Sponsored by:

Stock Shifter -> GT4 ->Numeric Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts
Default Stock Shifter -> GT4 ->Numeric Racing

Hey everyone, so I have been on this path to improve the shifter feel on my 7MT 991 after coming from a 981 Cayman S. The 981 had a much nicer direct shifter feel and felt hugely let down when I traded up.

So my first stop in the shifter improvement journey was getting the short shift kit from Suncoast ($299), but I think can be had at other sources for quite a bit less. I bought one of the first batches when they were selling them for $369, but once people found out that this is just a GT4 piece prices went down.

Anyways...

There is a nice improvement over the stock shifter with the shorter shaft and improved shifter spring that gave a nice feel when bringing the shifter back to center (neutral). Overall a REALLY nice improvement over stock and brought up the direct feel up a couple notches.

The next piece I installed was the Function First weighted aluminum shift ****. This gave the whole shift feel a really nice weight, which to me felt really nice and more mechanical. (all subjective). The GT4 shifter + FF **** is a REALLY nice improvement over stock. The shifting feels more direct and less vague.

Just recently I acquired the Numeric Shifter Piece. First of all, it's a shame that it's all hidden, it's gorgeous automotive jewelry, but you could already feel that this is something special. Install is super easy and straightforward.

This made the biggest jump in shifter feel. It's even shorter than the the GT4, and heavier (which I like) and it makes it feel even more mechanical. I am still using my weighted FF shift ****. This combo has finally brought my 991.1 7MT's shifter to a place I REALLY like.

Shifts feel more deliberate and direct. I feel like I have a better sense of where the shifter is at all times

Is it worth the $699.99 price tag over the $260? Hmmm that's a tough question. But to ME it's worth the price premium, also Numeric has promotions pretty regularly where you can save a few bucks.

But to everyone wondering, YES there is a very noticeable improvement over the GT4 shifter. More direct, added weight and slightly shorter. It just has a great *klunk* feel to it now.

With that said, if anyone is looking for a good deal on a GT4 shifter, let me know

Last edited by Joec500; 09-28-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:12 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Joe, thanks for the review. I too installed a GT4 shifter on my .2 991 and the throw and engagement is much better but if you're saying the numeric piece is even better than that.. I guess I'd have to sell my gt4 setup too.

Questions -

How is the 3-4,5-6 shift? Is it even closer?

I have the oem CF shifter so I wouldn't change out the ****. Do you think the upgrade to a numeric shifter is still worth it with the stock ****? Install is the same as the GT4 piece? No cutting correct?

Stephen

EDIT - Sorry meant to say 2-3,4-5,6-7 shifts. are the gates even closer?
Old 09-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Hey everyone, so I have on this path to improve the shifter feel on my 7MT 991 after coming from a 981 Cayman S. The 981 had a much nicer direct shifter feel and felt hugely let down when I traded up.

Thanks for the reviews. Question: As you said, the GT4 spring is stronger and has more of a centering feel...

My beef with the 7MT has always been a bit of notchiness but mostly that coming out of 7th, the centering force wants you to go to 4th, not 6th, which is very bad. I always figured that therefore, a stronger centering force would be the opposite of what I want in this case (avoiding the money shift)...

How's the numeric in that regard ? Out of curiosity ?

I sorta solved this issue now that I've had this car for a year by never using 7th ;-)
Old 09-26-2017, 07:04 PM
OfficeDucati
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen k
Joe, thanks for the review. I too installed a GT4 shifter on my .2 991 and the throw and engagement is much better but if you're saying the numeric piece is even better than that.. I guess I'd have to sell my gt4 setup too.

Questions -

I have the oem CF shifter so I wouldn't change out the ****. Do you think the upgrade to a numeric shifter is still worth it with the stock ****? Install is the same as the GT4 piece? No cutting correct?

Stephen

Dibs on your GT4 set up.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:07 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Thanks for the reviews. Question: As you said, the GT4 spring is stronger and has more of a centering feel...

My beef with the 7MT has always been a bit of notchiness but mostly that coming out of 7th, the centering force wants you to go to 4th, not 6th, which is very bad. I always figured that therefore, a stronger centering force would be the opposite of what I want in this case (avoiding the money shift)...

I sorta solved this issue now that I've had this car for a year by never using 7th ;-)
7 to 4 money shift? I shift from 4 to 5 at 130 mph, and that's on the track. I can't imagine where I would ever be in 7th gear and needed to gear down into 6th at a speed higher than 130. Usually when I'm in 7th it's for lumbering along the highway getting good gas mileage and that's far less than 100 mph.

Thanks for the review on the shifter. I have the FF aluninum **** on the standard shifter, that alone was a nice improvement.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:24 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stephen k

Questions -

Stephen

Yes, the gates feel closer with this shifter. Also if you have the CF OEM shifter ****, I wouldn't swap it. I am actually debating on going back to a stock **** after the Numeric Racing Shifter. And yes there is a large improvement over the GT4 shifter. Install is EXACTLY the same, ZERO cutting and easily reversible.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg D.

LOL I am in the same boat, I rarely use 7th and never had any concern with money shifting 7th as if you are at that high of an RPM in 7th you are probably going at insane speeds, which I never approach except on track. On the track I never really go past 5th gear ever. I am mostly in 2-3-4. But the centering force is stronger for sure, but it's something I like.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:01 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I too have the Numeric shifter and FF shift ****. The combination is sublime. When I hear people trashing the 7spd manual I always get a smile on my face. They have no idea that it's never been about the transmission. Upgrading the shifter and dialing it in with a weighted **** makes this car as mechanical as any 997 or earlier manual I've driven in a modern car.

Until you do it, you'll never know what you're missing.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:04 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Now. Add the FF yellow trans mounts.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ibmiked
I too have the Numeric shifter and FF shift ****. The combination is sublime. When I hear people trashing the 7spd manual I always get a smile on my face. They have no idea that it's never been about the transmission. Upgrading the shifter and dialing it in with a weighted **** makes this car as mechanical as any 997 or earlier manual I've driven in a modern car.

Until you do it, you'll never know what you're missing.

It's crooked!!!!??? or is that just the angle? hurts my OCD
Old 09-27-2017, 02:05 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
7 to 4 money shift? I shift from 4 to 5 at 130 mph, and that's on the track. I can't imagine where I would ever be in 7th gear and needed to gear down into 6th at a speed higher than 130. Usually when I'm in 7th it's for lumbering along the highway getting good gas mileage and that's far less than 100 mph.
You are right, "money shift" is not an appropriate moniker since this car is geared so long. Unless maybe someone was tailgating you and is now lodged into your rear bumper ;-) Let's call it "bad surprise" or "default shift"... I don't know about your car but in mine it's very much defaulting to going to 4th if you pop out of 7 - grabbing 6th from 7 takes way more attention/effort than any other shift. It's not right... I know, "go to neutral, then 6th".

It's OK anyway since I never use 7th anymore, but all that does not answer the question of "if you have a stronger centering spring, how on earth does it help with that shift?" ;-)
Old 09-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Thanks for the review.

I would also be concerned with a stronger centering spring vs the GT4 shifter. I like the GT4 upgrade but at times it feels like there is TOO much self centering force, and I get 4th instead of second. And reverse. Yikes, my wife hates shifting into reverse.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:42 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Thanks for the review.

I would also be concerned with a stronger centering spring vs the GT4 shifter. I like the GT4 upgrade but at times it feels like there is TOO much self centering force, and I get 4th instead of second. And reverse. Yikes, my wife hates shifting into reverse.
I feel like there is maybe a 20% increase in centering force. This is really a try before you buy kinda thing. I think people will either love it or hate it. Because there is more effort in movements, but to me they feel A LOT more satisfying.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:18 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 92 Posts

Good discussion, and great to get real-world experiences from Numeric and GT4 short shift users.
I am thinking of upgrading to one of these, already did the FF aluminum ****, very pleased with that!
Question: I have a 2013 C2, with Sport Chrono, with rev matching. Are both of these shifters compatible with the rev match function?
I believe they should be, as it seems the mechanical and electronic bits necessary for rev match would be at the transmission, not the shifter.
Thanks for any info on this question.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3FZS
Good discussion, and great to get real-world experiences from Numeric and GT4 short shift users.
I am thinking of upgrading to one of these, already did the FF aluminum ****, very pleased with that!
Question: I have a 2013 C2, with Sport Chrono, with rev matching. Are both of these shifters compatible with the rev match function?
I believe they should be, as it seems the mechanical and electronic bits necessary for rev match would be at the transmission, not the shifter.
Thanks for any info on this question.
The GT4 definitely is. I speak from experience. Can't see why the Numeric wouldn't be. There is nothing electronic on the shifter. The only connection is the two shift cables. But don't want to speak out of turn. Too much of that around here lately.

Quick Reply: Stock Shifter -> GT4 ->Numeric Racing