Sponsored by:

Thinking of making a change

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts
Default Thinking of making a change

I have had my 4S going on 4 years now. The car has been flawless and it is a dream to drive. Has only 30K on the speedo and I have made it somewhat special to me.

Here is what I am thinking. This is the longest I have kept a Pcar and I am happier for that as I have gotten to know the car well.

I am ready to do the 40K service and most likely will add a little more carbon and possibly new wheels end of this year or next.

While debating this I said should I be looking at another car before I spend money I won't get back. I don't have interest in the new 991.2 and nothing bad to to say about it and the only car that is checking the boxes is a Turbo S 991.1 generation.

I was at a dealer and looked at both a 2014 and 2015 low mileage Turbo S. I am a wide body/AWD fan coming from 4 previous Porsche TT cars before moving into the 4S. I would lose the MT trans but the Turbo S is a stunning car with mind blowing performance and I have only real fond memories of the previous TT's I had. All awesome cars.

Thinking it through, will see once I complete a few test drives. Any thoughts?
Old 10-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Test drive and go from there. If lots more power is what you seek, then the answer is clear, Turbo S.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:46 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Keep your car for one or two or three more years. Then pick up a lightly used manual trans 991.2 GT3.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:05 PM
teambell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Penn4S - I have watched and followed your build across two forums, you have been very thoughtful about your personalizations, kudos! I am also in a 4S, but stock. I have not been a previous owner of a turbo model, but do know that for me the next vehicle will be a 991.1 GTS and then done for many years... Can't wait to see what you do! (I want dibs on your exhaust!)
Old 10-02-2017, 02:09 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

What would you do with faster?
Old 10-02-2017, 02:16 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by teambell
Penn4S - I have watched and followed your build across two forums, you have been very thoughtful about your personalizations, kudos! I am also in a 4S, but stock. I have not been a previous owner of a turbo model, but do know that for me the next vehicle will be a 991.1 GTS and then done for many years... Can't wait to see what you do! (I want dibs on your exhaust!)
Thank you for the comps. The car is driving and looking awesome at this time that is definitely the hard part.

i too would also go with a 991.1 GTS MT if I can find one that is perfect. If I'm going to go turbo I'm going all the way.

I will most likely be selling the Kline. I'll let you know I'm not at the alter yet.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:40 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Add headers and IPD plenum.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:53 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

4S as I've said before, I've seen and heard your car, and not only is it stunning but the sound is epic.

Just a few thoughts. Aesthetically and on paper the Turbo is in very rare company. However, I think the fun element of our cars is what they can do in the turns and in braking. Going fast in a straight line is fun, don't get me wrong, but after a few 0-60 runs at 2.5 seconds, what's next? The sound of the Turbo with a "T" is not bad at all and there are plenty of after market options, but what about giving up your manual?

I just went through that and am now back in a manual which I love.

I guess what I'm saying is you're about to make three major changes:

1) Transmission

2) Sound

3) Ridiculous Speed

The question is are 1 and 2 worth 3? I'm not sure about that (no math pun intended).

As a PS, I've had a 911 cab, 2 coups and now a Targa. On paper, I never saw the benefit of a Targa, now that I own one, I can't stop driving it.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2017, 02:55 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Would you miss MT? The Turbos power can't really be used unless you are tracking can it? I agree with above.....GTS MT.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Kor
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, I think if I got bored with a 991 4S I would probably not find enough difference or excitement in another 991 to make me feel really incredible inside... even the Turbo.

I had this problem when I had the original 06 Cayman for a few years then started looking at 997's. Yeah it was better, an upgrade, but not "mind blowing". I wasn't feeling enough "impact" with the upgrade until the 991 came out. The interior was too similar, a lot of shared parts inside and out, etc.

If you truly need a change I would probably recommend a non-Porsche (gasp!) just because there is something you can't replace when the car feels totally new to you inside and out.

Even though I always come back to Porsche ownership there are many other cars I've owned that I have no regrets about, I enjoyed them for their own unique reasons. If you have the means to buy a Turbo you have a lot of cars you can access and missing out on them would be a shame.

That being said, I personally usually drive a car bone-stock for a couple years then do a big wheels/suspension upgrade to help freshen things up... maybe your original plan would make you happy!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Lot of great input as usual that is why I am struggling with the decision. A couple of things though from experience.

First is my 12th or 13th Pcar so I am obviously sold on the brand, its quality and the fact you can drive them every day without issue. I am not an F or L car guy and even though the Astons are beautiful I want to stay with the Germans.

Second I had 4 previous TT's and never felt hindered in the twisties as the awd and wide stance made back road driving at a blistering pace not only possible but enjoyable.

As far as the interior I am not looking for a "living room" type environment and am perfectly happy with my 4S and all of the Turbos S's I have seen are far better.

As far as speed its hard to argue with 0-60 times in 2.6 - 2.8 range, deployable front and rear spoilers and possible rear wheel steering.

Sound is not an issue for me. I had 3 Europipe exhausts in my previous Turbos and the exhaust quality and sound were amazing.

The big issue for me is whether I am ready to leave a manual. All 4 previous TT's were MT. So this I will have to overcome or stick with mine. Some seat time will tell me if it will work.

I'll let you know how the drive goes.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:50 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Good luck - having a little more background on the number of P cars you've owned, I would say go for it- what's to lose? It's all about experiences and this won't be your last 911. It'll be different and fun - but perhaps what you're looking for from a comfort/visceral standpoint.

Getting it slightly used is the way to go- you can drive it for a year and even if you don't like it, the depreciation hit should be minimal.

12+ is impressive!
Old 10-02-2017, 05:05 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

0-60 in 2.6-2.8 almost can’t happen with a manual, this gearing, and today’s tech. PDK is a part of the speed. It is sadly less involving but also clearly better performing. Different priorities rather than a simple better/worse option.

If you don’t fall in love with the turbo (I love mine) you might either try to get a 991.2 GT3 MT or to keep the current 911 and add an Aston V8 Vantage (cheap and pretty to hear and look at) to try something new without any real risk. And if it doesn’t turn out, either way you could sell and move on without a huge loss.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,780 Likes on 4,774 Posts

911R

Old 10-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

I had owned 4 911s and a Boxster S when I decided to order a '15TT, figuring I would "get used" to the PDK. I didn't and it cost me a lot of money to go back to a MT, first in a Boxster GTS (which my wife thought was too small) and now my Targa.

If the money isn't a big deal if and when you change your mind, then the TT/TTS are very fast machines and fun to play with. But I wouldn't do it (the PDK) again.

Quick Reply: Thinking of making a change