Sponsored by:

2018 gts 4

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017 | 12:49 AM
elaw
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Hello elaw,

I would help to know what car(s) you're coming from to get a perspective on your driving experience. I picked up my '18 C4 GTS August 22. So, perhaps my $.02 can be of help. I can confirm the information above. Here is my take.

All of the options you describe are pricey... and worth it.

1. Rear Axle Steering ("RAS") gives the car a smaller turning circle and makes if feel more nimble at low speeds and more stable at high speed, esp. quick lane changes. You can order RAS alone but if you order Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control ("PDCC") you must get RAS. PDCC, while expensive, is amazing. The car will corner, accelerate and brake absolutely flat. More importantly for a daily driver, it will make the car more comfortable. Having said that, my 2006 4S Cab had neither option and was fabulous. So, I don't think you'll regret either choice.

2. LED headlights are great. So are the bi-xenon. I got the LEDs but again, the lights on my '06 were great too. I do love the lateral movement of the Porsche Dynamic Lighting System plus (PDLS +) on Southern California's twisty roads.

3. Centerlock. Hands down. AS BlackBeauty stated, they are forged: stronger and lighter than the alternatives which are cast. The CLs are also 1/2" wider front and rear though the tire sizes are the same. Each ounce saved on your wheels is equal a pound saved on the car itself. (sprung v. un-sprung mass). Get the 3/4" torque wrench, breaker bar and anti-sieze lubricant. It's not that much money and may save you sometime. You can look up here (PDF) how to properly change them or ask at the dealer. BTW, if you don't want black, you can get them painted through Porsche Exclusive. Again though, get what you want. You'll love it either way.

Centerlock wheel change: https://youtu.be/8Occky5wSB4

Thank you for your insight. I have been driving suvs for the past ten years. Currently E70 X5 and 2018 sq5, sporty but not sport cars. The 911 will be the third car. Last sporty car I owned was 2001 prelude, not nearly as powerful as a 911 but man the handling was good. 911 is my child hood dream and I am finally in a position to make a reality. My goal is kept this GTS for awhile, but then again we see. I have never been one to go with the latest or greatest. 991 is a beauty and at best, I am looking at a March delivery if they can secure a Dec build for me.
Old 09-29-2017 | 12:55 AM
elaw
8th Gear

XLOR8T

Thank you for your offer, but I am in Alberta. I am leaning towards RAS and CLs now that I have some of you guys telling me about your experiences. I think I will stick with Xenons, I actually like the look a bit better. Realistically, I will not be driving the 911 much in the winter. They don't plow the side streets here so clearance is going to be a huge issue. We will always have two SUVs anyways.
Old 09-29-2017 | 04:33 AM
Loft23
Instructor

I don't own a GTS, but a GTS is basically a bundled set of options and cosmetic features so I will weigh in with my opinions.

RAS - if you watch all the various YouTube videos and get to experience driving one, it is a game changer. I opted out of PDCC, because with SPASM and RAS, you have lower center of gravity with a firmer suspension that body roll will be somewhat minimized, especially as your car rotates about its center much easier. The fact that you do not track your car, PDCC I feel is a less important option. I have SPASM and in normal mode, it is compliant for a Porsche. You are buying a Porsche and not an E class, expect to have a firmer ride. I came from an F10 M5 with competition package. The Porsche makes that car feel like a Lexus LS. I have read that PDCC over undulating road surfaces make the car feel artificial and some have complained about motion sickness. I prefer the car following road surfaces than trying to keep me flat. RAS feels natural and helps with the car's turning radius. You don't need to be a track rat to appreciate the added nimbleness.

LED vs XENON - I opted for the Xenon with PDLS because it comes with the black housing. Given that yours is a GTS, the black housing is standard. I prefer the 4 point DRL of the xenon and the look of a single eye ball on a 911. I drive my car 80% during the day so spending extra on LED's was not worth it. Looks are highly subjective, but you can decide for yourself below.

Xenon vs. LED DRL

Center Locks - My 2 cents, it looks cool and you get a Turbo S wheel. Downside, PITA when you need to go to a shop to get a flat repaired. Forged vs. non-forged, do we all know the rotational mass savings between the two? The fact that the OP clearly mentioned that the car will not be tracked, lighter forged wheels will not be factor for him or for many of us who occasionally track our cars.

Side topic:
Whether you track your vehicle or not, any Porsche 911 is capable of being a good track car. If you ever go to a track event, you will see many cars that are fun on the track costing much less and less capable than a 911. I don't regularly track, but I do attend at least 2-3 times per year where I have a safe and fun time. I even did it in my 4400lb F10 M5. So when I see people say that "I don't plan to track my car" and I see replies with their opinions on why you don't need X and Y, I find it funny. Many of us do not have the skills to push our cars to its limits. Randy Pobst of motor trend tracked the hell out of a C2S and I was like holy $hit! When you drive cars with skill, at its limits, and lap times are important, this is where carbon ceramics, light forged wheels, aero, and many electronic nannies are needed. We are not making a living by racing, so buy a car that excites you and look good to your eyes. Worry less on whether or not some expensive option will ruin your Porsche experience. If you are concerned about resale, there are a few options that are popular that will make it easier to sell, but anything beyond will not be residualized in the resale value of the car. My only regret with my car is not having the wide body. Although it only sits 1.7 inches wider with a 1.5 inch wider track than a standard C2, that additional .85" on either side looks good.
Old 09-29-2017 | 09:51 AM
elaw
8th Gear

Loft23

Thank you for your insight and the photos of the LED vs Xenon. I am liking the Xenon look better. My neighbor drives a cayman and he goes to several of these events a year as well. Sounds like a lot of fun, hanging out with other Porsche owners and car guys!!!! I can't wait to finally own a 911.
Old 09-29-2017 | 07:35 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

My 991.1 has Xenons with PDLS; the wife's Cayenne has LED's. Every time I get back into the 911 after driving the Cayenne, I am reminded again how much better the LED's are than the xenons, in visibility, range, and width of illumination. If I were ordering a new 911 today, I would have no hesitation in getting LED's, even considering the $Cdn2310 upcharge over the xenon/PDLS - I feel they are that much better.
What part of AB are you?
Cheers,
Martin
Victoria, BC
Old 09-30-2017 | 11:13 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Loft23
I don't own a GTS, but a GTS is basically a bundled set of options and cosmetic features so I will weigh in with my opinions.

RAS - if you watch all the various YouTube videos and get to experience driving one, it is a game changer. I opted out of PDCC, because with SPASM and RAS, you have lower center of gravity with a firmer suspension that body roll will be somewhat minimized, especially as your car rotates about its center much easier. The fact that you do not track your car, PDCC I feel is a less important option. I have SPASM and in normal mode, it is compliant for a Porsche. You are buying a Porsche and not an E class, expect to have a firmer ride. I came from an F10 M5 with competition package. The Porsche makes that car feel like a Lexus LS. I have read that PDCC over undulating road surfaces make the car feel artificial and some have complained about motion sickness. I prefer the car following road surfaces than trying to keep me flat. RAS feels natural and helps with the car's turning radius. You don't need to be a track rat to appreciate the added nimbleness.

LED vs XENON - I opted for the Xenon with PDLS because it comes with the black housing. Given that yours is a GTS, the black housing is standard. I prefer the 4 point DRL of the xenon and the look of a single eye ball on a 911. I drive my car 80% during the day so spending extra on LED's was not worth it. Looks are highly subjective, but you can decide for yourself below.

Xenon vs. LED DRL

Center Locks - My 2 cents, it looks cool and you get a Turbo S wheel. Downside, PITA when you need to go to a shop to get a flat repaired. Forged vs. non-forged, do we all know the rotational mass savings between the two? The fact that the OP clearly mentioned that the car will not be tracked, lighter forged wheels will not be factor for him or for many of us who occasionally track our cars.

Side topic:
Whether you track your vehicle or not, any Porsche 911 is capable of being a good track car. If you ever go to a track event, you will see many cars that are fun on the track costing much less and less capable than a 911. I don't regularly track, but I do attend at least 2-3 times per year where I have a safe and fun time. I even did it in my 4400lb F10 M5. So when I see people say that "I don't plan to track my car" and I see replies with their opinions on why you don't need X and Y, I find it funny. Many of us do not have the skills to push our cars to its limits. Randy Pobst of motor trend tracked the hell out of a C2S and I was like holy $hit! When you drive cars with skill, at its limits, and lap times are important, this is where carbon ceramics, light forged wheels, aero, and many electronic nannies are needed. We are not making a living by racing, so buy a car that excites you and look good to your eyes. Worry less on whether or not some expensive option will ruin your Porsche experience. If you are concerned about resale, there are a few options that are popular that will make it easier to sell, but anything beyond will not be residualized in the resale value of the car. My only regret with my car is not having the wide body. Although it only sits 1.7 inches wider with a 1.5 inch wider track than a standard C2, that additional .85" on either side looks good.
Excellent point reptions.

I drove a 991.2 CS (with RAS) and a 991.2 C4S (without) on the track at Mosport and I could not really tell the difference. The C4S felt more planted, but then I was probably focusing too much on driving.

Quick Reply: 2018 gts 4