Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts

New is always correct.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:17 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by coolhandshin

This is by far the best of those posted in my opinion.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:20 PM
teambell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After realizing how I configure and use the dash today, I actually am a hybrid lover - digital and analog. I use the digital speed and have my favorite oil, water temps, oil pressure and volts as my go to digital screen. I prefer to have easy view into all those and not rely entirely on the warning lights / systems. I find it very interesting to monitor how the engine manages various conditions in oil and water temps. I guess I view the current 991.1 analog gauges as vital redundant gauges and that they would only be the alternative if that one digital display is on the fritz.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:13 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JustBud
This is by far the best of those posted in my opinion.
Yes it probably is given the 911 buyers' average age of 52.

However if they are to win share among younger target customers, they have to become more modern and up to date.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:08 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Yes it probably is given the 911 buyers' average age of 52. ........
There it is, I'm average......
Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Yes it probably is given the 911 buyers' average age of 52.
YES!!! For once I'm above average!

Oh, and of course, my vote is for analog gauges.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:26 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
The analog gauges on my 991.2 are frankly useless.
I have their values displayed on the TFT.
With a modern vehicle with PDK you really only require a speed number as the rest of the information is monitored by the vehicle and you will get warnings when you exceed warning values.
My wifes XC70 doesn't even have a water temp gauge.
An all electronic instrument cluster that I can configure is fine by me.
Heads up display would really be nice.
8 spd PDK is also coming.-Richard
I totally disagree. After having a Macan with the 3 gauges, the extra 2 on the 911 are very useful. I like to keep as much vehicle and performance info between the two screens as possible, and having the oil and engine temps amongst others allows me to focus the screens on other valuable info.

As for digital vs analogue, this is like an argument between watches. I like my 1st gen Apple Watch, but it's already old and dated to me. An iconic analogue gauge like the one in my 911 not only inspires memories of all the classic 911 gauges I looked at as a kid while dreaming of one day having my own (a priceless feeling when I get into my Porsche's), but it's like a high quality, classy mechanical watch. Timeless, classic, with a rich history to it.

Digital representations/copies of REAL gauges are as pointless as it gets. How much will they be to replace in the future? For what reason? In several years they'll look so pixelated and old (nothing dates like tech) and the fad of "ooh, it's digital, it must be cool" will have worn off (i.e no more novelty to it). It'll be the oldest looking thing on your car, especially when you sit in the 2030 Panamera with NEW NEW digital gauges. A classic Porsche analogue gauge? It's the real thing, no digital representation there. Thus, will always look excellent, will always work, will always exude timelessness and an iconic image, while conveying a level of emotivity.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Analog/GPS

The combination of the analog speedo and GPS window are what drove me over the edge to the 991 vs 997. It is a simple bit of technology but very slick. Having bought the 991 I have found it is so fast that you can only see the digital speedo
Old 10-12-2017, 10:09 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why would you need a HUD at streets speeds?

Ask the Forsa guys what their real world lap times are (usually totally crap), LCD/LED dash boards may make a car SEEM obsolete. The reality is quite different.

BMW and Audi are using electronics and so called "tech" to cover up their ordinary performance. This is straightforward and has been understood for quite some time.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:01 AM
trayvon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Why would you need a HUD at streets speeds?
Need? Nobody here needs a 911.

I find the BMW style HUD very useful, because you don't have to take your eyes off the road to check your speed.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

I have a Panamera loaner I picked up today. Not super impressed with the digi-dash. The outer "gauges" lack choices in configuration. Really, the right one is only a compass or clock?

The big screen is impressive but complicated. Reminds me of an Android with the widgets, etc, but it's not easy to do small things like forward through presets, etc. I will play with it more tomorrow but so far, I like the analog setup better. And I'm not a technophobe. Quite the opposite actually.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,790 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by randr

BMW and Audi are using electronics and so called "tech" to cover up their ordinary performance. This is straightforward and has been understood for quite some time.
I guess that's why McLaren is doing digital gauges as well ...
Old 10-20-2017, 05:56 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by coolhandshin
HOW anyone can find those gauges which mimic the look of the real high quality gauges, "better" is beyond me. Classic example of tech fluff making people assume it "must" be better. You can see how real, crisp and authentic the center gauge looks. Then the side gauges attempt to recreate that same look, but they look slightly pixelated and blurred in comparison, "fake," a bit cheesy. In 3/5/10+ years? They'll look Atari grade 80's in datedness. It's hilarious how much mere gauges will provoke people to trade up in the future, as the first thing drivers' eyes will see in their "old" cars are clearly lacking graphics, while the new cars will greet them with new, crisper displays ("ooh/aah").

Yeah, give me analogue gauges all day. For as long as I have a choice on the matter, anyway.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:51 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
HOW anyone can find those gauges which mimic the look of the real high quality gauges, "better" is beyond me. Classic example of tech fluff making people assume it "must" be better. You can see how real, crisp and authentic the center gauge looks. Then the side gauges attempt to recreate that same look, but they look slightly pixelated and blurred in comparison, "fake," a bit cheesy. In 3/5/10+ years? They'll look Atari grade 80's in datedness. It's hilarious how much mere gauges will provoke people to trade up in the future, as the first thing drivers' eyes will see in their "old" cars are clearly lacking graphics, while the new cars will greet them with new, crisper displays ("ooh/aah").

Yeah, give me analogue gauges all day. For as long as I have a choice on the matter, anyway.
The LEC gauges mimic what my real BMW gauges look like....
Old 10-20-2017, 04:13 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

i prefer analog gauges......but i'm a relic of a bygone era :/

Quick Reply: 992 with digital dashboard?