Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SIM card question.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:06 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Default SIM card question.

So I just traded a 17 for a 18 and moved the SIM card over to the new car. It's active and it's unlimited data. The new car is recognizing the SIM and it appears that it's connected when I open safari on my iPhone and browse. It shows the porsche network but it's not downloading traffic.

Am I doing something wrong? Does dealer have to activate something? Sales guy said give it a day but that doesn't really make sense. He said another customer took delivery and it took a day. If it's connected it should download.

So, if a SIM is active can't it simply be inserted to get data in a porsche or is there another step?

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:43 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Wanted add the PCM acknowledges the SIM card with no error messages.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Top. Any thoughts appreciated. Of course I'll inquire with dealer if not working tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:42 AM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

When you say "traffic" are you referring to the live traffic updates or general network availability (sorry, US Navy guy and traffic means different things to me)? I have a problem with my phone when it connects to the WiFi in the car, it will not download email & such...FYI, I have the embedded SIM card. I haven't put much effort into it as I just shut off the WiFi on my phone when I drop it into the car.

I will pay more attention in the next few days...

Back to the "wait one day" comment, mine worked immediately.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:40 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wes66vette
When you say "traffic" are you referring to the live traffic updates or general network availability (sorry, US Navy guy and traffic means different things to me)? I have a problem with my phone when it connects to the WiFi in the car, it will not download email & such...FYI, I have the embedded SIM card. I haven't put much effort into it as I just shut off the WiFi on my phone when I drop it into the car.

I will pay more attention in the next few days...

Back to the "wait one day" comment, mine worked immediately.
I'm referring to live traffic updates. The wifi hotspot is working from the SIM I put in the PCM.

I'm assuming I have the embedded SIM as well. Can I activate that?

Thank you... and the wait one day doesn't make sense so thanks for confirming. But what confuses me is that I have a data connection that I can confirm with use of safari on my phone.

Thanks....
Old 09-24-2017, 03:56 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I only seem to get traffic when I have a route loaded...
Old 09-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

In the 17 I would get color overlays with green, yellow and red on the map with no routes loaded. Plus google earth not loading. I'll work with dealer and update. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:31 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael_s
In the 17 I would get color overlays with green, yellow and red on the map with no routes loaded. Plus google earth not loading. I'll work with dealer and update. Thanks.
I was having some issues as well when I bought mine (MY18), it was a combination of a few things...the dealer had to "activate" some services to enable the embedded card, I got a code (I don't remember what service it was for) and had to give it to them...after that, things worked pretty normally...I will be out driving around today, I will see what mine does.

For grins and giggles, you might want to take the removable sim card out...I found out I didn't need it, and I have a year of free stuff from Porsche (not 100% it will let you do data downloads to your phone through the connection, if you connect via WiFi) as I have gotten errors when trying to download my emails at times.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:48 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe you have to register for the Porsche Car Connect Portal to get the services to work correctly. They will send you a PDF file with a special code specific for your car which you then give to your Porsche service person. He/she will then hook up your car to the service computer to activate the services. Was told that it can't be done remotely unfortunately.

I believe you will have to register at the site below to get the special code.

https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/cwp/login.do

PDF file looks something like this but without the redactions.

Good luck,

John
Old 09-25-2017, 04:12 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Yes...that is the code I gave my service advisor...so, I went out and drove around, traffic works, route or no route...it just seemed more detailed with navigation engaged, then again, it could have just been where I was driving (neighborhoods vice highways).

I would definitely take it in if it isn't working...they got mine cleared up in about 20 minutes.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:29 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Porsche Car Connect is all loaded and active from dealer. I can pull up the app on my phone and unlock car, fold mirrors, see tire pressure, etc. I have PCM connect active as well and see the connection and the apps on the PCM are working. (Napster loaded under apps in the PCM. They still in business??) and I got a new SIM card with my 90 day free trial yesterday. Still no traffic. I will give it another day and then let the dealer check it out.

Literally when I got my 17 CPO there was SIM in the dash. I came inside, activated via att.com/porsche and it worked. Not sure what's going on here but I'm sure we will get to the bottom of it.

Keep you posted. Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:29 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

For grins and giggles, you might want to take the removable sim card out...I found out I didn't need it, and I have a year of free stuff from Porsche (not 100% it will let you do data downloads to your phone through the connection, if you connect via WiFi) as I have gotten errors when trying to download my emails at times.
Will give this a go. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:28 AM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael_s
Will give this a go. Thanks.
Keep us posted...especially if there is a victory.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:34 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Keep us posted...especially if there is a victory.
Negative on the SIM card removal. Lost all connectivity. Wifi went out and no streaming with internal SIM. The AT&T SIM is active so weird I'm not getting other info. Pandora, Amazon music, etc, all working on data.

Maybe Porsche has to process the sale of the car? I picked it up Saturday?? But this doesn't make sense. Maybe PCM reboot or software update needed...

Keep you posted. Oh and no google earth.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:46 AM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Looks like someone gets a trip to the local Porsche dealership...I hope yours is close and you have the time...I retired and have more time than I know what to do with.

Something is definitely off...It could also be a priority issue with which connection is taking primacy, and what functions are available.

The one day argument your service advisor might give you is no longer valid. Hopefully they can get this resolved for you, and maybe they got a fresh shipment of new P-cars to look at while you wait...my dealership got a new CAB GTS (Chalk) that looked great.

Sorry to hear you are having problems...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SIM card question.