Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling System Fault Message

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 04:28 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Do you guys know where the COV is for the coolant?

I have this issue as well but my warning light turned red! Turned the heater and wasn’t blowing hot air either.

I only see the vacuum lines to PSE. After I pulled and installed the PSE vacuum lines again, it seemed to go away but I’m thinking it some how wiggled a vacuum line to the COV somewhat back in place but need to find it to be sure.

The other variable is that this was after I installed sport cats and had to pull my PSE muffler along with their vacuum hose. But I specifically remember making sure to plug them securely in place. Also the test drive right afterwards was fine until this morning. I’m not sure if it matters much but I noticed I didn’t secure the passenger side PSE vacuum hose on one of the small brackets. I then snapped it back in place. Again, not sure how this would affect anything as the hoses seemed to be pretty secure (took a bit of force to pull it back off).

And lastly I checked the coolant and was at max level. Would just taking the reservoir cap off release any air?
Old 11-23-2020, 08:13 AM
Kurtis370gen2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtis370
Been following this thread a while. Also having the same issue, although the COVs, vacuum pipes and breather pipes have all been replaced. Going in for an inspection with RPM Technik Thursday and will report back
Went to RPM and they did a vacuum test and found the coolant and vacuum is running without any issues so unfortunately not quite sure what the issue is. They are currently in contact with Porsche Technical to gather knowledge on what might be causing the light to come on and will be investigation further when my car is next in. Will post an update asap.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:20 AM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtis370gen2
Went to RPM and they did a vacuum test and found the coolant and vacuum is running without any issues so unfortunately not quite sure what the issue is. They are currently in contact with Porsche Technical to gather knowledge on what might be causing the light to come on and will be investigation further when my car is next in. Will post an update asap.
do you know for sure if they went through the steps to actuate each valve? They cant just test it while car isn’t running. If they have a decent enough diagnostic tool, there is a feature where you can go through this test. My foxwell nt530 had this feature, although my issue was apparent (water pump leak). If you have PSE, also possible the diagram in the valves may be leaking, which you can’t see but should be able to hear it during the test (in vacuum, again using the diagnostic tool).

Last edited by Purekoryo; 11-23-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:47 AM
Kurtis370gen2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
do you know for sure if they went through the steps to actuate each valve? They cant just test it while car isn’t running. If they have a decent enough diagnostic tool, there is a feature where you can go through this test. My foxwell nt530 had this feature, although my issue was apparent (water pump leak). If you have PSE, also possible the diagram in the valves may be leaking, which you can’t see but should be able to hear it during the test (in vacuum, again using the diagnostic tool).
I don't know for sure, but they had the car in for a couple of days so I'm sure they did. All eight valves have been replaced too so you'd imagine it's all good. I have seen about the water pump being the cause on other forums but not sure if that's the case for me yet. I also don't have PSE. Thanks for your prompt response and knowledge too.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:46 PM
jskenefick
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a coolant system fault message. All COV were checked and one was replaced. During the test drive, the fault returned, They ended up replacing the vacuum pump, one of the COV and a Switch Over Valve
Old 01-18-2021, 02:20 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Question: if you interrogate this with an OBD2 reader will it give you more info on which valve?
Old 01-18-2021, 02:23 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Question: if you interrogate this with an OBD2 reader will it give you more info on which valve?
Unfortunately not, which is what makes this tricky to diagnose in some cases
Old 01-18-2021, 03:04 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Unfortunately not, which is what makes this tricky to diagnose in some cases
Yep, pull the wing and hope the detached vacuum line or bad COV is one of the more obvious ones.

Porsche really did a number on the vacuum system. Such a rats nest of loosely attached vacuum lines.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:38 PM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 191 Posts

I’ve been following this thread.

Can the vaccum hose be taped to prevent it from popping out again? My exhaust COV hose came loose & I would like to find a permanent fix.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:42 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roswell88
I’ve been following this thread.

Can the vaccum hose be taped to prevent it from popping out again? My exhaust COV hose came loose & I would like to find a permanent fix.
Where did it pop off? If by the muffler you can replace the one time use clamps with a fuel injection clamps

If it popped off by the solenoid you could replace the hard plastic slip fitting lines they use with rubber vacuum line and barbed fittings.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:00 PM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Where did it pop off? If by the muffler you can replace the one time use clamps with a fuel injection clamps

If it popped off by the solenoid you could replace the hard plastic slip fitting lines they use with rubber vacuum line and barbed fittings.
Here is the picture I got from the shop, what you think?

Old 01-18-2021, 06:01 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Small hose clamp that my 964 hoses seem to be littered with??
Old 01-18-2021, 06:10 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roswell88
Here is the picture I got from the shop, what you think?

Yea thats the in engine bay lines. You could replace those hard clear stuff that slips inside those rubber fittings with just a rubber line that goes over the barbs which is much more secure.
The following users liked this post:
Roswell88 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 06:58 PM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Yea thats the in engine bay lines. You could replace those hard clear stuff that slips inside those rubber fittings with just a rubber line that goes over the barbs which is much more secure.
Thx for the advice 🙏

It’s such a bad design, I was shocked to see this on such high end cars.
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 08:28 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Well I am very happy to report that the Foxwell tool tests each COV for you. I bought the NT530 and it just arrived today. Under the Active Test section you can select each valve for testing and it returns either 100% or 0% for functioning or not. Haven't had a chance to test the 991 yet but tested another car and it worked flawlessly. You can hear the valve clicking open and shut. Hope this makes it easier for others to also test without having to go down a rabbit hole of replacement / exploration.

Quick Reply: Cooling System Fault Message