Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From AWE, to FVD and FINALLY TUBI, the Exhaust Search is Finally Over

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 10:58 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Yeah I'll second and third - please don't buy a catback thinking it'll give you power gains. Gains, if there are any, would be in removing the cat.

Akrapovic being super light could help you shed a few pounds and possibly go faster but I feel like I could lose some weight myself before that gets to be relevant.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
headers = power

catback = sound
Yup.

Unless you're talking about a Volvo.

You know, if Volvo re-released the P2 V70 R with their modern infotainment, I'd totally buy it with the 6MT. I really miss that car. My first experience with substantial mods (and even then it was pretty mild compared to yours).
Old 10-01-2017, 12:31 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Yup.

Unless you're talking about a Volvo.

You know, if Volvo re-released the P2 V70 R with their modern infotainment, I'd totally buy it with the 6MT. I really miss that car. My first experience with substantial mods (and even then it was pretty mild compared to yours).
I still miss that car. My ex wife "won" it in the divorce and let it get repoed. It sold at auction for 11K and then by the dealer that bought it for 21K... The wheels were 10K and another 30K in the engine.... 25K in stereo....

By the way - you keep saying you want slightly more than PSE - Fister may be ideal for you. Really fister + 200 Cats/headers and you'll get the sound and a little more power.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:21 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Yeah I'll second and third - please don't buy a catback thinking it'll give you power gains. Gains, if there are any, would be in removing the cat.

Akrapovic being super light could help you shed a few pounds and possibly go faster but I feel like I could lose some weight myself before that gets to be relevant.
I will offer my $0.02 I learned from lots of research and not wanting to go through the hassles of the OP. If you're looking for awesome sound that is in the vein of OEM+ first narrow your selection to TUV approved exhausts. The european standard is a good one and will guarantee your exhaust isn't crazy because they won't allow it. Second, from those I would say Tubi or Akra all the way. Is Akra expensive, yes. Is it absolutely awesome and has it transformed my car to exactly where I want it? yup! just under 20 lbs weight saved and I can definitely tell a difference even in street driving. Performance gain is a little but minimal and not why I would do the upgrade. Sadly, sound clips are always hard to record so best bet is to try and find someone local before you buy.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:50 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
I will offer my $0.02 I learned from lots of research and not wanting to go through the hassles of the OP. If you're looking for awesome sound that is in the vein of OEM+ first narrow your selection to TUV approved exhausts. The european standard is a good one and will guarantee your exhaust isn't crazy because they won't allow it. Second, from those I would say Tubi or Akra all the way. Is Akra expensive, yes. Is it absolutely awesome and has it transformed my car to exactly where I want it? yup! just under 20 lbs weight saved and I can definitely tell a difference even in street driving. Performance gain is a little but minimal and not why I would do the upgrade. Sadly, sound clips are always hard to record so best bet is to try and find someone local before you buy.
ipe doesn't get a lot of love but the quality is up there with tubi and akra.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:49 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Agreed

My favorite is Akra and Tubi.

On my incoming 991.2 GTS, I went Akra slip on. Also have a set of cat bypass pipes to play with.
Only video I've seen of this combo, shoots flames.

Back to the point of this thread and the OP....
CONGRATS on a great TUBI system!!
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2017, 08:56 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Great write up. Any pics?

I'm looking for an exhaust that's about 1/2 way between PSE on and PSE off in normal mode, and slightly louder with PSE On / Sport. Many of these systems retain the stock side mufflers and delete the rear can. I don't want it that loud when open. Would you say the TubiStyle delivers?
found this!

Old 10-02-2017, 09:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,550 Likes on 5,070 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
ipe doesn't get a lot of love but the quality is up there with tubi and akra.
No, it is not.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:28 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No, it is not.
For whatever reason - IPE has been copied a lot. People that bought a system for "a good deal" had problems but authentic parts have amazing quality.

http://www.ipe-f1.com.tw/index.php/e...article&id=226
Old 10-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, so after a 400 mile road trip, I can safely say that the Tubi is extremely livable. It is basically stock when cruising at low rpm. Apply throttle to 3000 rpm and you can hear it wake up a little more than stock, at 3,700 rpm it makes a really great flat 6 growth, 6,500 rpm and it sings. In terms of the actual sound of the exhaust, I do like FVD better, it is smoother and more exotic. However, it is simply way too loud at low rpms and has way too many over run snap crackle and pops. If you like a lot of attention, get the FVD. The Tubi sound level is much more linear, the higher the rpms, the louder it gets. Fantastic.

Other Considerations:

Headers: I didn't want to do headers because I read that it can be loud, I didn't want loud, just more refined. Would it make more power? Sure, a little, but I don't need more power. Out of every body in this group, few actually need more power. Sure, it's great for bragging rights but it's a 911... Plus, the Porsche engineers seem pretty meticulous in matching power/weight/suspension/aero with each configuration, I didn't want to mess up the balance. It's not like BMW where the M2 CS has the M3 S55 engine thrown into the exact same car.

Kline Inconel: I actually was leaning Kline but shied away since some have also reported that it is a bit on the louder side. Based on the videos, it sound amazing with the high pitch flat 6 scream, but I have learned the hard way that videos don't mean squat so take that with a grain of salt. It's also a lot more money than any of the other options with a longer lead time.

IPE: Love the high pitched sound (based solely on videos) but did not like how loud the system seems. They seemed very proud of how loud it is, which to me, translates to really really loud.

Akrapovic: This was considered very briefly but I really balked at the cost. I like the build quality and materials but this upgrade is just for the sound but find it to be a bit of a waste to get an exhaust system that is gorgeous (even though I just spent a bunch on a gorgeous exhaust) because it will be hidden. If I could get the same exact exhaust that was just as durable but ugly as sin and save some money in the process, please give me the ugly one.

Here is ultimately what I learned and hopefully this will help someone save some money down the line.
1. If you want a bi-polar, Jekyll and Hyde, exhaust, go with the X-Pipe or center muffler delete. With valves closes, the exhaust is routed through the side mufflers (longer distance for air/sound to travel through the extra piping plus muffler) and thus, the sound level is relatively low. Valve opens and all hell breaks loose. The exhaust gasses travel straight through and is very loud. It's like having a radio that has its volume **** stuck on quiet and super loud.
2. If you want loud all the time, delete the side mufflers. This way, the exhaust gasses never have a chance to travel the extra distance and go through extra mufflers. Everything is channeled through one muffler. If you have a company like FVD who tunes their mufflers beautifully, you have a great sounding exhaust all the time albeit, way too loud all the time for me.
3. I didn't personally try this because this would clearly be my living hell, delete side muffler and center muffler. Wear ear buds, hire a lawyer specializing in zoning laws and noise disturbances, and learn how to make genuine apologies.

If you are like me and want something that is quiet during cruising with a slightly wilder side, focus on getting a center muffler that reuses the side mufflers or a center muffler that replaces the side mufflers with other mufflers. Note the extensive use of the word "muffler", actual mufflers.

Fun fact that I learned during this road trip: Our cars have amazing microphones. My wife and I were in separate cars and talked on the phone with each other most of the way. She could not hear any background noise with the windows down. That's right, even with the windows down, it sounded like I was in a quiet room. However, the microphone does a terrific job picking up on the exhaust noise. Even with the Tubi, the sound was very noticeable when I accelerated which means that it must be incredibly annoying for anyone sitting on the other line of a very loud exhaust.

Fun surprising fact that I learn during the FVD troubleshooting process. On a cold start, the car is actually in a valves CLOSED position. Yes, you read that right, the loud idle during a cold start is actually valves closed. The noise is just the higher rpms, once the revs drop, the valves open up. I took a video and will post it later.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:30 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Capt_and

IPE: Love the high pitched sound (based solely on videos) but did not like how loud the system seems. They seemed very proud of how loud it is, which to me, translates to really really loud.
The video is very misleading as it includes cat-less headers; further support in your testimony that videos are hard to go by.... and I know that nobody could imagine marketing propaganda being an overstatement - at least they didn't try to claim 50hp like some others .

With the valves closed it is very similar to the Remus and Tubi. With the valves open its about at loud as an AWE/Fabspeed but a little more high pitched and a lot of popping. I sounds like you never would have opened the valves given your taste so I think you did well with the Tubi for your tastes!
Old 10-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Here is a picture of the FVD and Tubi. I didn't get too many good pictures since I was focused on just getting it done.

FVD

Tubi
Old 10-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Here is a video of the exhaust valve operation on my C4S on a cold start. Note how the valves are closed during the cold idle and actually open up on "warm" idle.

Video of the FVD Sport Exhaust flap opening and closing. As you'll notice, not a lot of volume difference. The tone changes but overall volume is roughly the same. It is very loud during everyday driving, too loud for me and apparently too loud for my neighbors as well.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:46 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

East bay meet up please. PM sent.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:47 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Thanks for the thorough write-up. Nicely done and very useful!

Fun surprising fact that I learn during the FVD troubleshooting process. On a cold start, the car is actually in a valves CLOSED position. Yes, you read that right, the loud idle during a cold start is actually valves closed. The noise is just the higher rpms, once the revs drop, the valves open up. I took a video and will post it later.
It's my understanding that the main reason the car is louder during initial warmup is that the ECU runs the car really rich during the cold start period, using the extra fuel burn to generate more heat to warm up the cats faster so that they become effective sooner. A side effect is that this is it makes the exhaust note a bit louder and deeper. The higher RPMs likely help with this too.

Quick Reply: From AWE, to FVD and FINALLY TUBI, the Exhaust Search is Finally Over