Sponsored by:

992 with digital dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017 | 05:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A
HOW anyone can find those gauges which mimic the look of the real high quality gauges, "better" is beyond me. Classic example of tech fluff making people assume it "must" be better. You can see how real, crisp and authentic the center gauge looks. Then the side gauges attempt to recreate that same look, but they look slightly pixelated and blurred in comparison, "fake," a bit cheesy. In 3/5/10+ years? They'll look Atari grade 80's in datedness. It's hilarious how much mere gauges will provoke people to trade up in the future, as the first thing drivers' eyes will see in their "old" cars are clearly lacking graphics, while the new cars will greet them with new, crisper displays ("ooh/aah").

Yeah, give me analogue gauges all day. For as long as I have a choice on the matter, anyway.
Have to disagree with you on the visualization aspect. Those pictures do not do the screens justice. The graphics are beautiful, way better than BMW, Volvo, JLR digi gauges I have seen. I have not seen the Merc digi gauges from the E class but expect them to be just as good. They are also better than the Audi Virtual cockpit.

The rendering of the gauges is excellent.

But agreed, it would probably be dated.
Old 10-20-2017 | 05:51 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

The biggest thing that annoys me with digital gauges is the the poor framerate they typically are. My Tesla's gauge would drop frames and it wouldn't be very smooth.

Also noticed it in a Lamborghini Huracan as well...

Just give me analog gauages!
Old 10-20-2017 | 08:41 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Can’t give up on the analog gauges. I hope Porsche is reading this thread
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2017 | 10:54 PM
pfan
Pro

For better or worse, the future (of almost everything) is digital. Hopefully, Porsche will do it right.
Old 10-20-2017 | 10:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I prefer digital gauges.

Because I never keep a car OOW.
Old 10-20-2017 | 11:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
The biggest thing that annoys me with digital gauges is the the poor framerate they typically are. My Tesla's gauge would drop frames and it wouldn't be very smooth.

Also noticed it in a Lamborghini Huracan as well...

Just give me analog gauages!
Porsche's analog tacho negates this problem.

Their gauges are beautiful. The content sucks.
Old 10-21-2017 | 12:07 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A
HOW anyone can find those gauges which mimic the look of the real high quality gauges, "better" is beyond me. Classic example of tech fluff making people assume it "must" be better. You can see how real, crisp and authentic the center gauge looks. Then the side gauges attempt to recreate that same look, but they look slightly pixelated and blurred in comparison, "fake," a bit cheesy. In 3/5/10+ years? They'll look Atari grade 80's in datedness. It's hilarious how much mere gauges will provoke people to trade up in the future, as the first thing drivers' eyes will see in their "old" cars are clearly lacking graphics, while the new cars will greet them with new, crisper displays ("ooh/aah").

Yeah, give me analogue gauges all day. For as long as I have a choice on the matter, anyway.
Very much agree. Many of us are swiss watch enthusiasts. It's like Patek going digital. My Cayenne and 911 dashes are nearly identical. The digital speedo is handy as is the TFT, but the analog gauges give both cars that iconic Porsche look and feel. Timeless, like your favorite watch.
One other thought. The digital dashes are likely less expensive to manufacture and assemble than analog gauges.
Old 10-21-2017 | 12:34 AM
STG
Race Director

The iPhone-ization of car design. Unlike the yearly iPhone flips with new models, car electronics have to age a bit longer which will be a problem. iPhones are disposable, cars shouldn’t be. Especially 911’s.
Old 10-21-2017 | 04:43 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

I prefer no gauges. I’d rather have a HUD and a slim digital shift guide like what the McLaren 720S has.

If you drive around starring at your gauges then you have serious issues.
Old 10-24-2017 | 08:55 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Very much agree. Many of us are swiss watch enthusiasts. It's like Patek going digital. My Cayenne and 911 dashes are nearly identical. The digital speedo is handy as is the TFT, but the analog gauges give both cars that iconic Porsche look and feel. Timeless, like your favorite watch.
One other thought. The digital dashes are likely less expensive to manufacture and assemble than analog gauges.
Agreed entirely.
Old 11-02-2017 | 01:15 AM
ddodds
Racer

I kind of like it. Flared fenders and new headlights look good. Don't really care for digital dash and the new rear spoiler seems odd. Can't wait to see it at Rennsport. As I recall I wasn't crazy about the 991 spy shots at the time, now I own one!
Old 11-02-2017 | 02:52 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

From the spy photos I have seen, there is nothing on the 992 that I don't like.
Old 11-02-2017 | 03:12 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
From the spy photos I have seen, there is nothing on the 992 that I don't like.
Probably won't like the price on the window sticker.

Love it or hate it, digital dashes are here to stay. It's handy to be able to configure the dash to your preference and to be able to save different settings. Track vs Street. Track it would be great to see tire pressure, RPM, and oil temps front and center along with lap times. I don't need to know my speed. On the street, I want to know my speed.

Quick Reply: 992 with digital dashboard?