Sponsored by:

Satin HRE’s

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 04:51 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Satin HRE’s

My P-101 HRE wheels are satin black and now have some milky white stains on them that I can’t get out. Nothing used on them but car soap. Very frustrating that this is happening. Have tried everything to remove but no luck.
Has anyone else experienced this? Thinking about having them powder coated again but doing satin black with a clear powder coat on top to protect them. Told it would make them a bit more shiny. Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 10-01-2017, 05:17 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

I feel your pain - see my post on calling all paint experts.

I would strongly suggest you get Dr. Beardsley's Matte Paint Cleaner - that should take off whatever is on there (don't use 50/50 distilled water/vinegar as it's most likely too aggressive for the finish - ask me how I know). You may need to apply the cleaner several times. Spray it on a MF towel once the wheels are clean and just gently - very gently- move the towel to keep the area moist for about 5 minutes. Then rinse off with water. After you use the cleaner follow-up with their coating, it's expensive but worth it.

Doing a clear on top will sort of defeat the purpose of the satin finish. See Ammo NYC video on BMW frozen paint. Essentially the base is regular paint but the satin element is in the clear (but can't be buffed or polished as you'll get high spots).

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Have the same issue on my HRE satin black wheels. Is that cleaner the best option.?
Old 10-02-2017, 07:01 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Penn, there are a number of Matte cleaners on the market, but when you start researching it - they appear to be the gold standard. I'm very impressed with what it did. You may need several applications of the cleaner - just be patient and font apply any pressure. The cleaner acts like a chemical clay bar.

After you clean it they also make a wheel sealant, which should give you some protection.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-02-2017, 07:03 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Penn, there are a number of Matte cleaners on the market, but when you start researching it - they appear to be the gold standard. I'm very impressed with what it did. You may need several applications of the cleaner - just be patient and don't apply any pressure. The cleaner acts like a chemical clay bar.

After you clean it they also make a wheel sealant, which should give you some protection.

Here's a link to the cleaner and wheel sealant:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2QLE77AGM83GJ
Good luck!
Old 10-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Thanks a lot BB. I ordered it, should have it tomorrow.

I have not tried clay baring the wheels I wonder if that will help.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:48 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Call HRE and see what they recommend. I believe they have a lifetime warranty on materials and 2 years on their finishes, so worse case you can send them in to be fixed.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:26 AM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

BB....Dr. Beardsley looks like good stuff. I ordered it as well. Would be great if it works! I did call HRE, sent pictures and they said they haven’t seen this before. They were very nice! They said I could send the wheels back to them, they would evaluate and decide if it was a defect. Said if not i’d Have to pay to have them redone. Would take about 2-4 weeks and the cost of shipping was more than just having them repowder coated here if I had to pay. The problem for me was, this is my DD and can’t be without the car for that long as well. Thanks again BB, we’ll see how it goes.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:56 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by GraSox
BB....Dr. Beardsley looks like good stuff. I ordered it as well. Would be great if it works! I did call HRE, sent pictures and they said they haven’t seen this before. They were very nice! They said I could send the wheels back to them, they would evaluate and decide if it was a defect. Said if not i’d Have to pay to have them redone. Would take about 2-4 weeks and the cost of shipping was more than just having them repowder coated here if I had to pay. The problem for me was, this is my DD and can’t be without the car for that long as well. Thanks again BB, we’ll see how it goes.
I guess you cant put your winter setup on.....................
Finish on my HRE is pretty good. The odd chip but thats it.
I hope Dr. works well for you. Let us know.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:57 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

go with satin black if you do get them redone. It holds up much better than matte. Matte turns chalky over time. And you can get a satin clearcoat on them for additional UV protection.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had mine Ceramic Pro coated. Does not make them shiny and makes cleaning much easier.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:26 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

I had mine coated with quartz finest, made cleaning break dust easier but still stained. I don’t have or need winter wheels.
Penn, sent you a PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Penn you DO NOT want to use a clay bar, that will put scratches in the finish. Dr Beardsley’s is in essence a chemical clay bar. You may need to do a few passes. Be patient, keep the area moist with solution for 5 min at a time - it will come off unless it’s etched in.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2017, 12:11 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by GraSox
I had mine coated with quartz finest, made cleaning break dust easier but still stained. I don’t have or need winter wheels.
Penn, sent you a PM.
Was joking about winter set up...Arizona.
Thats proof that ceramic coating doesnt do any more than wax isnt it? Not sure how often everyone cleans their wheels but mine are never difficult so not sure what "easier" means as thats what everyone says.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure about other stuff, but my Ceramic Pro coating has held up great for the past two years with no staining and easy clean up. This includes my calipers and I have tracked the car at Laguna Seca.

Quick Reply: Satin HRE’s