Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyer beware: My (POOR) experience with Fabspeed

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:24 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not my experience with Fabspeed. Have always found them helpful.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:39 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Porsche factory exhaust systems, both standard and PSE, on the 991 do not produce any drone.

For many-many years, Rennlisters have seen this crappy customer service from Fabspeed. This, sadly, is not new. I'm always amazed that people keep buying their stuff and wacky claims. I'm equally amazed they have not been booted as a sponsor. I guess IB loves their sponsor fees.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,353 Likes on 762 Posts

+1
Old 09-26-2017, 09:45 AM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

All of the Fabspeed stuff I have seen installed and run myself in the past has always been of good quality.

I will agree that their customer service can leave one wanting at times. I think it comes down to who you speak with honestly. A company is only as strong as their weakest link and I think this plagues them at times.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:50 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

There is a lesson here and unfortunately, the OP has learned it the hard way. There is no substitute for doing your homework. I went through this process a few times as recently as 8 weeks ago. I took me 4 hours to remove my stock muffler and install a new center delete set of pipes. I spent more than 4 hours researching which manufacturer to select. I considered all the big names, Fabspeed, Sharkwerks, AWE, GMG and others. In the end I purchased a GMG system, the system I acquired has met my expectations, especially with respect to sound and Customer service. It was painstaking talking to people, listening to sound video comparisons and watching install videos. As a customer, we do have responsibility. When we make a poor decision, most companies would work with us to cure the problem. I certainly know that GMG and AWE would as I have personal experience with them.

As for the installation issues, I have no experience with the Fabspeed X-Pipe install. I will share this after having removed and installed my exhausts on my last three 911's, bolt on does not equal plug and play.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,241 Likes on 751 Posts

I changed to X pipe on my first Porsche, Sharkwerks. Advertised as bolt on. First time putting on an aftermarket exhaust on any car.

Was it easy? Not really. Read a lot beforehand, including watching many videos. Vids sure made it look easy, but removing bolts and metal bands in a tight space while lying on your back was far from easy. Lots of bitching, blood hands, scraped knuckles. Tight fits and use of rubber mallets. After hours and lots of cursing, got it on. And I took it off when I sold the car.

I considered it a great learning experience and was damn proud of myself for being able to do it first time ever. I have no complaints.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

When I first got my .1 with PSE I considered the noise it makes a drone when on cruise control on the freeway and would always turn it off.

Now I've gotten used to it and turning it off bothers me because I can't hear the engine anymore.

I'll be getting Fabspeed headers soon on my 360 before the idiotic stock ones blow back bits of bs precat material into my engine.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Suncoast PSE cost

To add PSE all you need to replace is the center muffler, cabin switch and program. The suncoast kit include new tips which are the exact same dimension but higher gloss. Total all in should not exceed $1300 plus an hour to program. Another thread gives the accurate parts list.

Originally Posted by brainzito
In early July, I bought a 991.2 Cab with stock exhaust (no PSE). Missing the sound that my previous 991 had, I decided to go aftermarket and bought a Fabspeed X-pipe ( http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-991-...pipe-for-base/ ) . It is supposed to be "Direct bolt-on replacement for the factory center muffler" - more on that later.

The X-pipe went into production and I received it about a month later - end of August. It was certainly NOT a weekend job or an easy "direct bolt on". It required 3 hs labor at an extra cost of $450, removing the catalytic converter and heat shields. Fabspeed said: sorry - no one said direct bolt on means you could do it at home, buddy.

At first, the exhaust tone/sound was quite a nice improvement from original with no issues. After driving with it for several weeks, I have a very annoying drone at low rpm's that resembles a tuner's Honda Civic, not the sound you'd expect from a 911 with a reputable aftermarket muffler replacement. Fabspeed said: sorry buddy, sound is subjective. We expect some drone, so maybe you'd have to change the way you drive (seriously) and keep it at higher rpm's.

I called them to find a solution, not to get a refund or an exchange. I happen to like the product except for that drone which I find unacceptable. I was hoping they'd stand by their product and work with me.

I guess I learned you get what you pay for. Suncoast had the PSE for about 3k this weekend...

I've tried to record a video but it is difficult to appreciate it with a cell phone video.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:53 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Porsche factory exhaust systems, both standard and PSE, on the 991 do not produce any drone.

For many-many years, Rennlisters have seen this crappy customer service from Fabspeed. This, sadly, is not new. I'm always amazed that people keep buying their stuff and wacky claims. I'm equally amazed they have not been booted as a sponsor. I guess IB loves their sponsor fees.
Exactly this. When I saw the thread title my first thought “here we go again, don’t people use the search function first”. Not the first complaint and I am sure not the last.

OP sorry for your troubles. Best CS in the industry, Sambo. People should look no further.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:54 AM
brainzito
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
There is a lesson here and unfortunately, the OP has learned it the hard way. There is no substitute for doing your homework. I went through this process a few times as recently as 8 weeks ago. I took me 4 hours to remove my stock muffler and install a new center delete set of pipes. I spent more than 4 hours researching which manufacturer to select. I considered all the big names, Fabspeed, Sharkwerks, AWE, GMG and others. In the end I purchased a GMG system, the system I acquired has met my expectations, especially with respect to sound and Customer service. It was painstaking talking to people, listening to sound video comparisons and watching install videos. As a customer, we do have responsibility. When we make a poor decision, most companies would work with us to cure the problem. I certainly know that GMG and AWE would as I have personal experience with them.

As for the installation issues, I have no experience with the Fabspeed X-Pipe install. I will share this after having removed and installed my exhausts on my last three 911's, bolt on does not equal plug and play.
Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I changed to X pipe on my first Porsche, Sharkwerks. Advertised as bolt on. First time putting on an aftermarket exhaust on any car.

Was it easy? Not really. Read a lot beforehand, including watching many videos. Vids sure made it look easy, but removing bolts and metal bands in a tight space while lying on your back was far from easy. Lots of bitching, blood hands, scraped knuckles. Tight fits and use of rubber mallets. After hours and lots of cursing, got it on. And I took it off when I sold the car.

I considered it a great learning experience and was damn proud of myself for being able to do it first time ever. I have no complaints.
You gotta love how people assume things. Now everybody on this forum is a home mechanic and ready to install an exhaust system.
You assume I didn't try to do it myself ( I did try ) I too take pride of doing stuff on my own instead of paying dearly for it.

You assume I didn't do my homework. I'll send you a check if you can find an install video of the 991.2 xpipe or any aftermarket system, for that matter. Plenty of pics around, some videos of exhaust sound, etc... . I couldn't find any install help. I'm the type of guy that researches for days, weeks before buying. Call me an idiot for trusting a company that has been in business for ~20 years. My bad.

Any other constructive criticism?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:13 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

You gotta love how people assume things. Now everybody on this forum is a home mechanic and ready to install an exhaust system.
You assume I didn't try to do it myself ( I did try ) I too take pride of doing stuff on my own instead of paying dearly for it.

You assume I didn't do my homework. I'll send you a check if you can find an install video of the 991.2 xpipe or any aftermarket system, for that matter. Plenty of pics around, some videos of exhaust sound, etc... . I couldn't find any install help. I'm the type of guy that researches for days, weeks before buying. Call me an idiot for trusting a company that has been in business for ~20 years. My bad.

So now you’re attacking other members here because they’re not sharing your opinions?? It shows you’re narrow focused and hard to deal with. They do have some points.

How hard is it to look under your car and realize it’s not going to be as easy as a clear sidemarker swap?

This isn’t about Fabspeed, it’s about common sense. I’m not even a Fabspeed product fan!

You haven’t answered my question yet.

WHY NOT GET A REFUND?? I’m sure Fabspeed is more than willing to do so. Geez, I’m about to refund you out of my own pocket to stop the pain of reading these posts.

Drone on an X-PIPE?? Nothing new.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:25 AM
brainzito
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
So now you’re attacking other members here because they’re not sharing your opinions?? It shows you’re narrow focused and hard to deal with. They do have some points.

How hard is it to look under your car and realize it’s not going to be as easy as a clear sidemarker swap?

This isn’t about Fabspeed, it’s about common sense. I’m not even a Fabspeed product fan!

You haven’t answered my question yet.

WHY NOT GET A REFUND?? I’m sure Fabspeed is more than willing to do so. Geez, I’m about to refund you out of my own pocket to stop the pain of reading these posts.
Dear STG: My mother always said: If you don't have anything intelligent to say, then don't say anything

1- It wasn't an attack. Sorry If I hurt your feelings

2- Again with the assumptions. A refund was asked for yesterday.

3- You need my paypal to send me the $?

Have a nice day. Keep on trolling
Old 09-26-2017, 11:39 AM
sik_sd
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Fabspeed Exhaust on my .2

Build quality - very nice welds, great finish on the black chrome tips

sound- no drone on mine, get complements on the sound from the outside often. I like the sound from the inside.

Experience with Fabspeed - TERRIBLE. Straps were missing, then they sent the wrong size twice, had to fight with them on the phone multiple times as they told me how right they were and how wrong (stupid) I was since they had already installed many "without any problems" until...

They realized they were shipping 993 straps...whoops

Took almost a month to get it straightened out.

They did call to try and make it right and seemed genuinely sorry for the way they treated me and the trouble it caused (in and out of the shop at $150/ HR 3 times)

But it's all ok because they sent me a t-shirt
Old 09-26-2017, 11:47 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Dear STG: My mother always said: If you don't have anything intelligent to say, then don't say anything

1- It wasn't an attack. Sorry If I hurt your feelings

2- Again with the assumptions. A refund was asked for yesterday.

3- You need my paypal to send me the $?

Have a nice day. Keep on trolling

Brainzero —

Intelligent?? Look at your first “buyer beware” post. Talk about trolling too.

X-PIPE has some drone and harder to “bolt on” than imagined??? Common knowledge and common sense on the board here.

Think about it. A “buyer beware” thread because pipe has some drone and install took more than 20min and a kids screwdriver set. Look under the car!! What looks soooooo simple??

Why not call them and handle it directly instead of going on a forum witch hunt? Like what’s anyone here going to do to help you?
Old 09-26-2017, 12:08 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

FWIW, some of us have some real experience with these cars. I am sorry things didn't go as you expected but that's just the way it is sometimes. Your result certainly does not give the impression that you thoroughly researched the magnitude of the task you tried to undertake. Exhausts are not the easiest to change out the first time,especially without instructional guidance. You can encounter every problem under sun, such as sheered bolts, tight spaces and the removal of parts that are necessary and unnecessary.

There are probably no videos of the R&R, however getting under car and mentally removing it would have gone a long way to understanding the depth of the task. A shop weighed in that installed an X-pipe and they didn't seem to have much trouble on the first go round. Perhaps this task was just above your skill set, tools available etc. There is no disrespect intended, I have had plenty of jobs I started and found myself unable to complete. After a failed attempt, I always found that I learned a little bit more.

Good luck with the resolution with Fabspeed.
Don't blame the exhaust manufacturer for the PCar design.

Quick Reply: Buyer beware: My (POOR) experience with Fabspeed