Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What MPG do you get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:28 AM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you guys for all the helpful comments!! Quite the range it looks like! After i finish with this tank where i am driving for fuel efficiency, i am going to drive in Sport/manual and see what i get. Im guessing it will be around 13mpg. Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2017, 11:05 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by clemsondds
Thank you guys for all the helpful comments!! Quite the range it looks like! After i finish with this tank where i am driving for fuel efficiency, i am going to drive in Sport/manual and see what i get. Im guessing it will be around 13mpg. Thanks again!
Have fun! It is going to take a long time to wipe the grin off your face. Cheers!
Old 10-07-2017, 11:38 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My 991.1 does at a steady 65mph, about 15 around town and 12 if I’m truly having fun. Average over its 23,000-mile life is 20mpg.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:46 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the really important question is where do you put your phone.....and dat is comin soon
Old 10-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Good to know that these wonder turbos and downsizing continue to have no measurable improvement on fuel economy. These are pretty much identical results to my .1

This whole let’s downsize the engine and add a turbo movement is a bunch of crap. Real world results are the same, if not worse, and cost, complexity and repairs are all up.

I’m not anti-turbo in any way. I have owned many and currently own one in my daily driver. It’s definitely a boon for low end torque. But as far as MPG, which is its whole raison d etre, time and again it’s been proven a fallacy. I read in one of the overseas mags that I think Renault (may be mistaken in the mfgr) is actually going back to larger displacement n/a engines for their everyday cars as progress in combustion technologies mean that they can achieve the same bench results with a simpler engine than with a turbo.

It’s a good thing the .2 drives well, because it sure hasn’t helped MPG.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
No, not trying to derail anything buddy. I bought my Porsche to have fun in it. The mpg in the car, the way I drive it, is abysmal, but I could care less as I bought the car for spirited driving, not to worry about mpg. IF I wanted to get good mpg, and drove the car to achieve that, then my goal of fun will not be achieved. And if the latter was the case I personally never would have bought a 911 to begin with. If you want to know my normal mpg it’s probably 15-16, so there you have it.

Lighten up a little, many times there are people who have an entirely different opinion on a thread subject than what was originally posed. Absolutely no attempt to derail, just posing a different point of view.
Nah, because there's always at least one of you in these threads with the smug "I didn't get a Porsche to get good MPG" attitude and it gets old and deserves to be called out. You yourself said that you don't care about the MPG. It's not like the thread was titled, "Check out my best lap around Laguna Seca" only to find out that it was about MPG. The thread is literally titled, "What MPG do you get?" and you clicked on it anyway to tell people that you don't care about MPG.

It's not helpful; it's annoying and it gets old. It actively discourages discussion about the topic because some people don't want to deal with ridicule. I mean, do you randomly visit cat forums and tell people that you've got a dog and don't care about cats just to give them a different point of view? Next time you see a thread about MPG feel free to ignore it. Everyone who owns a 911 already knows that it's a performance car that can be driven hard and gets poor MPG while doing so.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:31 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arcoril
Nah, because there's always at least one of you in these threads with the smug "I didn't get a Porsche to get good MPG" attitude and it gets old and deserves to be called out. You yourself said that you don't care about the MPG. It's not like the thread was titled, "Check out my best lap around Laguna Seca" only to find out that it was about MPG. The thread is literally titled, "What MPG do you get?" and you clicked on it anyway to tell people that you don't care about MPG.

It's not helpful; it's annoying and it gets old. It actively discourages discussion about the topic because some people don't want to deal with ridicule. I mean, do you randomly visit cat forums and tell people that you've got a dog and don't care about cats just to give them a different point of view? Next time you see a thread about MPG feel free to ignore it. Everyone who owns a 911 already knows that it's a performance car that can be driven hard and gets poor MPG while doing so.
’Nah’ what I said is correct, you need to lighten up. One thing I enjoy about this form is the levity found in most of the threads. And if you had bothered to read my response this morning you would have found out exactly the mpg I expect to receive in MY car. Lighten up, hope you can understand what that means. By the way, it is amusing that MANY threads on this forum have wisecracks embedded in them. This is is the first one I have been on in quite some time that had someone get their knickers in a knot as tightly as yours. Lighten up, please. It will make this forum a happier place. Thank you, and have just a SUPER day.

Last edited by flickroll; 10-07-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Originally Posted by flickroll
’Nah’ what I said is correct, you need to lighten up. One thing I enjoy about this form is the levity found in most of the threads. And if you had bothered to read my response this morning you would have found out exactly the mpg I expect to receive in MY car. Lighten up, hope you can understand what that means. By the way, it is amusing that MANY threads on this forum have wisecracks embedded in them. This is is the first one I have been on in quite some time that had someone get their kickers in a knot as tightly as yours. Lighten up, please. It will make this forum a happier place. Thank you, and have just a SUPER day.
Just giving you "an entirely different opinion", pal. Of all the people here I thought you'd be the most receptive of that. But point taken, you want to jump into this thread, stir the pot, and not have anyone point out how utterly pointless and ironic it is to jump into an MPG thread simply to point out how much you don't care about MPG. Next time my advice would be to either stay on topic or grow a thicker skin when someone has the audacity to disagree with you.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:01 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Just giving you "an entirely different opinion", pal. Of all the people here I thought you'd be the most receptive of that. But point taken, you want to jump into this thread, stir the pot, and not have anyone point out how utterly pointless and ironic it is to jump into an MPG thread simply to point out how much you don't care about MPG. Next time my advice would be to either stay on topic or grow a thicker skin when someone has the audacity to disagree with you.
Got it. You’re the kind of guy who just has to have the last word. You just did, not worth wasting my time responding to you.

Last edited by flickroll; 10-07-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Did 300 highway miles Thursday. Set cruise to 76 mph. 7th gear. In normal mode. Auto stop/start on. Made sure the wing didn't deploy. I averaged 31.4 mpgs when I parked in the garage at home. Tuesday and Wednesday, not so much. Amazing for a 430 HP car.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:13 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
Did 300 highway miles Thursday. Set cruise to 76 mph. 7th gear. In normal mode. Auto stop/start on. Made sure the wing didn't deploy. I averaged 31.4 mpgs when I parked in the garage at home. Tuesday and Wednesday, not so much. Amazing for a 430 HP car.
That is astonishing in a 911. I know I will never see that in my car, but fantastic nevertheless 😀
Old 10-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
I've tied you, but only on a short trip that was a slight net loss in elevation. Again, on a 991.1:

On longer trips I tend to settle in the upper 20s. I run comfort pressures in my tires so I'm sure that's having an effect.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:38 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

+1! Great post. I agree that when you see these type posts, it discourages you from wanting to start threads and post comments. It’s great to see that there are some p car owners out there who have some common sense.
Thank you for your post!

Old 10-07-2017, 03:51 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I don't have much to add to this thread since my experience is similar to what you've already heard above. But I do have just one thing to add:

I did a 4200 mile road-trip recently in my 2017 C4S. I was curious about MPG, so I tried some experiments each day. The best I saw was 29 in normal mode on mostly highway driving. I switched to sport mode for most of the road trip and I still easily saw 28 MPG. Each experiment covered at least a 500 mile segment.

In normal mode I also saw the oil temp readings go much higher (234F sustained) whereas in sport mode the highest was 219F - and this was in extreme 110F+ ambient temperatures (desert in SoCal). Since sport mode doesn't seem to seriously impact MPG, but mostly since the oil cooling is better, I run in sport mode all the time now.

Of course, like everyone else, around town as a daily driver (in endless traffic) I get about 18.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

All depends on how you drive. Here are two shots of the trip computer on my 991.2 C2 manual from the same day last spring:

the first one was my drive from Golden, CO to High Plains Raceway early Saturday morning, cruising on I-70 at around 75 mph, traffic permitting. In 7th gear, of course.

The second was what I got during my four sessions on the track during the HPDE.

Since buying the car almost exactly a year ago, I've averaged 26.7 mpg. But I don't have a day job so I'm rarely stuck in rush-hour traffic. I've also done a fair amount of long distance driving. My best tank aveage was 32.4 mpg according to the trip computer, while driving cross country. Not bad for a car capable of over 180 mph.

That tank was a true 31.6 mpg, based on miles and refill gallons. The Porsche trip computer is pretty accurate--averaging 0.8 percent optimistic over 7600 miles--which is better than most cars.

Even driving in town, you can get pretty good mileage if you emulate the shift schedule of the PDK in normal mode. If I'm really feeling lazy and mellow, I'll shift 1-3 at 3000 rpm and then 3-5 and 5-7 at 2000 rpm.

On the other hand hand, charging up Squaw Pass Road on the way to Mt. Evans, you want to always keep the engine aboe 4000 rpm.

So your mileage is largely in your hands. And the 991.2 does get better mileage than the 991.1. But only if you take advantage of the turbo motor's low-end torque and operate at lower rpm in everyday driving.

Quick Reply: What MPG do you get?