind sharing what city dealership is located.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2019, 03:37 PM
acalayag
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxsterjbc
Hi,

I'm also in the bay area and dealing with this also. Dealership submitted paperwork for approval 3 weeks ago and still waiting for a response. Is your car under CPO warranty? And, if you wouldn't mind sharing what city dealership is located.

Thanks
Same thing happened to me. Dealership was doubtful saying it was due to tracking. Then I wrote PNA (on their website) and explained, if it was due to tracking, why was only one headlight delaminating. They in turn contacted Fremont. Yes, car is under CPO.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Boxsterjbc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by acalayag

Same thing happened to me. Dealership was doubtful saying it was due to tracking. Then I wrote PNA (on their website) and explained, if it was due to tracking, why was only one headlight delaminating. They in turn contacted Fremont. Yes, car is under CPO.
Thanks for the response!
Old 05-24-2019, 09:44 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxsterjbc
Thanks for the response!

It does happen, I had to have mine removed, small delam spot on one of the lights, had to sand, polish and reapply the film, I can’t tell were the spot was even though I was told where it happened. It’s all good, film is perfect. Hopefully no yellowing, lol. It’s a garage queen so I hope I will not have issues down the road.

Film was on about 1.5 yrs.

I guess it was gonna happen, I would rather do this again than look at pitted lights.

So so moral of the story is there is risk here but it is fixable.

Last edited by titan7; 05-25-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:50 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
It does happen, I had to have mine removed, small delam spot on one of the lights, had to sand, polish and reapply the film, I can’t tell were the spot was even though I was told where it happened. It’s all good, film is perfect. Hopefully no yellowing, lol. It’s a garage queen so I hope I will not have issues down the road.

Film was on about 1.5 yrs.

I guess it was gonna happen, I would rather do this again than look at pitted lights.

So so moral of the story is there is risk here but it is fixable.
Sad to say, our very first 991 delamination happened to your headlights titan7

however, I was very pleasantly surprised to see how easily it was able to be repaired. The area of delamination was a few cm and after careful sanding and polishing, we were able to just isolate that area to a near undetectable outcome.

even though you’d never know, I had to tell you as I know how much you love your car and how much you trust us.

I think it was worth it though considering how amazing the headlights look now after the custom ppf installation
Old 08-28-2019, 02:01 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Any recommendations to get them warranty replaced when ppf has been applied? Installer showed me before and I said go ahead with film install before reading this thread. I'm afraid dealer will say ppf caused it and film was just applied yesterday.

How should phrase this to dealer for best results?
Old 08-28-2019, 05:41 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dog
Any recommendations to get them warranty replaced when ppf has been applied? Installer showed me before and I said go ahead with film install before reading this thread. I'm afraid dealer will say ppf caused it and film was just applied yesterday.

How should phrase this to dealer for best results?
I'm confused, you had delaminated headlights and then installed PPF over them?
Old 08-28-2019, 06:14 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You are correct. Bought car on Friday. Car has warranty. Tookmit to PPF installer on Mon. He noted the very very small delimitation. Asked if I wanted to PPF over it as that may stop delamination. Outmof ignorance I agreed. Then read all these posts on how it's a known issue after lights were covered

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I'm confused, you had delaminated headlights and then installed PPF over them?
Old 08-28-2019, 10:13 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 744 Likes on 528 Posts

Remove the film, have the headlights polished and have reapplies. Problem solved.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:15 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Remove the film, have the headlights polished and have reapplies. Problem solved.
+1

Quick Reply: Headlight Delamination - How to avoid