Sponsored by:

S6+Boxster or C4S Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 05:31 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_and
Last time I seriously looked was at the end of 2015. The Chevy dealership I visited had over a dozen sitting in their show room, it was pretty cool to see. The first thing that caused me to look more carefully was when I sat in the passenger side of one of them and the door didn't close without slamming it. Once I looked at each and everyone one of them, I knew it wasn't for me. Before I bought my 2SS Camaro late last year, I took another look at the Corvette. Since that particular lot only had about 5 available, it was tougher to see the inconsistencies but they are still there. I bought the Camaro because it has the same performance as the Corvette, it's $30k+ less expensive, and its body panels lined up a little better. The Camaro is basically a Corvette just not as attractive. I also no longer have the Camaro if that says anything.
Makes sense. What do you drive now by the way?
Old 10-02-2017, 06:13 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

If we're talking about american cars... the 5.0 GT mustang is a huge value, a great performer and a great looking car.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by amelen
Makes sense. What do you drive now by the way?
I have my 991.1 C4S for weekends and a GTI for DD. I'd take the GTI over the Camaro any day. The gearbox is more crisp and it's a lot more engaging. The only thing that annoys me with the GTI is the 1-2 shift, the revs drop way too slowly but other than that, it is superior to the Camaro from a quality and fun perspective. My wife has an X3 with a better build quality than the Camaro, we have a 986 Boxster to start DE/autocross that has better build quality than the Camaro, and I have an old 3/4 ton truck I am restoring which will ultimately be built better than the Camaro. As you can see, I don't think too highly of the Camaro/Corvette quality.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:41 PM
amelen
Pro

Originally Posted by R_Rated
If we're talking about american cars... the 5.0 GT mustang is a huge value, a great performer and a great looking car.

For sure. As a 3rd car, I'd want a 2-seater convertible though. I know quality isn't the same, but at $50k, a 1-year old Corvette Stingray with a decent set of options is a steal for ~$50k. Ie:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=180351988

I still don't love the idea of having 3 cars though, just more headaches, more things to maintain... hmm.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:42 PM
amelen
Pro

Originally Posted by Capt_and
I have my 991.1 C4S for weekends and a GTI for DD. I'd take the GTI over the Camaro any day. The gearbox is more crisp and it's a lot more engaging. The only thing that annoys me with the GTI is the 1-2 shift, the revs drop way too slowly but other than that, it is superior to the Camaro from a quality and fun perspective. My wife has an X3 with a better build quality than the Camaro, we have a 986 Boxster to start DE/autocross that has better build quality than the Camaro, and I have an old 3/4 ton truck I am restoring which will ultimately be built better than the Camaro. As you can see, I don't think too highly of the Camaro/Corvette quality.
I had a GTI for a few years, great car. I traded it in for a BMW 135i, but that was terrible as a DD in the winter.

Any regrets/issues with having extra cars that you only use on the weekends? What was the reservation in just using the C4S as a DD?
Old 10-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't DD the C4S because it stands out too much. In certain areas, they are a dime a dozen but where I live, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Even in certain parts of Houston or Dallas it sticks out and I find myself having conversations about the car when I really don't have the time to. Or course, I don't want to be "that guy" in the bright blue Porsche that is too good to talk to people so I wind up spending time talking to people at the most inopportune times. I wanted something inconito and reliable so the GTI filled that spot. I wouldn't get a 911 for the backseats unless your kids are very little. My mom at 5' 0" has a hard time back there. For a fun 2 seater convertible, you can't go wrong with the Boxster. It is the most fun car in the stable. Mid-engine, small, and nimble makes for a much better experience than the Corvette.

Too many cars? No such thing, the limiting factor and space, and money. Maintenance isn't much more with more cars since the mileage is divided. Just as an example, I drive about 25k miles a year so instead of getting maintenance done 5 times for one car, it's split up between multiple cars. In real life, one of your cars might get to one year before the mileage milestone is hit so you'll have to do the annual maintenance but it's still less than just taking the maintenance cost per car and multiplying it by the number of cars. Insurance isn't bad, it's nice to have the two older vehicles ('87 3/4 ton truck and the '99 Boxster) since they are so cheap to insure. The only regret is space... We don't have enough garage space so the house tends to look a bit junky with three cars parked out front. I'll park the truck at work but cars in the driveway makes the house look cluttered. Even though people driving by our house can't really see the house or driveway, it's still a little eyesore for me. But, I can't really think of a car I would ever want to get rid of... Worst case, probably my wife's X3

Get the Boxster. What year (as long as it's 981 or older), configuration, engine, etc doesn't matter, it's one of the most enjoyable cars I've driven. My '99 986 puts a smile on my face every time. If it were me, I'd get a 981 or older Boxster. You won't need a lot of options when the top is down and the engine is roaring. The engine plays a huge role in the fun, the new turbo 4 car cylinder enginer properly ruins that fun for me.

Quick Reply: S6+Boxster or C4S Cab?