Sponsored by:

I don't like my LED headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Default I don't like my LED headlamps

Sure, they light up the road nicely if you are on a flat surface, but the cut-off is so good that driving down a road dip means you won't see what's ahead until your car is coming back up the dip.

I might go back to the Xenon's next time.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Are you turning on the High Beam Assist function?
Old 09-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Yes, the Assist is on.

Where I live is a bit of a rural part of the DC suburbs. There are some hills on one of the divided roads that I drive. With on-coming traffic and the LEDs lighting up the road so brightly, I can't see past the dip up the other side. We have deer, foxes, etc., and it is a bit scary. In addition, if on a divided highway, low beams won't light up the overhead signs at all.

Maybe it's just me.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:28 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 970 Posts

I know what you mean about the LEDs. They are different from the HID lights that I had in my previous Porsches. It seems like the cutoff line becomes more visible with every new generation. The LED lights are so much brighter than the HIDs that it makes the cutoff seem even more pronounced. That being said, I still think they are better lights than the HIDs. I drive on lots of curvy, mountain roads with abundant wildlife. I'm okay with the LEDs. The only thing that still bothers me a bit is that the driver's side headlight is noticeably lower than the passenger's side light. My service advisor checked them, and everything is adjusted properly. It's done to prevent dazzling of oncoming drivers.

If only we could find a way to code the US spec PDLS+ lights so that they had full functionality like the European versions....
Old 09-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Wanna swap?
Old 09-21-2017, 04:10 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 50 Posts

LED headlights are known have a much sharper cut-off. If you don't like it on a car, imagine how bad it is on a motorcycle when you are leaned in to turn!
Old 09-21-2017, 05:09 PM
991 Dreamer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
Are you turning on the High Beam Assist function?
Lexvan, How do you turn on High Beam assist? I have been doing it manually all this time?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 Dreamer
Lexvan, How do you turn on High Beam assist? I have been doing it manually all this time?
One push forward of the high beam stalk. And then the icon illuminates (an "A" with circle around it).

It reads both oncoming headlights and forward approaching tail lights, and automatically adjusts high beams. Also takes into consideration residual local light levels, like intersections and such.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:20 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 Dreamer
You also have to enable it, if not already enabled, in the multi-function-display. I just looked it up to make sure I told you correctly:
It's under Main Menu -> Vehicle -> Settings -> Light & Visibility -> Exterior Lights -> Hi Beam Assist
Old 09-21-2017, 05:33 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

Even around the hilly parts of Austin with all of its deer and other critters I haven't seen this as a problem although I can see the cutoff at the top pretty strongly too. I'm not sure how much better a Xenon could do since it would have the same line of sight and I don't see how diffusion could come into play there. It would require a side-by-side comparison to know for sure. Maybe I'm wrong!

Here's why I don't think it is as bad as it could be. For many months I thought that one of the two projectors on each side was a high beam and one was the low beam but that is not the case. One thing that is different with the LED lights is that both the top AND the bottom projector is illuminated when low beams are on. This allows the top projector to illuminate as far over a crest as possible while the lower light provides additional fill and reduces the potential for shadows from vertical obstructions like branches by providing two offset illumination sources. When high beams are turned on, the shutter is raised on the projectors and two additional super-bright LEDs on the side of each projector turn on to provide the additional fill and distance.

My son lit me up with the high beams once when I was outside the car about 25 yards away looking towards the car. I pity the poor soul that accidentally gets a high beam flash from those!

BTW: I just noticed the photo in my current avatar is showing the low beams turned on.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:18 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 970 Posts

I was thinking about this thread while I was driving home from the Avalanche vs. Stars game tonight. Yes, the cutoff seems abrupt. But damn, the LED headlights put out such a bright light, they really light up road. I think you need to give it more time, and you’ll get used to it.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Yes, the light they put out on the road is great. On typical highway grades it works well enough but on back roads with steep grades it is lacking... for me. The lack of lighting for overhead traffic signs isn't such a big deal with Nav. I guess its a trade-off. I did not notice this issue with my last Porsche with Xenons.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:42 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll trade you.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I'll trade you.