Can someone help me understand the order process

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:10 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Can someone help me understand the order process

Ordered my first Porsche.

Went to the dealer and submitted my order on 9/6.
It was code V200 with a vehicle completion date of 12/1.
The screen at the dealer showed expected change freeze point of 10/27.

My understanding was I had my spot in line basically and I could change the options up until that point.

Yesterday I finalized my options and submitted them with some changes to what I originally ordered.

Now the status shows V200 with and completion date of 1/12/18. About a 6 week delay over what I was originally anticipating. Vehicle fixed date changed from 11/17 to 12/15.

I am confused by this process and just looking for some information on how it works. In the grand scheme of things 6 weeks is not that big of deal but I am disappointed and just trying to get some understanding of how things work. Never dealt with this type scenario when ordering previous cars from different makers.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2017, 11:37 AM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on your order. Just a guess but maybe the delay is due to the availability of the new options you had changed to. When I had submitted my changes during the ordering process, the estimated dates did not change. I had submitted 4-5 changes over the course of 3 weeks before it locked.

Best of luck,

John
Old 09-23-2017, 01:42 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

This could be. I know I have one option that has a "not available until" date on the *dealer* configurator that doesn't show on the public one.

Transmission tunnel in leather....available after 11/xx (I can't remember the date). My build was 12/1 regardless, but you might check this against your option list, or at least the things you changed.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:41 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Went to the dealer and submitted my order on 9/6.
It was code V200 with a vehicle completion date of 12/1.
The screen at the dealer showed expected change freeze point of 10/27.

My understanding was I had my spot in line basically and I could change the options up until that point.

Yesterday I finalized my options and submitted them with some changes to what I originally ordered.

Now the status shows V200 with and completion date of 1/12/18. About a 6 week delay over what I was originally anticipating. Vehicle fixed date changed from 11/17 to 12/15.
When you ordered your car on 9/6, you submit all the specs you wanted on the car, called a build.

Based on that build, you got some "estimated" dates, like the completion date and freeze date. If you would have stuck to that build, in all likelihood, the original dates you got would have stuck, too.

But, when you changed your build, you also rolled the dice, so to speak, on your dates. Some times dates change, sometimes they don't. It all depends, so it seems, on what the changes are. It sounds as if the changes you ordered were significant, and, so, the dice rolled against you. It's too bad your SA wasn't able to warn you that this could happen.

Sometimes, when submitting significant build changes, you may, actually, lose your allocation while Porsche figures out whether or not it can oblige you. That is, you go from status V200 to status V100. A temporary condition, you regain your V200 status once the research is complete and Porsche agrees to provide the changes you want.

That's how I understand the process to work.

Check this out to learn more https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...o-pts-214.html
Old 09-23-2017, 02:57 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fuddman
When you ordered your car on 9/6, you submit all the specs you wanted on the car, called a build.

Based on that build, you got some "estimated" dates, like the completion date and freeze date. If you would have stuck to that build, in all likelihood, the original dates you got would have stuck, too.

But, when you changed your build, you also rolled the dice, so to speak, on your dates. Some times dates change, sometimes they don't. It all depends, so it seems, on what the changes are. It sounds as if the changes you ordered were significant, and, so, the dice rolled against you. It's too bad your SA wasn't able to warn you that this could happen.

Sometimes, when submitting significant build changes, you may, actually, lose your allocation while Porsche figures out whether or not it can oblige you. That is, you go from status V200 to status V100. A temporary condition, you regain your V200 status once the research is complete and Porsche agrees to provide the changes you want.

That's how I understand the process to work.

Check this out to learn more https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...o-pts-214.html
Thanks. That sounds right. The dealer called me after I posted and explained it as option availability. I did make some big changes from the initial order.
Like I said in the initial post this is my first time ordering a Porsche so I guessI am just uneducated on the process.
Appreciate the info.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:58 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

And remember the xmas/new years holidays and factory line shut-down. I suspect your delay of 6 weeks is longer because of year-end timing.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:56 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

In my experience, "any change causes a delay". Not always, but seems like a good rule of thumb from my last few orders.
YMMV.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:21 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Keadog
In my experience, "any change causes a delay". Not always, but seems like a good rule of thumb from my last few orders.
YMMV.
Makes sense. I don't plan any further changes!

Quick Reply: Can someone help me understand the order process