Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door trim is coming loose - Upgrade to Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:26 PM
ahughes3214
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
What was the issue?
The problem was a small pin sized hole in the driver door (pic below). Nothing serious but it bothered me considering how much I paid. I explicitly told the dealer; "fix it if you can make it right and not noticeable, otherwise let's just leave it alone".

They assured me their leather guy was the best and could make it invisible. Well, when I returned for the cas, it was a no brainer that the entire panel had been ruined by their "best" leather man Pic below).

Dealer agreed immediately that it was a hot mess and ordered a new door panel.

The replacement process is a whole separate story as it took three panels and entire year to get the correct new panel and have it installed.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:33 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ahughes3214
The problem was a small pin sized hole in the driver door (pic below). Nothing serious but it bothered me considering how much I paid. I explicitly told the dealer; "fix it if you can make it right and not noticeable, otherwise let's just leave it alone".

They assured me their leather guy was the best and could make it invisible. Well, when I returned for the cas, it was a no brainer that the entire panel had been ruined by their "best" leather man Pic below).

Dealer agreed immediately that it was a hot mess and ordered a new door panel.

The replacement process is a whole separate story as it took three panels and entire year to get the correct new panel and have it installed.
I had that issue on my Jag. For me the dealer tried to get out of it though and I got 3 times damages in small claims This is also why I'm in a 911 and not an F Type.

They "fix" these things by sanding and spray paint. This is no bueno on napa leather and you get what is pictured. The jag dealer denied the use of spray paint but couldn't explain the overspray left on the windshield... a brand new windshield that the labor of replacing had caused the damage to the leather!

You cannot repair leather. You can HIDE holes and tears but not repair.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:54 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

that's horrible!
Old 09-28-2017, 03:17 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 468 Posts

Yes had the same thing with mine. Was not leather door panels thought but mine was covered under warranty by my dealer. So it worked well for me. They went ahead and did both door panels.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:18 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
I'm guessing they are not sold separately, as they are plastic welded onto the door panel. I had mine covered in stealth red carbon fiber.

I was going to copy FloridaMarco's red leather look, but the dash pieces were on a long back order so I went custom instead.

btw, I agree, without the leather dash, leather door cards might look odd.
Where did you get the carbon door strips? Nice. MaCarbon?
Old 09-28-2017, 10:46 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Where did you get the carbon door strips? Nice. MaCarbon?
No, Carbon Signature here in Atlanta. Noone else offers this stealth red carbon that I have seen.

Quick Reply: Door trim is coming loose - Upgrade to Leather?