Sponsored by:

Windscreen replacement - faulty work

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 07:19 PM
7and911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen replacement - faulty work

Had a crack in my 991.1 windscreen and needed a windscreen replacement. When I went to pick the car I found the chassis number sticker (on the dashboard behind the lower edge of the windscreen) was damaged.

A new chassis number sticker needs to be ordered and the windscreen needs to be removed.

The Glass company said they are going to use the same windscreen again.

I am concerned using the same windscreen may not be a good idea. Would removing the windscreen affect its integrity or its seal? I wonder if anyone has experience please.

Thank you
Old 10-05-2017, 03:33 AM
Glassy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The simple answer is no as a windscreen can be removed and refitted. That said, whether or not the installer can remove the windscreen without damaging it, or the car is another matter entirely.

What can go wrong:

- the extrusion (underglass trim around the edge) is stuck down (with double sided tape) when the bead is compressed; removing the windscreen will destroy the existing tape so this issue will need to be accounted for;

- damage to the antenna tabs can occur when either the screen is cut out or when the cured adhesive is cut back. Check functionality before and after of the radio (all frequencies) as well as the GPS if the car has it;

- dependent on what method is used (or the experience of the fitter) the paint can be damaged. Be sure to inspect the pain *the moment* the glass is lifted off the car. On this note do not settle for black primer touch ups (black primer is an adhesion promoter, *not* a rust inhibitor nor is it adequate to restore the integrity of perforated paint)

- check all trim, especially around the mirror assy and the leading edge of the dashboard.

The fact that the chassis number was damaged in the first instance is a worry.

Fingers crossed all will end well. I'm a phone call away if you need to discuss.

07974 216953

Paul
Old 10-05-2017, 05:14 PM
7and911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Paul.

I have no idea how they managed to damage the chassis number. It was Autoglass (at their depot). They asked me to wait in the customer viewing area which is quiet a distance so I couldn't really see well what was going on. But may be next time I should try to have a closer look.

Originally Posted by Glassy
- dependent on what method is used (or the experience of the fitter) the paint can be damaged. Be sure to inspect the pain *the moment* the glass is lifted off the car. On this note do not settle for black primer touch ups (black primer is an adhesion promoter, *not* a rust inhibitor nor is it adequate to restore the integrity of perforated paint)
If there is a paint damage, would touch paint do the job?

Thank you
Old 10-05-2017, 05:17 PM
Glassy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7and911

If there is a paint damage, would touch paint do the job?

Thank you
If it's a small area, yes. Scratches would need closer inspection.

Quick Reply: Windscreen replacement - faulty work