Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone care to critique my GTS order?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 09:33 PM
cdnewt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone care to critique my GTS order?

Hi all. I've had a number of great cars over the years. My love affair with sports cars started with a 1996 miata, and continued on to an RX-8, 997 Turbo, 458 Italia, 2013 Cayenne GTS, and currently an Audi R8 v10 Plus. But, I have a hankering for a flat six again, and this is what I've currently spec'd:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ6GGWY3

While I love the alcantara in the cayenne gts... I want to liven up the interior of my 911 GTS.

I got the idea of that particular combination from the Exclusive 911 Targa 4 GTS:

https://www.porsche.com/canada/en/ac...niqueness/911/

Anyways, any thoughts on this build? I realize there are a lot of options, and on sale, I won't get back what I'm putting into this, but I understand that going in and thats not the point of this build.

thanks!
Old 10-06-2017, 05:36 AM
v3nom
AutoX

My mate has the gts alcantara interior with carbon finish and it looks stunning
Old 10-06-2017, 10:20 AM
cdnewt
Track Day

To save everyone having to click the link and wait for the porsche site to render:

Exterior Colour White
Leather Interior in Black
Exterior Model Designation "911"
LED Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass
SportDesign Rear Spoiler Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
SportDesign Exterior Mirrors in Carbon Fiber Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Manual Transmission
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) incl. PASM Sport Suspension (20 mm Lower)
Front Axle Lift System
Rear Axle Steering
Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB)
20" 911 Turbo S Wheels
GT Sport Steering Wheel
Deletion of Alcantara®
Sport Seats Plus (4-way)
Seat Heating (Front)
Smoking Package
Fire Extinguisher
Interior Package Painted i.c.w. Leather Interior Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Climate Control Panel Painted Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Vehicle Key Painted and Key Pouch in Leather Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Instrument Dials in White Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Sport Chrono Clock Dial in White Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Seat Belts in Chalk Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Extended Leather Interior Package, Dashboard Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Extended Contrast Stitching Interior Package Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Seat Centres in Contrasting Leather Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Porsche Crest on Headrests Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Instrument Surround in Leather Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Steering Column Casing in Leather with Contrast Stitching Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Transmission Tunnel in Leather Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Air Vents in Leather Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Storage Compartment Lid with Model Logo Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Sports Seat Plus Backrests in Leather with Contrast Stitching Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Floor Mats with Leather Edging and Decorative Stitching Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Inner Door-Sill Guards in Leather with Contrast Stitching Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Seat Belt Outlet Trim in Leather Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Rear Center Tunnel in Leather with Decorative Stitching Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Sun Visors in Alcantara® Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Pedals and Footrest in Aluminum Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Colour Choice Leather/Decorative Stitchings
Color selection thread
BG - Chalk
Color selection leather
BG - Chalk
Old 10-06-2017, 10:33 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Tons of leather!!!

Sticking with the Manual transmission is always good. Might as well spring for the Carrara White, adds a nice shimmer.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:46 AM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks stunning, but maybe a bit pricey for a GTS. I wouldn't worry about it though as long as you don't care about recouping all of that money for the optional extras.
Are you sure about the PCCBs? The standard steelies are great if you won't be tracking the car all the time
Old 10-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

I'm sure it will turn out beautiful,....but that's a lot of $$$ to spend on a GTS and on a model series that is soon to be replaced within 12~18 months. I'd probably go right to the true "turbo/turbo S" if spending this amount of money.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:05 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I like how you are going for the black&white contrast.

With the little black buttons it looks really busy like a microwave oven, so I'm not so sure I'd select: Climate Control Panel Painted

It's such a tiny bit of leather so I'm not sure you'll ever even notice: Instrument Surround in Leather

I didn't know you could select both Inner Door-Sill Guards in Leather with Contrast Stitching as well as Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber. Doing them in leather isn't worth it - I have this option and they do take a bit of wear and tear. I wish I had Door-Sill Guards in Stainless Steel.

If you are going to keep that white paint job clean every day, the car looks like it sits a bit lower when you opt for: Side Skirts Painted

I wouldn't leave these out if you are doing some driving at night time: Auto-Dimming Mirrors

I also really like: Lane Change Assist (LCA)

I find that I toss stuff (phone chargers, etc.) in the free: Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell

I'm not sure what country you are in, but in the USA the sun visors come with ugly airbag warning stickers. It costs a bit more, but you can order replacements from Suncoast without the stickers and not bother with putting these on your original order: Sun Visors in Alcantara®
Old 10-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a very highly optioned C4S with lots of leather like yours and enjoyed every minute of it. It did depreciate quite a bit but it also had a lot of interest and sold quickly when I decided it was time. I would do it again, and may on the 992.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:15 PM
cdnewt
Track Day

It is a lot of money, but I configured it to be a 'special' place to be in.

I've done the 911 turbo thing before... and this time I actually don't want the turbo, for a few reasons. And some of these actually apply to the GT3 as well.

My current r8 v10 Plus has 610 hp, 9k RPM redline. But, I find that I don't ever get to use that power, and rarely even get to wind it out... maybe 1st gear, but never second and beyond. It's just tooooo fast for the roads. I feel the GT3 would be similar. epic fun when you can use it, but not really something you can tap into very often.

the spec of the GTS is it's draw to me. It has classic 911 lines, unspoiled by vents, intakes, and large wings.... RWD, pretty light, 450 hp, and a 7500 rpm redline, means I likely can find this thing out a bit more.

also, compared to the 911 turbo, there are a lot of things that car makes me get that I dont want:
- don't want AWD
- don't like the body kit on the turbo, with all the cuts, vents, and side intakes.
- don't want the rear spoiler
- don't want PDK...
- don't want the weight
- don't want the epic power. again, -too- fast. I never really understood those comments I'd see from people about a car being 'too fast for the road'. but I do now.

as configured, my GTS has all the perf bits I'd want, but a bit less HP than the full fat turbo, but RWD and a manual tranny the "way it should be"

anyways, maybe I'm nuts? hehe.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:27 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Black/Bordeaux Red is, IMO, the only, off the shelf, color available to provide bold, almost aggressive, excitement to the interior. It seems to be a popular choice among those selecting white exterior, if that's important.

Painting the interior trim white is, kind of, cutesy; but, not much else. It strikes me as an add-on struggling to make an otherwise drab interior interesting. I'd leave it the standard aluminum color. Did you know you can have the interior trim painted a color other than the exterior color? Porsche Exclusive.That's a way to add fun to a black interior.

Lots of stuff on that car!
Old 10-06-2017, 02:57 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
The Black/Bordeaux Red is, IMO, the only, off the shelf, color available to provide bold, almost aggressive, excitement to the interior. It seems to be a popular choice among those selecting white exterior, if that's important.

Painting the interior trim white is, kind of, cutesy; but, not much else. It strikes me as an add-on struggling to make an otherwise drab interior interesting. I'd leave it the standard aluminum color. Did you know you can have the interior trim painted a color other than the exterior color? Porsche Exclusive.That's a way to add fun to a black interior.

Lots of stuff on that car!
I disagree, I had the black/bordeaux on my GT Silver, and as the bordeaux is a darker red burgundy colour I found it didn't pop as much as a brighter red would have. I much prefer the Carmine Red GTS Alacantara package in my Targa GTS, but some don't like Alacantara, so if full leather is the only option, I guess it is Black/bordeaux.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:33 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapture1
I had a very highly optioned C4S with lots of leather like yours and enjoyed every minute of it. It did depreciate quite a bit but it also had a lot of interest and sold quickly when I decided it was time. I would do it again, and may on the 992.
Approximately what percent depreciation after how many years?
Old 10-06-2017, 05:51 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I appreciate the reasoning not going Turbo. Short of a lot $$, car is going to look great. A GTS is as fast you ever need and I like the lines and simple look better than Turbo as well. MT and RWD are very important to me too that is why GTS is a great choice
Old 10-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewt
My current r8 v10 Plus has 610 hp, 9k RPM redline. But, I find that I don't ever get to use that power, and rarely even get to wind it out... maybe 1st gear, but never second and beyond. It's just tooooo fast for the roads.

Just curious.

Is the tranny on the Audi R8 as "clunky" as all of the sports car media says it is?

Randy Probst says that it totally detracts from the car in a recent test of a 2017 Audi R8 V10.

Not as well sorted as a PDK... it upshifts when you lift on a straight. Never seems to be in the right gear, according to Probst.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:45 PM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At that price point I would add the 18way seats and premium plus package. It will save you a couple of bucks on some options and the 18way is more versatile than 4 way even though they have similar general fit.

With that much deviated stiching I would look into leather to sample. Better leather at same cost given all the extra deviated stiching you're doing.

Looks great. I personally love the black brushed aluminum in GTS. I'd take that over painted interior package.

Quick Reply: anyone care to critique my GTS order?