Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2s Vs Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:33 PM
Sleepy996
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

If you do not have the means to throw down for a 458 or 488 why not get a 991 Turbo S with low miles and certified ? Exhaust and a tune and you will blow the doors off a 458 and possibly the 488 as well ontop of being reliable and daily drivable. Do it....
Old 09-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Biggest difference?

The 991.2 is a better daily driver than the 488.

Why?

Because the 488 attracts attention like flies on day-old fecal matter. Every trip becomes an event, even if one is just using the 488 to grab some milk and eggs at the grocery store (which I've done, and it's a major PIA.)
EXACTLY!! There isn't any theoretical reason it can't be used every day. But 911s flying under the radar is their best attribute.

People don't realize how much attention an exotic sports car can garner.... it's problematic.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
I'd love to drive (but not own) every single one of those cars!

Spoiling it for you - they published their final ranking results:

#1 Ferrari 488 GTB http://www.motortrend.com/news/ferra...t-drivers-car/

#2 Porsche 718 Cayman S http://www.motortrend.com/news/porsh...t-drivers-car/

#3 Porsche 911 Turbo S http://www.motortrend.com/news/porsc...t-drivers-car/

#4 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevr...t-drivers-car/
The Cayman 718 S is quite easily one of the best sports cars made by Porsche
Old 09-20-2017, 10:19 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Spoiling it for you - they published their final ranking results:
The odd thing is that, reading the text, you'd think that they'd ranked the 488 #3 and not #1. They say a lot more negative things about the car than they do about the Cayman or the Turbo S.

The only exception that comes to mind is that Derek Powell said the 488 was "fun even when driving at the lower limits" vs. Erick Ayapana claiming the Turbo S was "boring" unless driven hard. Otherwise it felt like it was all the other way.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:05 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
The odd thing is that, reading the text, you'd think that they'd ranked the 488 #3 and not #1. They say a lot more negative things about the car than they do about the Cayman or the Turbo S.

The only exception that comes to mind is that Derek Powell said the 488 was "fun even when driving at the lower limits" vs. Erick Ayapana claiming the Turbo S was "boring" unless driven hard. Otherwise it felt like it was all the other way.
Randy didn't like it as such. He sounded as if it was a point and shoot car as he had issues in the corners with it. He really liked the engine though.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:55 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

That F1 car video made me lol several times. My wife thought I'd lost my mind.

Last edited by bwiele; 09-22-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:41 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Enthusiasts buy 3 pedal cars, posers buy 2 pedal. You can only order a Ferrari with two.
I drove a Ferrari 430 at an Autocross and really enjoyed driving it and am shocked you can't get the gated shifter anymore.

For me driving is all about enjoying the experience of driving yourself and that includes the 3 pedals, gear shift, brake, gas pedal, and the sound of the engine and feel.

If the car does any of these for me it robs me of the fun, no matter how fast it is.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:36 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
That F1 car video made lol several times. My wife thought I'd lost my mind.
It's like watching a world champion ping pong player playing a world class tennis pro.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
It's unfair because it is a different car class comparison. 991 is a great car, but if you have the means to own a 458 or 488 or maybe P 918 don't hold back As for practicability for daily driver etc, you will forget all of that once you drive it.

PF
I don't think that just because a car costs more means that the owner will necessarily enjoy the car more than a lesser priced car. In a similar vein I don't think a higher HP car will necessarily bring the owner more satisfaction. My brother for example owns a 991 Turbo S, which I get to drive on a regular basis. The acceleration is awesome, but to me it's not worth the $75K premium over a 991S. This is not meant to be a criticism for those who own a Turbo, but it just has way more potential than can be approached on the street. Granted that the same can be said for a 991S, but at least it doesn't cost $200K+.

One of my neighbors owns a Ferrari 458 which he purchased from Ferrari of Washington. He's owned the car for about two years, and the last time I talked to him he had less than 1500 miles on the car. When I asked him about the low mileage, he has four other vehicles, he told me that there just isn't too many places where he feels comfortable taking his car. For example he drives into Baltimore regularly to watch the Orioles and the Ravens and dine at the many fine restaurants, but he doesn't want to take his car into the city. So when you have a car which will generate a great deal of attention, where do you take it?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I don't think that just because a car costs more means that the owner will necessarily enjoy the car more than a lesser priced car. In a similar vein I don't think a higher HP car will necessarily bring the owner more satisfaction. My brother for example owns a 991 Turbo S, which I get to drive on a regular basis. The acceleration is awesome, but to me it's not worth the $75K premium over a 991S. This is not meant to be a criticism for those who own a Turbo, but it just has way more potential than can be approached on the street. Granted that the same can be said for a 991S, but at least it doesn't cost $200K+.

One of my neighbors owns a Ferrari 458 which he purchased from Ferrari of Washington. He's owned the car for about two years, and the last time I talked to him he had less than 1500 miles on the car. When I asked him about the low mileage, he has four other vehicles, he told me that there just isn't too many places where he feels comfortable taking his car. For example he drives into Baltimore regularly to watch the Orioles and the Ravens and dine at the many fine restaurants, but he doesn't want to take his car into the city. So when you have a car which will generate a great deal of attention, where do you take it?
He liked the car so much that he ended up buying it, is how I see it though. It is not how much miles you can put into the car, it is how much smiles the car put to your face.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleepy996
If you do not have the means to throw down for a 458 or 488 why not get a 991 Turbo S with low miles and certified ? Exhaust and a tune and you will blow the doors off a 458 and possibly the 488 as well ontop of being reliable and daily drivable. Do it....
Yep!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
He liked the car so much that he ended up buying it, is how I see it though. It is not how much miles you can put into the car, it is how much smiles the car put to your face.
Fortunately for me I don't have to purchase a $300K car to put smiles on my face. A Porsche will do quite fine. OTOH if I had a million dollar a year income, I suppose the price of a Ferrari would be chump change.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:44 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1

Couldn't resist commenting to your jocular post. There are many who believe that all of the aids in sports cars racing have made the drivers nearly equal. The other worldly power of concentration that enabled F1 drivers to flawlessly execute thousands of shifts during the course of a race is no longer required. So no footwork, no rev matching, no finesse.

When Juan Pablo Montoya left F1 for NASCAR, he was asked about how it felt from going from the pinnacle of race car technology to what is in essence a Neanderthal car. His reply: "It was f*** boring. You didn't do anything! Just slam on the gas and brake!" The reporter than commented about all of the shifting. Juan replied " Yeah, but the car just beeps in your earpiece, and you shift."

So maybe there's a grain of truth in that poseur comment.
Good timing with this article.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/the-re...***-1803132786
Old 09-22-2017, 03:53 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

I just recently rode in and got to drive my brother's F430. It's a wonderful car. Way better driving than I expected and the engine is amazing. It's also a gorgeous car that makes most 911's look boring.

But I couldn't believe the attention. It was out of this world. I can't believe how many people were taking pictures of us driving around. I definitely couldn't live with that. If I owned a Ferrari I would only drive it on the weekend early in the morning on mountain roads without traffic.

It really made me appreciate the high performance yet inconspicuous design of the 911.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:40 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The issue the 430 had was its handling, it just wasn't that good - great looking car, sounds great, nice piece of theatre

The 458 was a big step up and the 488GTB another fairly big step up. The engine really is magnificent, certainly the best road legal car/engine I have personally driven.

Quick Reply: 991.2s Vs Ferrari